Cost Of Living in Nicaragua

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Nicaragua

Whether you're living in Nicaragua or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
15,000 NIO
average per month
3,800 NIO
Range
32,000 NIO

Couple
29,000 NIO
average per month
5,700 NIO
Range
46,000 NIO

Family
46,000 NIO
average per month
13,000 NIO
Range
68,000 NIO

Student
11,000 NIO
average per month
1,900 NIO
Range
25,000 NIO
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Nicaragua is 15,000 NIO. Expenses can range from 3,800 NIO at the minimum level to 32,000 NIO at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Nicaragua is 29,000 NIO. Expenditure can range from 5,700 NIO to 46,000 NIO per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Nicaragua is 46,000 NIO per month. Families spend anywhere from 13,000 NIO to 68,000 NIO.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Nicaragua is 11,000 NIO. Students spend from 1,900 NIO to 25,000 NIO per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Nicaragua

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

3.8 NIO

3.8 NIO
3.8 NIO

Fast food
combo meal

38 NIO

27 NIO
63 NIO

Restaurant
meal for one

130 NIO

100 NIO
160 NIO

Fine dining
meal for one

320 NIO

210 NIO
380 NIO

Soda
Soft Drink

3.2 NIO

3.2 NIO
3.2 NIO

Cappuccino
or latte

25 NIO

16 NIO
38 NIO

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

19 NIO

16 NIO
21 NIO

Loaf of
bread

2.7 NIO

2.4 NIO
3.2 NIO

12
eggs

19 NIO

16 NIO
24 NIO

Fresh whole
chicken

44 NIO

35 NIO
54 NIO

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

50 NIO

42 NIO
63 NIO

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

27 NIO

24 NIO
32 NIO

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

13 NIO

11 NIO
16 NIO

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

14 NIO

12 NIO
15 NIO

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

13 NIO

12 NIO
15 NIO

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

19 NIO

16 NIO
38 NIO

Average car
full tank

130 NIO

95 NIO
250 NIO

Average car
1-day rental

130 NIO

95 NIO
190 NIO

Average car
price

95,000 NIO

48,000 NIO
130,000 NIO

Bus ticket
one way

4.8 NIO

3.2 NIO
9.5 NIO

Car
Service

190 NIO

130 NIO
380 NIO

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

910 NIO

230 NIO
1,900 NIO

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,100 NIO

290 NIO
2,300 NIO

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,800 NIO

400 NIO
2,100 NIO

Internet
and cable

190 NIO

95 NIO
250 NIO

Mobile phone
charges

130 NIO

76 NIO
380 NIO

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

63 NIO

48 NIO
95 NIO

One month gym
membership

190 NIO

150 NIO
380 NIO

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

160 NIO

110 NIO
240 NIO

Woman
dress

150 NIO

110 NIO
480 NIO

Woman
shoes

140 NIO

100 NIO
320 NIO

Men
shoes

110 NIO

86 NIO
210 NIO

Men
suit

120 NIO

95 NIO
630 NIO

Regular
t-shirt

63 NIO

48 NIO
190 NIO

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

2,400 NIO

1,600 NIO
6,300 NIO

1-bedroom
apartment

3,800 NIO

2,400 NIO
9,500 NIO

2-bedroom
apartment

4,800 NIO

3,200 NIO
13,000 NIO

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

480,000 NIO

320,000 NIO
950,000 NIO

1-bedroom
apartment

630,000 NIO

380,000 NIO
2,400,000 NIO

2-bedroom
apartment

1,900,000 NIO

630,000 NIO
3,800,000 NIO

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

2,400 NIO

1,900 NIO
3,200 NIO

Double
Bed

1,900 NIO

1,300 NIO
2,400 NIO

Single
Bed

1,500 NIO

1,100 NIO
1,900 NIO

Living
Room

2,700 NIO

2,100 NIO
9,500 NIO

Dining
Table

1,300 NIO

950 NIO
2,400 NIO

Sofa
or Couch

1,700 NIO

1,300 NIO
3,800 NIO

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,900 NIO

1,300 NIO
3,800 NIO

Fridge
or Freezer

1,700 NIO

1,100 NIO
2,400 NIO

Washing
Machine

2,100 NIO

1,500 NIO
3,800 NIO

Stove
or Cooker

1,700 NIO

1,400 NIO
2,400 NIO

Mobile
Phone

1,900 NIO

1,600 NIO
2,700 NIO

Laptop
or Computer

2,100 NIO

1,700 NIO
3,800 NIO

How do people spend their money in Nicaragua?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Nicaragua

