Cost Of Living in Myanmar

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Myanmar

Whether you're living in Myanmar or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
440,000 MMK
average per month
110,000 MMK
Range
930,000 MMK

Couple
820,000 MMK
average per month
160,000 MMK
Range
1,300,000 MMK

Family
1,300,000 MMK
average per month
380,000 MMK
Range
2,000,000 MMK

Student
330,000 MMK
average per month
55,000 MMK
Range
710,000 MMK
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Myanmar is 440,000 MMK. Expenses can range from 110,000 MMK at the minimum level to 930,000 MMK at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Myanmar is 820,000 MMK. Expenditure can range from 160,000 MMK to 1,300,000 MMK per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Myanmar is 1,300,000 MMK per month. Families spend anywhere from 380,000 MMK to 2,000,000 MMK.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Myanmar is 330,000 MMK. Students spend from 55,000 MMK to 710,000 MMK per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Myanmar

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

110 MMK

110 MMK
110 MMK

Fast food
combo meal

1,100 MMK

780 MMK
1,800 MMK

Restaurant
meal for one

3,600 MMK

2,900 MMK
4,600 MMK

Fine dining
meal for one

9,100 MMK

6,100 MMK
11,000 MMK

Soda
Soft Drink

91 MMK

91 MMK
91 MMK

Cappuccino
or latte

730 MMK

460 MMK
1,100 MMK

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

550 MMK

460 MMK
610 MMK

Loaf of
bread

78 MMK

68 MMK
91 MMK

12
eggs

550 MMK

460 MMK
680 MMK

Fresh whole
chicken

1,300 MMK

990 MMK
1,600 MMK

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

1,400 MMK

1,200 MMK
1,800 MMK

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

780 MMK

680 MMK
910 MMK

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

360 MMK

300 MMK
460 MMK

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

390 MMK

340 MMK
420 MMK

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

380 MMK

330 MMK
420 MMK

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

550 MMK

460 MMK
1,100 MMK

Average car
full tank

3,600 MMK

2,700 MMK
7,300 MMK

Average car
1-day rental

3,600 MMK

2,700 MMK
5,500 MMK

Average car
price

2,700,000 MMK

1,400,000 MMK
3,600,000 MMK

Bus ticket
one way

140 MMK

91 MMK
270 MMK

Car
Service

5,500 MMK

3,600 MMK
11,000 MMK

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

26,000 MMK

6,600 MMK
56,000 MMK

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

33,000 MMK

8,200 MMK
66,000 MMK

Electricity
and water bill
Family

52,000 MMK

11,000 MMK
59,000 MMK

Internet
and cable

5,500 MMK

2,700 MMK
7,300 MMK

Mobile phone
charges

3,600 MMK

2,200 MMK
11,000 MMK

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

1,800 MMK

1,400 MMK
2,700 MMK

One month gym
membership

5,500 MMK

4,400 MMK
11,000 MMK

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

4,600 MMK

3,200 MMK
6,800 MMK

Woman
dress

4,200 MMK

3,000 MMK
14,000 MMK

Woman
shoes

3,900 MMK

2,900 MMK
9,100 MMK

Men
shoes

3,000 MMK

2,500 MMK
6,100 MMK

Men
suit

3,400 MMK

2,700 MMK
18,000 MMK

Regular
t-shirt

1,800 MMK

1,400 MMK
5,500 MMK

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

68,000 MMK

46,000 MMK
180,000 MMK

1-bedroom
apartment

110,000 MMK

68,000 MMK
270,000 MMK

2-bedroom
apartment

140,000 MMK

91,000 MMK
360,000 MMK

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

14,000,000 MMK

9,100,000 MMK
27,000,000 MMK

1-bedroom
apartment

18,000,000 MMK

11,000,000 MMK
68,000,000 MMK

2-bedroom
apartment

55,000,000 MMK

18,000,000 MMK
110,000,000 MMK

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

68,000 MMK

55,000 MMK
91,000 MMK

Double
Bed

55,000 MMK

36,000 MMK
68,000 MMK

Single
Bed

42,000 MMK

32,000 MMK
55,000 MMK

Living
Room

78,000 MMK

61,000 MMK
270,000 MMK

Dining
Table

36,000 MMK

27,000 MMK
68,000 MMK

Sofa
or Couch

50,000 MMK

36,000 MMK
110,000 MMK

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

55,000 MMK

36,000 MMK
110,000 MMK

Fridge
or Freezer

50,000 MMK

32,000 MMK
68,000 MMK

Washing
Machine

61,000 MMK

42,000 MMK
110,000 MMK

Stove
or Cooker

50,000 MMK

39,000 MMK
68,000 MMK

Mobile
Phone

55,000 MMK

46,000 MMK
78,000 MMK

Laptop
or Computer

61,000 MMK

50,000 MMK
110,000 MMK

How do people spend their money in Myanmar?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Myanmar

