Cost Of Living in New Caledonia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in New Caledonia

Whether you're living in New Caledonia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
70,000 XPF
average per month
18,000 XPF
Range
150,000 XPF

Couple
130,000 XPF
average per month
26,000 XPF
Range
210,000 XPF

Family
210,000 XPF
average per month
62,000 XPF
Range
320,000 XPF

Student
53,000 XPF
average per month
8,800 XPF
Range
110,000 XPF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in New Caledonia is 70,000 XPF. Expenses can range from 18,000 XPF at the minimum level to 150,000 XPF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in New Caledonia is 130,000 XPF. Expenditure can range from 26,000 XPF to 210,000 XPF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in New Caledonia is 210,000 XPF per month. Families spend anywhere from 62,000 XPF to 320,000 XPF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in New Caledonia is 53,000 XPF. Students spend from 8,800 XPF to 110,000 XPF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in New Caledonia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

18 XPF

18 XPF
18 XPF

Fast food
combo meal

180 XPF

130 XPF
290 XPF

Restaurant
meal for one

590 XPF

460 XPF
730 XPF

Fine dining
meal for one

1,500 XPF

980 XPF
1,800 XPF

Soda
Soft Drink

15 XPF

15 XPF
15 XPF

Cappuccino
or latte

120 XPF

73 XPF
180 XPF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

88 XPF

73 XPF
98 XPF

Loaf of
bread

13 XPF

11 XPF
15 XPF

12
eggs

88 XPF

73 XPF
110 XPF

Fresh whole
chicken

200 XPF

160 XPF
250 XPF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

230 XPF

200 XPF
290 XPF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

130 XPF

110 XPF
150 XPF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

59 XPF

49 XPF
73 XPF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

63 XPF

55 XPF
68 XPF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

61 XPF

53 XPF
68 XPF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

88 XPF

73 XPF
180 XPF

Average car
full tank

590 XPF

440 XPF
1,200 XPF

Average car
1-day rental

590 XPF

440 XPF
880 XPF

Average car
price

440,000 XPF

220,000 XPF
590,000 XPF

Bus ticket
one way

22 XPF

15 XPF
44 XPF

Car
Service

880 XPF

590 XPF
1,800 XPF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

4,200 XPF

1,100 XPF
9,000 XPF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

5,300 XPF

1,300 XPF
11,000 XPF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

8,400 XPF

1,800 XPF
9,500 XPF

Internet
and cable

880 XPF

440 XPF
1,200 XPF

Mobile phone
charges

590 XPF

350 XPF
1,800 XPF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

290 XPF

220 XPF
440 XPF

One month gym
membership

880 XPF

700 XPF
1,800 XPF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

730 XPF

520 XPF
1,100 XPF

Woman
dress

680 XPF

490 XPF
2,200 XPF

Woman
shoes

630 XPF

460 XPF
1,500 XPF

Men
shoes

490 XPF

400 XPF
980 XPF

Men
suit

550 XPF

440 XPF
2,900 XPF

Regular
t-shirt

290 XPF

220 XPF
880 XPF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

11,000 XPF

7,300 XPF
29,000 XPF

1-bedroom
apartment

18,000 XPF

11,000 XPF
44,000 XPF

2-bedroom
apartment

22,000 XPF

15,000 XPF
59,000 XPF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

2,200,000 XPF

1,500,000 XPF
4,400,000 XPF

1-bedroom
apartment

2,900,000 XPF

1,800,000 XPF
11,000,000 XPF

2-bedroom
apartment

8,800,000 XPF

2,900,000 XPF
18,000,000 XPF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