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,400 NIO
AVERAGE5,500 NIO
HIGH12,000 NIO
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW230 NIO
AVERAGE910 NIO
HIGH1,900 NIO
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW300 NIO
AVERAGE1,200 NIO
HIGH2,600 NIO
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW610 NIO
AVERAGE2,400 NIO
HIGH5,200 NIO
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW340 NIO
AVERAGE1,400 NIO
HIGH2,900 NIO
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW190 NIO
AVERAGE760 NIO
HIGH1,600 NIO
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW76 NIO
AVERAGE300 NIO
HIGH650 NIO
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW680 NIO
AVERAGE2,700 NIO
HIGH5,800 NIO
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Nicaragua

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,900 NIO
AVERAGE9,400 NIO
HIGH15,000 NIO
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW290 NIO
AVERAGE1,100 NIO
HIGH2,300 NIO
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW680 NIO
AVERAGE3,400 NIO
HIGH5,500 NIO
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW800 NIO
AVERAGE4,000 NIO
HIGH6,400 NIO
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW630 NIO
AVERAGE3,100 NIO
HIGH5,000 NIO
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW340 NIO
AVERAGE1,700 NIO
HIGH2,700 NIO
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW110 NIO
AVERAGE570 NIO
HIGH910 NIO
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW970 NIO
AVERAGE4,800 NIO
HIGH7,800 NIO
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Nicaragua

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW4,300 NIO
AVERAGE15,000 NIO
HIGH22,000 NIO
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW400 NIO
AVERAGE1,800 NIO
HIGH2,100 NIO
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,100 NIO
AVERAGE3,600 NIO
HIGH5,500 NIO
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW2,400 NIO
AVERAGE8,200 NIO
HIGH12,000 NIO
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,100 NIO
AVERAGE3,600 NIO
HIGH5,500 NIO
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW670 NIO
AVERAGE2,300 NIO
HIGH3,400 NIO
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,900 NIO
AVERAGE6,400 NIO
HIGH9,600 NIO
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,600 NIO
AVERAGE5,500 NIO
HIGH8,200 NIO
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Nicaragua

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW460 NIO
AVERAGE2,700 NIO
HIGH5,900 NIO
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW76 NIO
AVERAGE460 NIO
HIGH990 NIO
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW130 NIO
AVERAGE800 NIO
HIGH1,700 NIO
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW380 NIO
AVERAGE2,300 NIO
HIGH4,900 NIO
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW110 NIO
AVERAGE680 NIO
HIGH1,500 NIO
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW95 NIO
AVERAGE570 NIO
HIGH1,200 NIO
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW360 NIO
AVERAGE2,200 NIO
HIGH4,700 NIO
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW290 NIO
AVERAGE1,700 NIO
HIGH3,700 NIO
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Nicaragua typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 8,100 NIO with expenditure ranging from 2,000 NIO and 14,000 NIO. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Nicaragua ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,100 NIO with 250 NIO and 1,800 NIO being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 550 NIO to 3,800 NIO on commuting with 2,300 NIO being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Nicaragua is 4,200 NIO. The cost of groceries can range between 1,000 NIO to 7,200 NIO. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Nicaragua allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 540 NIO to 3,700 NIO with 2,200 NIO being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 320 NIO to 2,300 NIO with 1,300 NIO being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 2,400 NIO per month with 600 NIO being the minimum spent amount and 4,000 NIO being the maximum.

©copound