Cost Of Living in Northern Mariana Islands

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Northern Mariana Islands

Whether you're living in Northern Mariana Islands or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,600 USD
average per month
400 USD
Range
3,400 USD

Couple
3,000 USD
average per month
600 USD
Range
4,800 USD

Family
4,800 USD
average per month
1,400 USD
Range
7,200 USD

Student
1,200 USD
average per month
200 USD
Range
2,600 USD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Northern Mariana Islands is 1,600 USD. Expenses can range from 400 USD at the minimum level to 3,400 USD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Northern Mariana Islands is 3,000 USD. Expenditure can range from 600 USD to 4,800 USD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Northern Mariana Islands is 4,800 USD per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,400 USD to 7,200 USD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Northern Mariana Islands is 1,200 USD. Students spend from 200 USD to 2,600 USD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Northern Mariana Islands

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.40 USD

0.40 USD
0.40 USD

Fast food
combo meal

4.0 USD

2.9 USD
6.7 USD

Restaurant
meal for one

13 USD

10 USD
17 USD

Fine dining
meal for one

33 USD

22 USD
40 USD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.33 USD

0.33 USD
0.33 USD

Cappuccino
or latte

2.7 USD

1.7 USD
4.0 USD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2.0 USD

1.7 USD
2.2 USD

Loaf of
bread

0.28 USD

0.25 USD
0.33 USD

12
eggs

2.0 USD

1.7 USD
2.5 USD

Fresh whole
chicken

4.6 USD

3.6 USD
5.7 USD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

5.3 USD

4.4 USD
6.7 USD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2.9 USD

2.5 USD
3.3 USD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.3 USD

1.1 USD
1.7 USD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.4 USD

1.3 USD
1.5 USD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.4 USD

1.2 USD
1.5 USD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2.0 USD

1.7 USD
4.0 USD

Average car
full tank

13 USD

10.0 USD
27 USD

Average car
1-day rental

13 USD

10.0 USD
20 USD

Average car
price

10,000 USD

5,000 USD
13,000 USD

Bus ticket
one way

0.50 USD

0.33 USD
1.0 USD

Car
Service

20 USD

13 USD
40 USD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

96 USD

24 USD
200 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

120 USD

30 USD
240 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

190 USD

42 USD
220 USD

Internet
and cable

20 USD

10.0 USD
27 USD

Mobile phone
charges

13 USD

8.0 USD
40 USD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

6.7 USD

5.0 USD
10.0 USD

One month gym
membership

20 USD

16 USD
40 USD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

17 USD

12 USD
25 USD

Woman
dress

15 USD

11 USD
50 USD

Woman
shoes

14 USD

10 USD
33 USD

Men
shoes

11 USD

9.1 USD
22 USD

Men
suit

12 USD

10.0 USD
66 USD

Regular
t-shirt

6.7 USD

5.0 USD
20 USD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

250 USD

170 USD
660 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

400 USD

250 USD
1,000 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

500 USD

330 USD
1,300 USD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

50,000 USD

33,000 USD
100,000 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

66,000 USD

40,000 USD
250,000 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

200,000 USD

66,000 USD
400,000 USD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

250 USD

200 USD
330 USD

Double
Bed

200 USD

130 USD
250 USD

Single
Bed

150 USD

120 USD
200 USD

Living
Room

280 USD

220 USD
1,000 USD

Dining
Table

130 USD

100 USD
250 USD

Sofa
or Couch

180 USD

130 USD
400 USD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

200 USD

130 USD
400 USD

Fridge
or Freezer

180 USD

120 USD
250 USD

Washing
Machine

220 USD

150 USD
400 USD

Stove
or Cooker

180 USD

140 USD
250 USD

Mobile
Phone

200 USD

170 USD
280 USD

Laptop
or Computer

220 USD

180 USD
400 USD

How do people spend their money in Northern Mariana Islands?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Northern Mariana Islands

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW140 USD
AVERAGE570 USD
HIGH1,200 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW24 USD
AVERAGE96 USD
HIGH200 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW32 USD
AVERAGE130 USD
HIGH270 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW64 USD
AVERAGE260 USD
HIGH540 USD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW36 USD
AVERAGE140 USD
HIGH310 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW20 USD
AVERAGE80 USD
HIGH170 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW8.0 USD
AVERAGE32 USD
HIGH68 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW72 USD
AVERAGE290 USD
HIGH610 USD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Northern Mariana Islands

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW200 USD
AVERAGE990 USD
HIGH1,600 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW30 USD
AVERAGE120 USD
HIGH240 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW72 USD
AVERAGE360 USD
HIGH570 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW84 USD
AVERAGE420 USD
HIGH670 USD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW66 USD
AVERAGE330 USD
HIGH530 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW36 USD
AVERAGE180 USD
HIGH290 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW12 USD
AVERAGE60 USD
HIGH96 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW100 USD
AVERAGE510 USD
HIGH810 USD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Northern Mariana Islands

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW450 USD
AVERAGE1,500 USD
HIGH2,300 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW42 USD
AVERAGE190 USD
HIGH220 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW110 USD
AVERAGE380 USD
HIGH570 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW250 USD
AVERAGE860 USD
HIGH1,300 USD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW110 USD
AVERAGE380 USD
HIGH570 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW70 USD
AVERAGE240 USD
HIGH360 USD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW200 USD
AVERAGE670 USD
HIGH1,000 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW170 USD
AVERAGE570 USD
HIGH860 USD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Northern Mariana Islands

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW48 USD
AVERAGE290 USD
HIGH620 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW8.0 USD
AVERAGE48 USD
HIGH100 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW14 USD
AVERAGE84 USD
HIGH180 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW40 USD
AVERAGE240 USD
HIGH520 USD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW12 USD
AVERAGE72 USD
HIGH160 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW10.0 USD
AVERAGE60 USD
HIGH130 USD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW38 USD
AVERAGE230 USD
HIGH490 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW30 USD
AVERAGE180 USD
HIGH390 USD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Northern Mariana Islands typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 840 USD with expenditure ranging from 210 USD and 1,400 USD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Northern Mariana Islands ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 110 USD with 26 USD and 190 USD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 57 USD to 400 USD on commuting with 240 USD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Northern Mariana Islands is 440 USD. The cost of groceries can range between 110 USD to 760 USD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Northern Mariana Islands allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 56 USD to 390 USD with 230 USD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 34 USD to 240 USD with 140 USD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 250 USD per month with 63 USD being the minimum spent amount and 420 USD being the maximum.

©copound