Cost Of Living in Nigeria

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Nigeria

Whether you're living in Nigeria or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
270,000 NGN
average per month
68,000 NGN
Range
580,000 NGN

Couple
510,000 NGN
average per month
100,000 NGN
Range
820,000 NGN

Family
820,000 NGN
average per month
240,000 NGN
Range
1,200,000 NGN

Student
200,000 NGN
average per month
34,000 NGN
Range
440,000 NGN
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Nigeria is 270,000 NGN. Expenses can range from 68,000 NGN at the minimum level to 580,000 NGN at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Nigeria is 510,000 NGN. Expenditure can range from 100,000 NGN to 820,000 NGN per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Nigeria is 820,000 NGN per month. Families spend anywhere from 240,000 NGN to 1,200,000 NGN.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Nigeria is 200,000 NGN. Students spend from 34,000 NGN to 440,000 NGN per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Nigeria

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

68 NGN

68 NGN
68 NGN

Fast food
combo meal

680 NGN

490 NGN
1,100 NGN

Restaurant
meal for one

2,300 NGN

1,800 NGN
2,800 NGN

Fine dining
meal for one

5,700 NGN

3,800 NGN
6,800 NGN

Soda
Soft Drink

57 NGN

57 NGN
57 NGN

Cappuccino
or latte

450 NGN

280 NGN
680 NGN

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

340 NGN

280 NGN
380 NGN

Loaf of
bread

49 NGN

42 NGN
57 NGN

12
eggs

340 NGN

280 NGN
420 NGN

Fresh whole
chicken

790 NGN

620 NGN
970 NGN

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

890 NGN

760 NGN
1,100 NGN

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

490 NGN

420 NGN
570 NGN

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

230 NGN

190 NGN
280 NGN

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

240 NGN

210 NGN
260 NGN

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

230 NGN

210 NGN
260 NGN

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

340 NGN

280 NGN
680 NGN

Average car
full tank

2,300 NGN

1,700 NGN
4,500 NGN

Average car
1-day rental

2,300 NGN

1,700 NGN
3,400 NGN

Average car
price

1,700,000 NGN

850,000 NGN
2,300,000 NGN

Bus ticket
one way

85 NGN

57 NGN
170 NGN

Car
Service

3,400 NGN

2,300 NGN
6,800 NGN

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

16,000 NGN

4,100 NGN
35,000 NGN

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

20,000 NGN

5,100 NGN
41,000 NGN

Electricity
and water bill
Family

33,000 NGN

7,100 NGN
37,000 NGN

Internet
and cable

3,400 NGN

1,700 NGN
4,500 NGN

Mobile phone
charges

2,300 NGN

1,400 NGN
6,800 NGN

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

1,100 NGN

850 NGN
1,700 NGN

One month gym
membership

3,400 NGN

2,700 NGN
6,800 NGN

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

2,800 NGN

2,000 NGN
4,200 NGN

Woman
dress

2,600 NGN

1,900 NGN
8,500 NGN

Woman
shoes

2,400 NGN

1,800 NGN
5,700 NGN

Men
shoes

1,900 NGN

1,500 NGN
3,800 NGN

Men
suit

2,100 NGN

1,700 NGN
11,000 NGN

Regular
t-shirt

1,100 NGN

850 NGN
3,400 NGN

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

42,000 NGN

28,000 NGN
110,000 NGN

1-bedroom
apartment

68,000 NGN

42,000 NGN
170,000 NGN

2-bedroom
apartment

85,000 NGN

57,000 NGN
230,000 NGN

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

8,500,000 NGN

5,700,000 NGN
17,000,000 NGN

1-bedroom
apartment

11,000,000 NGN

6,800,000 NGN
42,000,000 NGN

2-bedroom
apartment

34,000,000 NGN

11,000,000 NGN
68,000,000 NGN

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

42,000 NGN

34,000 NGN
57,000 NGN

Double
Bed

34,000 NGN

23,000 NGN
42,000 NGN

Single
Bed

26,000 NGN

20,000 NGN
34,000 NGN

Living
Room

49,000 NGN

38,000 NGN
170,000 NGN

Dining
Table

23,000 NGN

17,000 NGN
42,000 NGN

Sofa
or Couch

31,000 NGN

23,000 NGN
68,000 NGN

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

34,000 NGN

23,000 NGN
68,000 NGN

Fridge
or Freezer

31,000 NGN

20,000 NGN
42,000 NGN

Washing
Machine

38,000 NGN

26,000 NGN
68,000 NGN

Stove
or Cooker

31,000 NGN

24,000 NGN
42,000 NGN

Mobile
Phone

34,000 NGN

28,000 NGN
49,000 NGN

Laptop
or Computer

38,000 NGN

31,000 NGN
68,000 NGN

How do people spend their money in Nigeria?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Nigeria

