Cost Of Living in Oman

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Oman

Whether you're living in Oman or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,400 OMR
average per month
360 OMR
Range
3,000 OMR

Couple
2,700 OMR
average per month
530 OMR
Range
4,300 OMR

Family
4,300 OMR
average per month
1,200 OMR
Range
6,400 OMR

Student
1,100 OMR
average per month
180 OMR
Range
2,300 OMR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Oman is 1,400 OMR. Expenses can range from 360 OMR at the minimum level to 3,000 OMR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Oman is 2,700 OMR. Expenditure can range from 530 OMR to 4,300 OMR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Oman is 4,300 OMR per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,200 OMR to 6,400 OMR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Oman is 1,100 OMR. Students spend from 180 OMR to 2,300 OMR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Oman

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.36 OMR

0.36 OMR
0.36 OMR

Fast food
combo meal

3.6 OMR

2.5 OMR
5.9 OMR

Restaurant
meal for one

12 OMR

9.4 OMR
15 OMR

Fine dining
meal for one

30 OMR

20 OMR
36 OMR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.30 OMR

0.30 OMR
0.30 OMR

Cappuccino
or latte

2.4 OMR

1.5 OMR
3.6 OMR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1.8 OMR

1.5 OMR
2.0 OMR

Loaf of
bread

0.25 OMR

0.22 OMR
0.30 OMR

12
eggs

1.8 OMR

1.5 OMR
2.2 OMR

Fresh whole
chicken

4.1 OMR

3.2 OMR
5.1 OMR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

4.7 OMR

4.0 OMR
5.9 OMR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2.5 OMR

2.2 OMR
3.0 OMR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.2 OMR

0.99 OMR
1.5 OMR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.3 OMR

1.1 OMR
1.4 OMR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.2 OMR

1.1 OMR
1.4 OMR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1.8 OMR

1.5 OMR
3.6 OMR

Average car
full tank

12 OMR

8.9 OMR
24 OMR

Average car
1-day rental

12 OMR

8.9 OMR
18 OMR

Average car
price

8,900 OMR

4,400 OMR
12,000 OMR

Bus ticket
one way

0.44 OMR

0.30 OMR
0.89 OMR

Car
Service

18 OMR

12 OMR
36 OMR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

85 OMR

21 OMR
180 OMR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

110 OMR

27 OMR
210 OMR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

170 OMR

37 OMR
190 OMR

Internet
and cable

18 OMR

8.9 OMR
24 OMR

Mobile phone
charges

12 OMR

7.1 OMR
36 OMR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

5.9 OMR

4.4 OMR
8.9 OMR

One month gym
membership

18 OMR

14 OMR
36 OMR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

15 OMR

10 OMR
22 OMR

Woman
dress

14 OMR

9.9 OMR
44 OMR

Woman
shoes

13 OMR

9.4 OMR
30 OMR

Men
shoes

9.9 OMR

8.1 OMR
20 OMR

Men
suit

11 OMR

8.9 OMR
59 OMR

Regular
t-shirt

5.9 OMR

4.4 OMR
18 OMR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

220 OMR

150 OMR
590 OMR

1-bedroom
apartment

360 OMR

220 OMR
890 OMR

2-bedroom
apartment

440 OMR

300 OMR
1,200 OMR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

44,000 OMR

30,000 OMR
89,000 OMR

1-bedroom
apartment

59,000 OMR

36,000 OMR
220,000 OMR

2-bedroom
apartment

180,000 OMR

59,000 OMR
360,000 OMR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

220 OMR

180 OMR
300 OMR

Double
Bed

180 OMR

120 OMR
220 OMR

Single
Bed

140 OMR

100 OMR
180 OMR

Living
Room

250 OMR

200 OMR
890 OMR

Dining
Table

120 OMR

89 OMR
220 OMR

Sofa
or Couch

160 OMR

120 OMR
360 OMR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

180 OMR

120 OMR
360 OMR

Fridge
or Freezer

160 OMR

100 OMR
220 OMR

Washing
Machine

200 OMR

140 OMR
360 OMR

Stove
or Cooker

160 OMR

130 OMR
220 OMR

Mobile
Phone

180 OMR

150 OMR
250 OMR

Laptop
or Computer

200 OMR

160 OMR
360 OMR

How do people spend their money in Oman?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Oman

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW130 OMR
AVERAGE510 OMR
HIGH1,100 OMR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW21 OMR
AVERAGE85 OMR
HIGH180 OMR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW28 OMR
AVERAGE110 OMR
HIGH240 OMR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW57 OMR
AVERAGE230 OMR
HIGH480 OMR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW32 OMR
AVERAGE130 OMR
HIGH270 OMR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW18 OMR
AVERAGE71 OMR
HIGH150 OMR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW7.1 OMR
AVERAGE28 OMR
HIGH60 OMR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW64 OMR
AVERAGE260 OMR
HIGH540 OMR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Oman

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW180 OMR
AVERAGE880 OMR
HIGH1,400 OMR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW27 OMR
AVERAGE110 OMR
HIGH210 OMR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW64 OMR
AVERAGE320 OMR
HIGH510 OMR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW75 OMR
AVERAGE370 OMR
HIGH600 OMR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW59 OMR
AVERAGE290 OMR
HIGH470 OMR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW32 OMR
AVERAGE160 OMR
HIGH260 OMR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW11 OMR
AVERAGE53 OMR
HIGH85 OMR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW91 OMR
AVERAGE450 OMR
HIGH720 OMR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Oman

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW400 OMR
AVERAGE1,400 OMR
HIGH2,000 OMR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW37 OMR
AVERAGE170 OMR
HIGH190 OMR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW99 OMR
AVERAGE340 OMR
HIGH510 OMR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW220 OMR
AVERAGE770 OMR
HIGH1,200 OMR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW99 OMR
AVERAGE340 OMR
HIGH510 OMR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW62 OMR
AVERAGE210 OMR
HIGH320 OMR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW170 OMR
AVERAGE600 OMR
HIGH900 OMR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW150 OMR
AVERAGE510 OMR
HIGH770 OMR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Oman

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW43 OMR
AVERAGE260 OMR
HIGH550 OMR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW7.1 OMR
AVERAGE43 OMR
HIGH92 OMR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW12 OMR
AVERAGE75 OMR
HIGH160 OMR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW36 OMR
AVERAGE210 OMR
HIGH460 OMR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW11 OMR
AVERAGE64 OMR
HIGH140 OMR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW8.9 OMR
AVERAGE53 OMR
HIGH120 OMR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW34 OMR
AVERAGE200 OMR
HIGH440 OMR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW27 OMR
AVERAGE160 OMR
HIGH350 OMR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Oman typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 750 OMR with expenditure ranging from 190 OMR and 1,300 OMR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Oman ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 100 OMR with 23 OMR and 170 OMR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 51 OMR to 360 OMR on commuting with 210 OMR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Oman is 400 OMR. The cost of groceries can range between 98 OMR to 670 OMR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Oman allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 50 OMR to 350 OMR with 210 OMR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 30 OMR to 210 OMR with 120 OMR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 220 OMR per month with 56 OMR being the minimum spent amount and 370 OMR being the maximum.

©copound