Cost Of Living in Nepal

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Nepal

Whether you're living in Nepal or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
65,000 NPR
average per month
16,000 NPR
Range
140,000 NPR

Couple
120,000 NPR
average per month
24,000 NPR
Range
190,000 NPR

Family
190,000 NPR
average per month
57,000 NPR
Range
290,000 NPR

Student
49,000 NPR
average per month
8,100 NPR
Range
110,000 NPR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Nepal is 65,000 NPR. Expenses can range from 16,000 NPR at the minimum level to 140,000 NPR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Nepal is 120,000 NPR. Expenditure can range from 24,000 NPR to 190,000 NPR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Nepal is 190,000 NPR per month. Families spend anywhere from 57,000 NPR to 290,000 NPR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Nepal is 49,000 NPR. Students spend from 8,100 NPR to 110,000 NPR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Nepal

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

16 NPR

16 NPR
16 NPR

Fast food
combo meal

160 NPR

120 NPR
270 NPR

Restaurant
meal for one

540 NPR

430 NPR
680 NPR

Fine dining
meal for one

1,400 NPR

900 NPR
1,600 NPR

Soda
Soft Drink

14 NPR

14 NPR
14 NPR

Cappuccino
or latte

110 NPR

68 NPR
160 NPR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

81 NPR

68 NPR
90 NPR

Loaf of
bread

12 NPR

10 NPR
14 NPR

12
eggs

81 NPR

68 NPR
100 NPR

Fresh whole
chicken

190 NPR

150 NPR
230 NPR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

210 NPR

180 NPR
270 NPR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

120 NPR

100 NPR
140 NPR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

54 NPR

45 NPR
68 NPR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

58 NPR

51 NPR
62 NPR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

56 NPR

49 NPR
62 NPR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

81 NPR

68 NPR
160 NPR

Average car
full tank

540 NPR

410 NPR
1,100 NPR

Average car
1-day rental

540 NPR

410 NPR
810 NPR

Average car
price

410,000 NPR

200,000 NPR
540,000 NPR

Bus ticket
one way

20 NPR

14 NPR
41 NPR

Car
Service

810 NPR

540 NPR
1,600 NPR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

3,900 NPR

970 NPR
8,300 NPR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

4,900 NPR

1,200 NPR
9,700 NPR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

7,800 NPR

1,700 NPR
8,800 NPR

Internet
and cable

810 NPR

410 NPR
1,100 NPR

Mobile phone
charges

540 NPR

320 NPR
1,600 NPR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

270 NPR

200 NPR
410 NPR

One month gym
membership

810 NPR

650 NPR
1,600 NPR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

680 NPR

480 NPR
1,000 NPR

Woman
dress

620 NPR

450 NPR
2,000 NPR

Woman
shoes

580 NPR

430 NPR
1,400 NPR

Men
shoes

450 NPR

370 NPR
900 NPR

Men
suit

510 NPR

410 NPR
2,700 NPR

Regular
t-shirt

270 NPR

200 NPR
810 NPR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

10,000 NPR

6,800 NPR
27,000 NPR

1-bedroom
apartment

16,000 NPR

10,000 NPR
41,000 NPR

2-bedroom
apartment

20,000 NPR

14,000 NPR
54,000 NPR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

2,000,000 NPR

1,400,000 NPR
4,100,000 NPR

1-bedroom
apartment

2,700,000 NPR

1,600,000 NPR
10,000,000 NPR

2-bedroom
apartment

8,100,000 NPR

2,700,000 NPR
16,000,000 NPR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

