Cost Of Living in New Zealand

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in New Zealand

Whether you're living in New Zealand or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
6,500 NZD
average per month
1,600 NZD
Range
14,000 NZD

Couple
12,000 NZD
average per month
2,400 NZD
Range
20,000 NZD

Family
20,000 NZD
average per month
5,700 NZD
Range
29,000 NZD

Student
4,900 NZD
average per month
810 NZD
Range
11,000 NZD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in New Zealand is 6,500 NZD. Expenses can range from 1,600 NZD at the minimum level to 14,000 NZD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in New Zealand is 12,000 NZD. Expenditure can range from 2,400 NZD to 20,000 NZD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in New Zealand is 20,000 NZD per month. Families spend anywhere from 5,700 NZD to 29,000 NZD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in New Zealand is 4,900 NZD. Students spend from 810 NZD to 11,000 NZD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in New Zealand

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.6 NZD

1.6 NZD
1.6 NZD

Fast food
combo meal

16 NZD

12 NZD
27 NZD

Restaurant
meal for one

54 NZD

43 NZD
68 NZD

Fine dining
meal for one

140 NZD

90 NZD
160 NZD

Soda
Soft Drink

1.4 NZD

1.4 NZD
1.4 NZD

Cappuccino
or latte

11 NZD

6.8 NZD
16 NZD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

8.1 NZD

6.8 NZD
9.0 NZD

Loaf of
bread

1.2 NZD

1.0 NZD
1.4 NZD

12
eggs

8.1 NZD

6.8 NZD
10 NZD

Fresh whole
chicken

19 NZD

15 NZD
23 NZD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

21 NZD

18 NZD
27 NZD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

12 NZD

10 NZD
14 NZD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

5.4 NZD

4.5 NZD
6.8 NZD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

5.8 NZD

5.1 NZD
6.3 NZD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

5.6 NZD

4.9 NZD
6.3 NZD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

8.1 NZD

6.8 NZD
16 NZD

Average car
full tank

54 NZD

41 NZD
110 NZD

Average car
1-day rental

54 NZD

41 NZD
81 NZD

Average car
price

41,000 NZD

20,000 NZD
54,000 NZD

Bus ticket
one way

2.0 NZD

1.4 NZD
4.1 NZD

Car
Service

81 NZD

54 NZD
160 NZD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

390 NZD

98 NZD
830 NZD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

490 NZD

120 NZD
980 NZD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

780 NZD

170 NZD
880 NZD

Internet
and cable

81 NZD

41 NZD
110 NZD

Mobile phone
charges

54 NZD

33 NZD
160 NZD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

27 NZD

20 NZD
41 NZD

One month gym
membership

81 NZD

65 NZD
160 NZD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

68 NZD

48 NZD
100 NZD

Woman
dress

63 NZD

45 NZD
200 NZD

Woman
shoes

58 NZD

43 NZD
140 NZD

Men
shoes

45 NZD

37 NZD
90 NZD

Men
suit

51 NZD

41 NZD
270 NZD

Regular
t-shirt

27 NZD

20 NZD
81 NZD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,000 NZD

680 NZD
2,700 NZD

1-bedroom
apartment

1,600 NZD

1,000 NZD
4,100 NZD

2-bedroom
apartment

2,000 NZD

1,400 NZD
5,400 NZD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

200,000 NZD

140,000 NZD
410,000 NZD

1-bedroom
apartment

270,000 NZD

160,000 NZD
1,000,000 NZD

2-bedroom
apartment

810,000 NZD

270,000 NZD
1,600,000 NZD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,000 NZD

810 NZD
1,400 NZD

Double
Bed

810 NZD

540 NZD
1,000 NZD

Single
Bed

630 NZD

480 NZD
810 NZD

Living
Room

1,200 NZD

900 NZD
4,100 NZD

Dining
Table

540 NZD

410 NZD
1,000 NZD

Sofa
or Couch

740 NZD

540 NZD
1,600 NZD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

810 NZD

540 NZD
1,600 NZD

Fridge
or Freezer

740 NZD

480 NZD
1,000 NZD

Washing
Machine

900 NZD

630 NZD
1,600 NZD

Stove
or Cooker

740 NZD

580 NZD
1,000 NZD

Mobile
Phone

810 NZD

680 NZD
1,200 NZD

Laptop
or Computer

900 NZD

740 NZD
1,600 NZD

How do people spend their money in New Zealand?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in New Zealand

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW590 NZD
AVERAGE2,300 NZD
HIGH5,000 NZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW98 NZD
AVERAGE390 NZD
HIGH830 NZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW130 NZD
AVERAGE520 NZD
HIGH1,100 NZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW260 NZD
AVERAGE1,000 NZD
HIGH2,200 NZD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW150 NZD
AVERAGE590 NZD
HIGH1,200 NZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW81 NZD
AVERAGE330 NZD
HIGH690 NZD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW33 NZD
AVERAGE130 NZD
HIGH280 NZD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW290 NZD
AVERAGE1,200 NZD
HIGH2,500 NZD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in New Zealand

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW810 NZD
AVERAGE4,000 NZD
HIGH6,400 NZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW120 NZD
AVERAGE490 NZD
HIGH980 NZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW290 NZD
AVERAGE1,500 NZD
HIGH2,300 NZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW340 NZD
AVERAGE1,700 NZD
HIGH2,700 NZD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW270 NZD
AVERAGE1,300 NZD
HIGH2,100 NZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW150 NZD
AVERAGE730 NZD
HIGH1,200 NZD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW49 NZD
AVERAGE240 NZD
HIGH390 NZD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW410 NZD
AVERAGE2,100 NZD
HIGH3,300 NZD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in New Zealand

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,800 NZD
AVERAGE6,200 NZD
HIGH9,400 NZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW170 NZD
AVERAGE780 NZD
HIGH880 NZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW460 NZD
AVERAGE1,600 NZD
HIGH2,300 NZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,000 NZD
AVERAGE3,500 NZD
HIGH5,300 NZD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW460 NZD
AVERAGE1,600 NZD
HIGH2,300 NZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW280 NZD
AVERAGE980 NZD
HIGH1,500 NZD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW800 NZD
AVERAGE2,700 NZD
HIGH4,100 NZD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW680 NZD
AVERAGE2,300 NZD
HIGH3,500 NZD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in New Zealand

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW200 NZD
AVERAGE1,200 NZD
HIGH2,500 NZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW33 NZD
AVERAGE200 NZD
HIGH420 NZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW57 NZD
AVERAGE340 NZD
HIGH740 NZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW160 NZD
AVERAGE980 NZD
HIGH2,100 NZD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW49 NZD
AVERAGE290 NZD
HIGH630 NZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW41 NZD
AVERAGE240 NZD
HIGH530 NZD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW150 NZD
AVERAGE930 NZD
HIGH2,000 NZD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW120 NZD
AVERAGE730 NZD
HIGH1,600 NZD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in New Zealand typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,400 NZD with expenditure ranging from 850 NZD and 5,800 NZD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in New Zealand ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 460 NZD with 110 NZD and 780 NZD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 230 NZD to 1,600 NZD on commuting with 970 NZD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in New Zealand is 1,800 NZD. The cost of groceries can range between 450 NZD to 3,100 NZD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in New Zealand allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 230 NZD to 1,600 NZD with 950 NZD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 140 NZD to 960 NZD with 570 NZD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,000 NZD per month with 260 NZD being the minimum spent amount and 1,700 NZD being the maximum.

©copound