Cost Of Living in Norway

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Norway

Whether you're living in Norway or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
41,000 NOK
average per month
10,000 NOK
Range
87,000 NOK

Couple
77,000 NOK
average per month
15,000 NOK
Range
120,000 NOK

Family
120,000 NOK
average per month
36,000 NOK
Range
180,000 NOK

Student
31,000 NOK
average per month
5,100 NOK
Range
67,000 NOK
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Norway is 41,000 NOK. Expenses can range from 10,000 NOK at the minimum level to 87,000 NOK at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Norway is 77,000 NOK. Expenditure can range from 15,000 NOK to 120,000 NOK per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Norway is 120,000 NOK per month. Families spend anywhere from 36,000 NOK to 180,000 NOK.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Norway is 31,000 NOK. Students spend from 5,100 NOK to 67,000 NOK per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Norway

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

10 NOK

10 NOK
10 NOK

Fast food
combo meal

100 NOK

73 NOK
170 NOK

Restaurant
meal for one

340 NOK

270 NOK
430 NOK

Fine dining
meal for one

850 NOK

570 NOK
1,000 NOK

Soda
Soft Drink

8.5 NOK

8.5 NOK
8.5 NOK

Cappuccino
or latte

68 NOK

43 NOK
100 NOK

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

51 NOK

43 NOK
57 NOK

Loaf of
bread

7.3 NOK

6.4 NOK
8.5 NOK

12
eggs

51 NOK

43 NOK
64 NOK

Fresh whole
chicken

120 NOK

93 NOK
150 NOK

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

130 NOK

110 NOK
170 NOK

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

73 NOK

64 NOK
85 NOK

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

34 NOK

28 NOK
43 NOK

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

37 NOK

32 NOK
39 NOK

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

35 NOK

31 NOK
39 NOK

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

51 NOK

43 NOK
100 NOK

Average car
full tank

340 NOK

260 NOK
680 NOK

Average car
1-day rental

340 NOK

260 NOK
510 NOK

Average car
price

260,000 NOK

130,000 NOK
340,000 NOK

Bus ticket
one way

13 NOK

8.5 NOK
26 NOK

Car
Service

510 NOK

340 NOK
1,000 NOK

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

2,500 NOK

610 NOK
5,200 NOK

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

3,100 NOK

770 NOK
6,100 NOK

Electricity
and water bill
Family

4,900 NOK

1,100 NOK
5,500 NOK

Internet
and cable

510 NOK

260 NOK
680 NOK

Mobile phone
charges

340 NOK

200 NOK
1,000 NOK

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

170 NOK

130 NOK
260 NOK

One month gym
membership

510 NOK

410 NOK
1,000 NOK

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

430 NOK

300 NOK
640 NOK

Woman
dress

390 NOK

280 NOK
1,300 NOK

Woman
shoes

370 NOK

270 NOK
850 NOK

Men
shoes

280 NOK

230 NOK
570 NOK

Men
suit

320 NOK

260 NOK
1,700 NOK

Regular
t-shirt

170 NOK

130 NOK
510 NOK

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

6,400 NOK

4,300 NOK
17,000 NOK

1-bedroom
apartment

10,000 NOK

6,400 NOK
26,000 NOK

2-bedroom
apartment

13,000 NOK

8,500 NOK
34,000 NOK

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

1,300,000 NOK

850,000 NOK
2,600,000 NOK

1-bedroom
apartment

1,700,000 NOK

1,000,000 NOK
6,400,000 NOK

2-bedroom
apartment

5,100,000 NOK

1,700,000 NOK
10,000,000 NOK

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

6,400 NOK

5,100 NOK
8,500 NOK

Double
Bed

5,100 NOK

3,400 NOK
6,400 NOK

Single
Bed

3,900 NOK

3,000 NOK
5,100 NOK

Living
Room

7,300 NOK

5,700 NOK
26,000 NOK

Dining
Table

3,400 NOK

2,600 NOK
6,400 NOK

Sofa
or Couch

4,700 NOK

3,400 NOK
10,000 NOK

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

5,100 NOK

3,400 NOK
10,000 NOK

Fridge
or Freezer

4,700 NOK

3,000 NOK
6,400 NOK

Washing
Machine

5,700 NOK

3,900 NOK
10,000 NOK

Stove
or Cooker

4,700 NOK

3,700 NOK
6,400 NOK

Mobile
Phone

5,100 NOK

4,300 NOK
7,300 NOK

Laptop
or Computer

5,700 NOK

4,700 NOK
10,000 NOK

How do people spend their money in Norway?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Norway