10,000 NPR

8,100 NPR
14,000 NPR

Double
Bed

8,100 NPR

5,400 NPR
10,000 NPR

Single
Bed

6,200 NPR

4,800 NPR
8,100 NPR

Living
Room

12,000 NPR

9,000 NPR
41,000 NPR

Dining
Table

5,400 NPR

4,100 NPR
10,000 NPR

Sofa
or Couch

7,400 NPR

5,400 NPR
16,000 NPR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

8,100 NPR

5,400 NPR
16,000 NPR

Fridge
or Freezer

7,400 NPR

4,800 NPR
10,000 NPR

Washing
Machine

9,000 NPR

6,200 NPR
16,000 NPR

Stove
or Cooker

7,400 NPR

5,800 NPR
10,000 NPR

Mobile
Phone

8,100 NPR

6,800 NPR
12,000 NPR

Laptop
or Computer

9,000 NPR

7,400 NPR
16,000 NPR

How do people spend their money in Nepal?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Nepal

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW5,800 NPR
AVERAGE23,000 NPR
HIGH50,000 NPR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW970 NPR
AVERAGE3,900 NPR
HIGH8,300 NPR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW1,300 NPR
AVERAGE5,200 NPR
HIGH11,000 NPR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW2,600 NPR
AVERAGE10,000 NPR
HIGH22,000 NPR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,500 NPR
AVERAGE5,800 NPR
HIGH12,000 NPR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW810 NPR
AVERAGE3,200 NPR
HIGH6,900 NPR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW320 NPR
AVERAGE1,300 NPR
HIGH2,800 NPR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW2,900 NPR
AVERAGE12,000 NPR
HIGH25,000 NPR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Nepal

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW8,000 NPR
AVERAGE40,000 NPR
HIGH64,000 NPR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW1,200 NPR
AVERAGE4,900 NPR
HIGH9,700 NPR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW2,900 NPR
AVERAGE15,000 NPR
HIGH23,000 NPR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW3,400 NPR
AVERAGE17,000 NPR
HIGH27,000 NPR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW2,700 NPR
AVERAGE13,000 NPR
HIGH21,000 NPR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW1,500 NPR
AVERAGE7,300 NPR
HIGH12,000 NPR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW490 NPR
AVERAGE2,400 NPR
HIGH3,900 NPR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW4,100 NPR
AVERAGE21,000 NPR
HIGH33,000 NPR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Nepal

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW18,000 NPR
AVERAGE62,000 NPR
HIGH93,000 NPR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW1,700 NPR
AVERAGE7,800 NPR
HIGH8,800 NPR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW4,500 NPR
AVERAGE16,000 NPR
HIGH23,000 NPR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW10,000 NPR
AVERAGE35,000 NPR
HIGH53,000 NPR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW4,500 NPR
AVERAGE16,000 NPR
HIGH23,000 NPR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,800 NPR
AVERAGE9,700 NPR
HIGH15,000 NPR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW7,900 NPR
AVERAGE27,000 NPR
HIGH41,000 NPR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW6,800 NPR
AVERAGE23,000 NPR
HIGH35,000 NPR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Nepal

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW1,900 NPR
AVERAGE12,000 NPR
HIGH25,000 NPR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW320 NPR
AVERAGE1,900 NPR
HIGH4,200 NPR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW570 NPR
AVERAGE3,400 NPR
HIGH7,400 NPR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW1,600 NPR
AVERAGE9,700 NPR
HIGH21,000 NPR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW490 NPR
AVERAGE2,900 NPR
HIGH6,300 NPR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW410 NPR
AVERAGE2,400 NPR
HIGH5,300 NPR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW1,500 NPR
AVERAGE9,200 NPR
HIGH20,000 NPR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW1,200 NPR
AVERAGE7,300 NPR
HIGH16,000 NPR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Nepal typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 34,000 NPR with expenditure ranging from 8,500 NPR and 58,000 NPR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Nepal ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 4,600 NPR with 1,100 NPR and 7,700 NPR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 2,300 NPR to 16,000 NPR on commuting with 9,700 NPR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Nepal is 18,000 NPR. The cost of groceries can range between 4,500 NPR to 31,000 NPR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Nepal allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 2,300 NPR to 16,000 NPR with 9,400 NPR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 1,400 NPR to 9,600 NPR with 5,700 NPR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 10,000 NPR per month with 2,600 NPR being the minimum spent amount and 17,000 NPR being the maximum.

©copound