Cost Of Living in Pakistan

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Pakistan

Whether you're living in Pakistan or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
66,000 PKR
average per month
16,000 PKR
Range
140,000 PKR

Couple
120,000 PKR
average per month
25,000 PKR
Range
200,000 PKR

Family
200,000 PKR
average per month
57,000 PKR
Range
300,000 PKR

Student
49,000 PKR
average per month
8,200 PKR
Range
110,000 PKR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Pakistan is 66,000 PKR. Expenses can range from 16,000 PKR at the minimum level to 140,000 PKR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Pakistan is 120,000 PKR. Expenditure can range from 25,000 PKR to 200,000 PKR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Pakistan is 200,000 PKR per month. Families spend anywhere from 57,000 PKR to 300,000 PKR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Pakistan is 49,000 PKR. Students spend from 8,200 PKR to 110,000 PKR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Pakistan

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

16 PKR

16 PKR
16 PKR

Fast food
combo meal

160 PKR

120 PKR
270 PKR

Restaurant
meal for one

550 PKR

430 PKR
680 PKR

Fine dining
meal for one

1,400 PKR

910 PKR
1,600 PKR

Soda
Soft Drink

14 PKR

14 PKR
14 PKR

Cappuccino
or latte

110 PKR

68 PKR
160 PKR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

82 PKR

68 PKR
91 PKR

Loaf of
bread

12 PKR

10 PKR
14 PKR

12
eggs

82 PKR

68 PKR
100 PKR

Fresh whole
chicken

190 PKR

150 PKR
230 PKR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

220 PKR

180 PKR
270 PKR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

120 PKR

100 PKR
140 PKR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

55 PKR

46 PKR
68 PKR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

59 PKR

51 PKR
63 PKR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

57 PKR

50 PKR
63 PKR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

82 PKR

68 PKR
160 PKR

Average car
full tank

550 PKR

410 PKR
1,100 PKR

Average car
1-day rental

550 PKR

410 PKR
820 PKR

Average car
price

410,000 PKR

210,000 PKR
550,000 PKR

Bus ticket
one way

21 PKR

14 PKR
41 PKR

Car
Service

820 PKR

550 PKR
1,600 PKR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

3,900 PKR

980 PKR
8,400 PKR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

4,900 PKR

1,200 PKR
9,800 PKR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

7,900 PKR

1,700 PKR
8,900 PKR

Internet
and cable

820 PKR

410 PKR
1,100 PKR

Mobile phone
charges

550 PKR

330 PKR
1,600 PKR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

270 PKR

210 PKR
410 PKR

One month gym
membership

820 PKR

660 PKR
1,600 PKR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

680 PKR

480 PKR
1,000 PKR

Woman
dress

630 PKR

460 PKR
2,100 PKR

Woman
shoes

590 PKR

430 PKR
1,400 PKR

Men
shoes

460 PKR

370 PKR
910 PKR

Men
suit

510 PKR

410 PKR
2,700 PKR

Regular
t-shirt

270 PKR

210 PKR
820 PKR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

10,000 PKR

6,800 PKR
27,000 PKR

1-bedroom
apartment

16,000 PKR

10,000 PKR
41,000 PKR

2-bedroom
apartment

21,000 PKR

14,000 PKR
55,000 PKR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

2,100,000 PKR

1,400,000 PKR
4,100,000 PKR

1-bedroom
apartment

2,700,000 PKR

1,600,000 PKR
10,000,000 PKR

2-bedroom
apartment

8,200,000 PKR

2,700,000 PKR
16,000,000 PKR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