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW3,700 NOK
AVERAGE15,000 NOK
HIGH31,000 NOK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW610 NOK
AVERAGE2,500 NOK
HIGH5,200 NOK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW820 NOK
AVERAGE3,300 NOK
HIGH7,000 NOK
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,600 NOK
AVERAGE6,600 NOK
HIGH14,000 NOK
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW920 NOK
AVERAGE3,700 NOK
HIGH7,800 NOK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW510 NOK
AVERAGE2,000 NOK
HIGH4,400 NOK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW200 NOK
AVERAGE820 NOK
HIGH1,700 NOK
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,800 NOK
AVERAGE7,400 NOK
HIGH16,000 NOK
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Norway

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW5,100 NOK
AVERAGE25,000 NOK
HIGH41,000 NOK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW770 NOK
AVERAGE3,100 NOK
HIGH6,100 NOK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,800 NOK
AVERAGE9,200 NOK
HIGH15,000 NOK
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW2,200 NOK
AVERAGE11,000 NOK
HIGH17,000 NOK
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,700 NOK
AVERAGE8,400 NOK
HIGH14,000 NOK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW920 NOK
AVERAGE4,600 NOK
HIGH7,400 NOK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW310 NOK
AVERAGE1,500 NOK
HIGH2,500 NOK
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW2,600 NOK
AVERAGE13,000 NOK
HIGH21,000 NOK
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Norway

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW11,000 NOK
AVERAGE39,000 NOK
HIGH59,000 NOK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW1,100 NOK
AVERAGE4,900 NOK
HIGH5,500 NOK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW2,900 NOK
AVERAGE9,800 NOK
HIGH15,000 NOK
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW6,500 NOK
AVERAGE22,000 NOK
HIGH33,000 NOK
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW2,900 NOK
AVERAGE9,800 NOK
HIGH15,000 NOK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,800 NOK
AVERAGE6,100 NOK
HIGH9,200 NOK
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW5,000 NOK
AVERAGE17,000 NOK
HIGH26,000 NOK
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW4,300 NOK
AVERAGE15,000 NOK
HIGH22,000 NOK
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Norway

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW1,200 NOK
AVERAGE7,400 NOK
HIGH16,000 NOK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW200 NOK
AVERAGE1,200 NOK
HIGH2,700 NOK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW360 NOK
AVERAGE2,200 NOK
HIGH4,700 NOK
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW1,000 NOK
AVERAGE6,100 NOK
HIGH13,000 NOK
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW310 NOK
AVERAGE1,800 NOK
HIGH4,000 NOK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW260 NOK
AVERAGE1,500 NOK
HIGH3,300 NOK
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW970 NOK
AVERAGE5,800 NOK
HIGH13,000 NOK
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW770 NOK
AVERAGE4,600 NOK
HIGH10,000 NOK
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Norway typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 22,000 NOK with expenditure ranging from 5,400 NOK and 37,000 NOK. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Norway ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 2,900 NOK with 670 NOK and 4,900 NOK being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 1,500 NOK to 10,000 NOK on commuting with 6,100 NOK being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Norway is 11,000 NOK. The cost of groceries can range between 2,800 NOK to 19,000 NOK. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Norway allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 1,400 NOK to 10,000 NOK with 6,000 NOK being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 870 NOK to 6,100 NOK with 3,600 NOK being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 6,300 NOK per month with 1,600 NOK being the minimum spent amount and 11,000 NOK being the maximum.

©copound