Cost Of Living in Namibia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Namibia

Whether you're living in Namibia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
14,000 NAD
average per month
3,500 NAD
Range
30,000 NAD

Couple
26,000 NAD
average per month
5,300 NAD
Range
42,000 NAD

Family
42,000 NAD
average per month
12,000 NAD
Range
63,000 NAD

Student
11,000 NAD
average per month
1,800 NAD
Range
23,000 NAD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Namibia is 14,000 NAD. Expenses can range from 3,500 NAD at the minimum level to 30,000 NAD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Namibia is 26,000 NAD. Expenditure can range from 5,300 NAD to 42,000 NAD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Namibia is 42,000 NAD per month. Families spend anywhere from 12,000 NAD to 63,000 NAD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Namibia is 11,000 NAD. Students spend from 1,800 NAD to 23,000 NAD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Namibia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

3.5 NAD

3.5 NAD
3.5 NAD

Fast food
combo meal

35 NAD

25 NAD
58 NAD

Restaurant
meal for one

120 NAD

92 NAD
150 NAD

Fine dining
meal for one

290 NAD

190 NAD
350 NAD

Soda
Soft Drink

2.9 NAD

2.9 NAD
2.9 NAD

Cappuccino
or latte

23 NAD

15 NAD
35 NAD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

18 NAD

15 NAD
19 NAD

Loaf of
bread

2.5 NAD

2.2 NAD
2.9 NAD

12
eggs

18 NAD

15 NAD
22 NAD

Fresh whole
chicken

41 NAD

32 NAD
50 NAD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

46 NAD

39 NAD
58 NAD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

25 NAD

22 NAD
29 NAD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

12 NAD

9.7 NAD
15 NAD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

13 NAD

11 NAD
13 NAD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

12 NAD

11 NAD
13 NAD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

18 NAD

15 NAD
35 NAD

Average car
full tank

120 NAD

88 NAD
230 NAD

Average car
1-day rental

120 NAD

88 NAD
180 NAD

Average car
price

88,000 NAD

44,000 NAD
120,000 NAD

Bus ticket
one way

4.4 NAD

2.9 NAD
8.8 NAD

Car
Service

180 NAD

120 NAD
350 NAD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

840 NAD

210 NAD
1,800 NAD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,100 NAD

260 NAD
2,100 NAD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,700 NAD

370 NAD
1,900 NAD

Internet
and cable

180 NAD

88 NAD
230 NAD

Mobile phone
charges

120 NAD

70 NAD
350 NAD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

58 NAD

44 NAD
88 NAD

One month gym
membership

180 NAD

140 NAD
350 NAD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

150 NAD

100 NAD
220 NAD

Woman
dress

130 NAD

97 NAD
440 NAD

Woman
shoes

130 NAD

92 NAD
290 NAD

Men
shoes

97 NAD

80 NAD
190 NAD

Men
suit

110 NAD

88 NAD
580 NAD

Regular
t-shirt

58 NAD

44 NAD
180 NAD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

2,200 NAD

1,500 NAD
5,800 NAD

1-bedroom
apartment

3,500 NAD

2,200 NAD
8,800 NAD

2-bedroom
apartment

4,400 NAD

2,900 NAD
12,000 NAD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

440,000 NAD

290,000 NAD
880,000 NAD

1-bedroom
apartment

580,000 NAD

350,000 NAD
2,200,000 NAD

2-bedroom
apartment

1,800,000 NAD

580,000 NAD
3,500,000 NAD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

2,200 NAD

1,800 NAD
2,900 NAD

Double
Bed

1,800 NAD

1,200 NAD
2,200 NAD

Single
Bed

1,300 NAD

1,000 NAD
1,800 NAD

Living
Room

2,500 NAD

1,900 NAD
8,800 NAD

Dining
Table

1,200 NAD

880 NAD
2,200 NAD

Sofa
or Couch

1,600 NAD

1,200 NAD
3,500 NAD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,800 NAD

1,200 NAD
3,500 NAD

Fridge
or Freezer

1,600 NAD

1,000 NAD
2,200 NAD

Washing
Machine

1,900 NAD

1,300 NAD
3,500 NAD

Stove
or Cooker

1,600 NAD

1,300 NAD
2,200 NAD

Mobile
Phone

1,800 NAD

1,500 NAD
2,500 NAD

Laptop
or Computer

1,900 NAD

1,600 NAD
3,500 NAD

How do people spend their money in Namibia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Namibia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,300 NAD
AVERAGE5,000 NAD
HIGH11,000 NAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW210 NAD
AVERAGE840 NAD
HIGH1,800 NAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW280 NAD
AVERAGE1,100 NAD
HIGH2,400 NAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW560 NAD
AVERAGE2,200 NAD
HIGH4,800 NAD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW320 NAD
AVERAGE1,300 NAD
HIGH2,700 NAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW180 NAD
AVERAGE700 NAD
HIGH1,500 NAD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW70 NAD
AVERAGE280 NAD
HIGH600 NAD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW630 NAD
AVERAGE2,500 NAD
HIGH5,400 NAD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Namibia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,700 NAD
AVERAGE8,700 NAD
HIGH14,000 NAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW260 NAD
AVERAGE1,100 NAD
HIGH2,100 NAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW630 NAD
AVERAGE3,200 NAD
HIGH5,000 NAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW740 NAD
AVERAGE3,700 NAD
HIGH5,900 NAD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW580 NAD
AVERAGE2,900 NAD
HIGH4,600 NAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW320 NAD
AVERAGE1,600 NAD
HIGH2,500 NAD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW110 NAD
AVERAGE530 NAD
HIGH840 NAD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW890 NAD
AVERAGE4,500 NAD
HIGH7,100 NAD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Namibia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW3,900 NAD
AVERAGE13,000 NAD
HIGH20,000 NAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW370 NAD
AVERAGE1,700 NAD
HIGH1,900 NAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW980 NAD
AVERAGE3,400 NAD
HIGH5,000 NAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW2,200 NAD
AVERAGE7,600 NAD
HIGH11,000 NAD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW980 NAD
AVERAGE3,400 NAD
HIGH5,000 NAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW610 NAD
AVERAGE2,100 NAD
HIGH3,200 NAD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,700 NAD
AVERAGE5,900 NAD
HIGH8,800 NAD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,500 NAD
AVERAGE5,000 NAD
HIGH7,600 NAD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Namibia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW420 NAD
AVERAGE2,500 NAD
HIGH5,500 NAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW70 NAD
AVERAGE420 NAD
HIGH910 NAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW120 NAD
AVERAGE740 NAD
HIGH1,600 NAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW350 NAD
AVERAGE2,100 NAD
HIGH4,600 NAD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW110 NAD
AVERAGE630 NAD
HIGH1,400 NAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW88 NAD
AVERAGE530 NAD
HIGH1,100 NAD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW330 NAD
AVERAGE2,000 NAD
HIGH4,300 NAD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW260 NAD
AVERAGE1,600 NAD
HIGH3,400 NAD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Namibia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 7,400 NAD with expenditure ranging from 1,800 NAD and 13,000 NAD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Namibia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,000 NAD with 230 NAD and 1,700 NAD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 500 NAD to 3,500 NAD on commuting with 2,100 NAD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Namibia is 3,900 NAD. The cost of groceries can range between 960 NAD to 6,600 NAD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Namibia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 490 NAD to 3,400 NAD with 2,000 NAD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 300 NAD to 2,100 NAD with 1,200 NAD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 2,200 NAD per month with 560 NAD being the minimum spent amount and 3,600 NAD being the maximum.

©copound