10,000 PKR

8,200 PKR
14,000 PKR

Double
Bed

8,200 PKR

5,500 PKR
10,000 PKR

Single
Bed

6,300 PKR

4,800 PKR
8,200 PKR

Living
Room

12,000 PKR

9,100 PKR
41,000 PKR

Dining
Table

5,500 PKR

4,100 PKR
10,000 PKR

Sofa
or Couch

7,500 PKR

5,500 PKR
16,000 PKR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

8,200 PKR

5,500 PKR
16,000 PKR

Fridge
or Freezer

7,500 PKR

4,800 PKR
10,000 PKR

Washing
Machine

9,100 PKR

6,300 PKR
16,000 PKR

Stove
or Cooker

7,500 PKR

5,900 PKR
10,000 PKR

Mobile
Phone

8,200 PKR

6,800 PKR
12,000 PKR

Laptop
or Computer

9,100 PKR

7,500 PKR
16,000 PKR

How do people spend their money in Pakistan?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Pakistan

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW5,900 PKR
AVERAGE24,000 PKR
HIGH50,000 PKR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW980 PKR
AVERAGE3,900 PKR
HIGH8,400 PKR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW1,300 PKR
AVERAGE5,300 PKR
HIGH11,000 PKR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW2,600 PKR
AVERAGE11,000 PKR
HIGH22,000 PKR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,500 PKR
AVERAGE5,900 PKR
HIGH13,000 PKR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW820 PKR
AVERAGE3,300 PKR
HIGH7,000 PKR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW330 PKR
AVERAGE1,300 PKR
HIGH2,800 PKR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW3,000 PKR
AVERAGE12,000 PKR
HIGH25,000 PKR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Pakistan

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW8,100 PKR
AVERAGE41,000 PKR
HIGH65,000 PKR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW1,200 PKR
AVERAGE4,900 PKR
HIGH9,800 PKR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW3,000 PKR
AVERAGE15,000 PKR
HIGH24,000 PKR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW3,400 PKR
AVERAGE17,000 PKR
HIGH28,000 PKR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW2,700 PKR
AVERAGE14,000 PKR
HIGH22,000 PKR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW1,500 PKR
AVERAGE7,400 PKR
HIGH12,000 PKR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW490 PKR
AVERAGE2,500 PKR
HIGH3,900 PKR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW4,200 PKR
AVERAGE21,000 PKR
HIGH33,000 PKR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Pakistan

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW18,000 PKR
AVERAGE63,000 PKR
HIGH95,000 PKR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW1,700 PKR
AVERAGE7,900 PKR
HIGH8,900 PKR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW4,600 PKR
AVERAGE16,000 PKR
HIGH24,000 PKR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW10,000 PKR
AVERAGE35,000 PKR
HIGH53,000 PKR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW4,600 PKR
AVERAGE16,000 PKR
HIGH24,000 PKR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,900 PKR
AVERAGE9,800 PKR
HIGH15,000 PKR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW8,000 PKR
AVERAGE28,000 PKR
HIGH41,000 PKR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW6,900 PKR
AVERAGE24,000 PKR
HIGH35,000 PKR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Pakistan

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW2,000 PKR
AVERAGE12,000 PKR
HIGH26,000 PKR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW330 PKR
AVERAGE2,000 PKR
HIGH4,300 PKR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW570 PKR
AVERAGE3,400 PKR
HIGH7,500 PKR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW1,600 PKR
AVERAGE9,800 PKR
HIGH21,000 PKR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW490 PKR
AVERAGE3,000 PKR
HIGH6,400 PKR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW410 PKR
AVERAGE2,500 PKR
HIGH5,300 PKR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW1,600 PKR
AVERAGE9,400 PKR
HIGH20,000 PKR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW1,200 PKR
AVERAGE7,400 PKR
HIGH16,000 PKR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Pakistan typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 35,000 PKR with expenditure ranging from 8,600 PKR and 59,000 PKR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Pakistan ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 4,700 PKR with 1,100 PKR and 7,800 PKR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 2,400 PKR to 16,000 PKR on commuting with 9,800 PKR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Pakistan is 18,000 PKR. The cost of groceries can range between 4,500 PKR to 31,000 PKR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Pakistan allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 2,300 PKR to 16,000 PKR with 9,500 PKR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 1,400 PKR to 9,700 PKR with 5,700 PKR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 10,000 PKR per month with 2,600 PKR being the minimum spent amount and 17,000 PKR being the maximum.

©copound