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW39,000 MMK
AVERAGE160,000 MMK
HIGH330,000 MMK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW6,600 MMK
AVERAGE26,000 MMK
HIGH56,000 MMK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW8,700 MMK
AVERAGE35,000 MMK
HIGH74,000 MMK
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW17,000 MMK
AVERAGE70,000 MMK
HIGH150,000 MMK
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW9,800 MMK
AVERAGE39,000 MMK
HIGH84,000 MMK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW5,500 MMK
AVERAGE22,000 MMK
HIGH46,000 MMK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,200 MMK
AVERAGE8,700 MMK
HIGH19,000 MMK
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW20,000 MMK
AVERAGE79,000 MMK
HIGH170,000 MMK
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Myanmar

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW54,000 MMK
AVERAGE270,000 MMK
HIGH430,000 MMK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW8,200 MMK
AVERAGE33,000 MMK
HIGH66,000 MMK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW20,000 MMK
AVERAGE98,000 MMK
HIGH160,000 MMK
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW23,000 MMK
AVERAGE110,000 MMK
HIGH180,000 MMK
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW18,000 MMK
AVERAGE90,000 MMK
HIGH140,000 MMK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW9,800 MMK
AVERAGE49,000 MMK
HIGH79,000 MMK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW3,300 MMK
AVERAGE16,000 MMK
HIGH26,000 MMK
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW28,000 MMK
AVERAGE140,000 MMK
HIGH220,000 MMK
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Myanmar

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW120,000 MMK
AVERAGE420,000 MMK
HIGH630,000 MMK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW11,000 MMK
AVERAGE52,000 MMK
HIGH59,000 MMK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW31,000 MMK
AVERAGE100,000 MMK
HIGH160,000 MMK
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW69,000 MMK
AVERAGE240,000 MMK
HIGH350,000 MMK
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW31,000 MMK
AVERAGE100,000 MMK
HIGH160,000 MMK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW19,000 MMK
AVERAGE66,000 MMK
HIGH98,000 MMK
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW54,000 MMK
AVERAGE180,000 MMK
HIGH280,000 MMK
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW46,000 MMK
AVERAGE160,000 MMK
HIGH240,000 MMK
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Myanmar

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW13,000 MMK
AVERAGE79,000 MMK
HIGH170,000 MMK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW2,200 MMK
AVERAGE13,000 MMK
HIGH28,000 MMK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW3,800 MMK
AVERAGE23,000 MMK
HIGH50,000 MMK
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW11,000 MMK
AVERAGE66,000 MMK
HIGH140,000 MMK
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW3,300 MMK
AVERAGE20,000 MMK
HIGH43,000 MMK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,700 MMK
AVERAGE16,000 MMK
HIGH36,000 MMK
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW10,000 MMK
AVERAGE62,000 MMK
HIGH140,000 MMK
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW8,200 MMK
AVERAGE49,000 MMK
HIGH110,000 MMK
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Myanmar typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 230,000 MMK with expenditure ranging from 57,000 MMK and 390,000 MMK. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Myanmar ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 31,000 MMK with 7,100 MMK and 52,000 MMK being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 16,000 MMK to 110,000 MMK on commuting with 65,000 MMK being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Myanmar is 120,000 MMK. The cost of groceries can range between 30,000 MMK to 210,000 MMK. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Myanmar allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 15,000 MMK to 110,000 MMK with 64,000 MMK being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 9,300 MMK to 65,000 MMK with 38,000 MMK being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 68,000 MMK per month with 17,000 MMK being the minimum spent amount and 110,000 MMK being the maximum.

Yangon  
©copound