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW24,000 NGN
AVERAGE98,000 NGN
HIGH210,000 NGN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW4,100 NGN
AVERAGE16,000 NGN
HIGH35,000 NGN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW5,400 NGN
AVERAGE22,000 NGN
HIGH46,000 NGN
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW11,000 NGN
AVERAGE44,000 NGN
HIGH92,000 NGN
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW6,100 NGN
AVERAGE24,000 NGN
HIGH52,000 NGN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,400 NGN
AVERAGE14,000 NGN
HIGH29,000 NGN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,400 NGN
AVERAGE5,400 NGN
HIGH12,000 NGN
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW12,000 NGN
AVERAGE49,000 NGN
HIGH100,000 NGN
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Nigeria

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW34,000 NGN
AVERAGE170,000 NGN
HIGH270,000 NGN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW5,100 NGN
AVERAGE20,000 NGN
HIGH41,000 NGN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW12,000 NGN
AVERAGE61,000 NGN
HIGH98,000 NGN
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW14,000 NGN
AVERAGE71,000 NGN
HIGH110,000 NGN
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW11,000 NGN
AVERAGE56,000 NGN
HIGH90,000 NGN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW6,100 NGN
AVERAGE31,000 NGN
HIGH49,000 NGN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,000 NGN
AVERAGE10,000 NGN
HIGH16,000 NGN
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW17,000 NGN
AVERAGE87,000 NGN
HIGH140,000 NGN
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Nigeria

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW76,000 NGN
AVERAGE260,000 NGN
HIGH390,000 NGN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW7,100 NGN
AVERAGE33,000 NGN
HIGH37,000 NGN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW19,000 NGN
AVERAGE65,000 NGN
HIGH98,000 NGN
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW43,000 NGN
AVERAGE150,000 NGN
HIGH220,000 NGN
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW19,000 NGN
AVERAGE65,000 NGN
HIGH98,000 NGN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW12,000 NGN
AVERAGE41,000 NGN
HIGH61,000 NGN
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW33,000 NGN
AVERAGE110,000 NGN
HIGH170,000 NGN
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW29,000 NGN
AVERAGE98,000 NGN
HIGH150,000 NGN
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Nigeria

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW8,200 NGN
AVERAGE49,000 NGN
HIGH110,000 NGN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW1,400 NGN
AVERAGE8,200 NGN
HIGH18,000 NGN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW2,400 NGN
AVERAGE14,000 NGN
HIGH31,000 NGN
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW6,800 NGN
AVERAGE41,000 NGN
HIGH88,000 NGN
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW2,000 NGN
AVERAGE12,000 NGN
HIGH27,000 NGN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,700 NGN
AVERAGE10,000 NGN
HIGH22,000 NGN
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW6,500 NGN
AVERAGE39,000 NGN
HIGH84,000 NGN
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW5,100 NGN
AVERAGE31,000 NGN
HIGH66,000 NGN
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Nigeria typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 140,000 NGN with expenditure ranging from 36,000 NGN and 240,000 NGN. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Nigeria ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 19,000 NGN with 4,400 NGN and 32,000 NGN being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 9,800 NGN to 68,000 NGN on commuting with 41,000 NGN being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Nigeria is 76,000 NGN. The cost of groceries can range between 19,000 NGN to 130,000 NGN. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Nigeria allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 9,600 NGN to 67,000 NGN with 40,000 NGN being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 5,800 NGN to 40,000 NGN with 24,000 NGN being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 42,000 NGN per month with 11,000 NGN being the minimum spent amount and 71,000 NGN being the maximum.

©copound