Cost Of Living in Papua New Guinea

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Papua New Guinea

Whether you're living in Papua New Guinea or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,300 PGK
average per month
820 PGK
Range
7,000 PGK

Couple
6,200 PGK
average per month
1,200 PGK
Range
9,900 PGK

Family
9,900 PGK
average per month
2,900 PGK
Range
15,000 PGK

Student
2,500 PGK
average per month
410 PGK
Range
5,400 PGK
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Papua New Guinea is 3,300 PGK. Expenses can range from 820 PGK at the minimum level to 7,000 PGK at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Papua New Guinea is 6,200 PGK. Expenditure can range from 1,200 PGK to 9,900 PGK per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Papua New Guinea is 9,900 PGK per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,900 PGK to 15,000 PGK.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Papua New Guinea is 2,500 PGK. Students spend from 410 PGK to 5,400 PGK per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Papua New Guinea

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.82 PGK

0.82 PGK
0.82 PGK

Fast food
combo meal

8.2 PGK

5.9 PGK
14 PGK

Restaurant
meal for one

27 PGK

22 PGK
34 PGK

Fine dining
meal for one

69 PGK

46 PGK
82 PGK

Soda
Soft Drink

0.69 PGK

0.69 PGK
0.69 PGK

Cappuccino
or latte

5.5 PGK

3.4 PGK
8.2 PGK

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

4.1 PGK

3.4 PGK
4.6 PGK

Loaf of
bread

0.59 PGK

0.52 PGK
0.69 PGK

12
eggs

4.1 PGK

3.4 PGK
5.2 PGK

Fresh whole
chicken

9.6 PGK

7.5 PGK
12 PGK

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

11 PGK

9.2 PGK
14 PGK

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

5.9 PGK

5.2 PGK
6.9 PGK

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.8 PGK

2.3 PGK
3.4 PGK

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.9 PGK

2.6 PGK
3.2 PGK

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.8 PGK

2.5 PGK
3.2 PGK

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

4.1 PGK

3.4 PGK
8.2 PGK

Average car
full tank

27 PGK

21 PGK
55 PGK

Average car
1-day rental

27 PGK

21 PGK
41 PGK

Average car
price

21,000 PGK

10,000 PGK
27,000 PGK

Bus ticket
one way

1.0 PGK

0.69 PGK
2.1 PGK

Car
Service

41 PGK

27 PGK
82 PGK

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

200 PGK

49 PGK
420 PGK

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

250 PGK

62 PGK
490 PGK

Electricity
and water bill
Family

400 PGK

87 PGK
440 PGK

Internet
and cable

41 PGK

21 PGK
55 PGK

Mobile phone
charges

27 PGK

16 PGK
82 PGK

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

14 PGK

10 PGK
21 PGK

One month gym
membership

41 PGK

33 PGK
82 PGK

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

34 PGK

24 PGK
52 PGK

Woman
dress

32 PGK

23 PGK
100 PGK

Woman
shoes

29 PGK

22 PGK
69 PGK

Men
shoes

23 PGK

19 PGK
46 PGK

Men
suit

26 PGK

21 PGK
140 PGK

Regular
t-shirt

14 PGK

10 PGK
41 PGK

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

520 PGK

340 PGK
1,400 PGK

1-bedroom
apartment

820 PGK

520 PGK
2,100 PGK

2-bedroom
apartment

1,000 PGK

690 PGK
2,700 PGK

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

100,000 PGK

69,000 PGK
210,000 PGK

1-bedroom
apartment

140,000 PGK

82,000 PGK
520,000 PGK

2-bedroom
apartment

410,000 PGK

140,000 PGK
820,000 PGK

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

520 PGK

410 PGK
690 PGK

Double
Bed

410 PGK

270 PGK
520 PGK

Single
Bed

320 PGK

240 PGK
410 PGK

Living
Room

590 PGK

460 PGK
2,100 PGK

Dining
Table

270 PGK

210 PGK
520 PGK

Sofa
or Couch

370 PGK

270 PGK
820 PGK

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

410 PGK

270 PGK
820 PGK

Fridge
or Freezer

370 PGK

240 PGK
520 PGK

Washing
Machine

460 PGK

320 PGK
820 PGK

Stove
or Cooker

370 PGK

290 PGK
520 PGK

Mobile
Phone

410 PGK

340 PGK
590 PGK

Laptop
or Computer

460 PGK

370 PGK
820 PGK

How do people spend their money in Papua New Guinea?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Papua New Guinea

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW300 PGK
AVERAGE1,200 PGK
HIGH2,500 PGK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW49 PGK
AVERAGE200 PGK
HIGH420 PGK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW66 PGK
AVERAGE260 PGK
HIGH560 PGK
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW130 PGK
AVERAGE530 PGK
HIGH1,100 PGK
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW74 PGK
AVERAGE300 PGK
HIGH630 PGK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW41 PGK
AVERAGE160 PGK
HIGH350 PGK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW16 PGK
AVERAGE66 PGK
HIGH140 PGK
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW150 PGK
AVERAGE590 PGK
HIGH1,300 PGK
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Papua New Guinea

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW410 PGK
AVERAGE2,000 PGK
HIGH3,300 PGK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW62 PGK
AVERAGE250 PGK
HIGH490 PGK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW150 PGK
AVERAGE740 PGK
HIGH1,200 PGK
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW170 PGK
AVERAGE870 PGK
HIGH1,400 PGK
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW140 PGK
AVERAGE680 PGK
HIGH1,100 PGK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW74 PGK
AVERAGE370 PGK
HIGH590 PGK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW25 PGK
AVERAGE120 PGK
HIGH200 PGK
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW210 PGK
AVERAGE1,100 PGK
HIGH1,700 PGK
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Papua New Guinea

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW920 PGK
AVERAGE3,200 PGK
HIGH4,700 PGK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW87 PGK
AVERAGE400 PGK
HIGH440 PGK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW230 PGK
AVERAGE790 PGK
HIGH1,200 PGK
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW520 PGK
AVERAGE1,800 PGK
HIGH2,700 PGK
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW230 PGK
AVERAGE790 PGK
HIGH1,200 PGK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW140 PGK
AVERAGE490 PGK
HIGH740 PGK
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW400 PGK
AVERAGE1,400 PGK
HIGH2,100 PGK
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW350 PGK
AVERAGE1,200 PGK
HIGH1,800 PGK
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Papua New Guinea

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW99 PGK
AVERAGE590 PGK
HIGH1,300 PGK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW16 PGK
AVERAGE99 PGK
HIGH210 PGK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW29 PGK
AVERAGE170 PGK
HIGH370 PGK
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW82 PGK
AVERAGE490 PGK
HIGH1,100 PGK
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW25 PGK
AVERAGE150 PGK
HIGH320 PGK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW21 PGK
AVERAGE120 PGK
HIGH270 PGK
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW78 PGK
AVERAGE470 PGK
HIGH1,000 PGK
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW62 PGK
AVERAGE370 PGK
HIGH800 PGK
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Papua New Guinea typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,700 PGK with expenditure ranging from 430 PGK and 3,000 PGK. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Papua New Guinea ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 230 PGK with 54 PGK and 390 PGK being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 120 PGK to 830 PGK on commuting with 490 PGK being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Papua New Guinea is 920 PGK. The cost of groceries can range between 230 PGK to 1,600 PGK. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Papua New Guinea allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 120 PGK to 810 PGK with 480 PGK being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 70 PGK to 490 PGK with 290 PGK being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 510 PGK per month with 130 PGK being the minimum spent amount and 860 PGK being the maximum.

©copound