11,000 XPF

8,800 XPF
15,000 XPF

Double
Bed

8,800 XPF

5,900 XPF
11,000 XPF

Single
Bed

6,800 XPF

5,200 XPF
8,800 XPF

Living
Room

13,000 XPF

9,800 XPF
44,000 XPF

Dining
Table

5,900 XPF

4,400 XPF
11,000 XPF

Sofa
or Couch

8,000 XPF

5,900 XPF
18,000 XPF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

8,800 XPF

5,900 XPF
18,000 XPF

Fridge
or Freezer

8,000 XPF

5,200 XPF
11,000 XPF

Washing
Machine

9,800 XPF

6,800 XPF
18,000 XPF

Stove
or Cooker

8,000 XPF

6,300 XPF
11,000 XPF

Mobile
Phone

8,800 XPF

7,300 XPF
13,000 XPF

Laptop
or Computer

9,800 XPF

8,000 XPF
18,000 XPF

How do people spend their money in New Caledonia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in New Caledonia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW6,300 XPF
AVERAGE25,000 XPF
HIGH54,000 XPF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,100 XPF
AVERAGE4,200 XPF
HIGH9,000 XPF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW1,400 XPF
AVERAGE5,600 XPF
HIGH12,000 XPF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW2,800 XPF
AVERAGE11,000 XPF
HIGH24,000 XPF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,600 XPF
AVERAGE6,300 XPF
HIGH13,000 XPF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW880 XPF
AVERAGE3,500 XPF
HIGH7,500 XPF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW350 XPF
AVERAGE1,400 XPF
HIGH3,000 XPF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW3,200 XPF
AVERAGE13,000 XPF
HIGH27,000 XPF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in New Caledonia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW8,700 XPF
AVERAGE44,000 XPF
HIGH70,000 XPF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW1,300 XPF
AVERAGE5,300 XPF
HIGH11,000 XPF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW3,200 XPF
AVERAGE16,000 XPF
HIGH25,000 XPF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW3,700 XPF
AVERAGE18,000 XPF
HIGH30,000 XPF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW2,900 XPF
AVERAGE15,000 XPF
HIGH23,000 XPF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW1,600 XPF
AVERAGE7,900 XPF
HIGH13,000 XPF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW530 XPF
AVERAGE2,600 XPF
HIGH4,200 XPF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW4,500 XPF
AVERAGE22,000 XPF
HIGH36,000 XPF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in New Caledonia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW20,000 XPF
AVERAGE68,000 XPF
HIGH100,000 XPF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW1,800 XPF
AVERAGE8,400 XPF
HIGH9,500 XPF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW4,900 XPF
AVERAGE17,000 XPF
HIGH25,000 XPF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW11,000 XPF
AVERAGE38,000 XPF
HIGH57,000 XPF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW4,900 XPF
AVERAGE17,000 XPF
HIGH25,000 XPF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,100 XPF
AVERAGE11,000 XPF
HIGH16,000 XPF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW8,600 XPF
AVERAGE30,000 XPF
HIGH44,000 XPF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW7,400 XPF
AVERAGE25,000 XPF
HIGH38,000 XPF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in New Caledonia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW2,100 XPF
AVERAGE13,000 XPF
HIGH27,000 XPF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW350 XPF
AVERAGE2,100 XPF
HIGH4,600 XPF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW620 XPF
AVERAGE3,700 XPF
HIGH8,000 XPF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW1,800 XPF
AVERAGE11,000 XPF
HIGH23,000 XPF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW530 XPF
AVERAGE3,200 XPF
HIGH6,900 XPF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW440 XPF
AVERAGE2,600 XPF
HIGH5,700 XPF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW1,700 XPF
AVERAGE10,000 XPF
HIGH22,000 XPF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW1,300 XPF
AVERAGE7,900 XPF
HIGH17,000 XPF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in New Caledonia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 37,000 XPF with expenditure ranging from 9,200 XPF and 63,000 XPF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in New Caledonia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 5,000 XPF with 1,100 XPF and 8,400 XPF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 2,500 XPF to 18,000 XPF on commuting with 11,000 XPF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in New Caledonia is 20,000 XPF. The cost of groceries can range between 4,800 XPF to 33,000 XPF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in New Caledonia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 2,500 XPF to 17,000 XPF with 10,000 XPF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 1,500 XPF to 10,000 XPF with 6,200 XPF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 11,000 XPF per month with 2,800 XPF being the minimum spent amount and 18,000 XPF being the maximum.

©copound