Cost Of Living in Paraguay

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Paraguay

Whether you're living in Paraguay or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
6,600,000 PYG
average per month
1,600,000 PYG
Range
14,000,000 PYG

Couple
12,000,000 PYG
average per month
2,500,000 PYG
Range
20,000,000 PYG

Family
20,000,000 PYG
average per month
5,800,000 PYG
Range
30,000,000 PYG

Student
4,900,000 PYG
average per month
820,000 PYG
Range
11,000,000 PYG
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Paraguay is 6,600,000 PYG. Expenses can range from 1,600,000 PYG at the minimum level to 14,000,000 PYG at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Paraguay is 12,000,000 PYG. Expenditure can range from 2,500,000 PYG to 20,000,000 PYG per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Paraguay is 20,000,000 PYG per month. Families spend anywhere from 5,800,000 PYG to 30,000,000 PYG.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Paraguay is 4,900,000 PYG. Students spend from 820,000 PYG to 11,000,000 PYG per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Paraguay

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1,600 PYG

1,600 PYG
1,600 PYG

Fast food
combo meal

16,000 PYG

12,000 PYG
27,000 PYG

Restaurant
meal for one

55,000 PYG

43,000 PYG
69,000 PYG

Fine dining
meal for one

140,000 PYG

92,000 PYG
160,000 PYG

Soda
Soft Drink

1,400 PYG

1,400 PYG
1,400 PYG

Cappuccino
or latte

11,000 PYG

6,900 PYG
16,000 PYG

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

8,200 PYG

6,900 PYG
9,200 PYG

Loaf of
bread

1,200 PYG

1,000 PYG
1,400 PYG

12
eggs

8,200 PYG

6,900 PYG
10,000 PYG

Fresh whole
chicken

19,000 PYG

15,000 PYG
24,000 PYG

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

22,000 PYG

18,000 PYG
27,000 PYG

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

12,000 PYG

10,000 PYG
14,000 PYG

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

5,500 PYG

4,600 PYG
6,900 PYG

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

5,900 PYG

5,200 PYG
6,300 PYG

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

5,700 PYG

5,000 PYG
6,300 PYG

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

8,200 PYG

6,900 PYG
16,000 PYG

Average car
full tank

55,000 PYG

41,000 PYG
110,000 PYG

Average car
1-day rental

55,000 PYG

41,000 PYG
82,000 PYG

Average car
price

41,000,000 PYG

21,000,000 PYG
55,000,000 PYG

Bus ticket
one way

2,100 PYG

1,400 PYG
4,100 PYG

Car
Service

82,000 PYG

55,000 PYG
160,000 PYG

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

400,000 PYG

99,000 PYG
840,000 PYG

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

490,000 PYG

120,000 PYG
990,000 PYG

Electricity
and water bill
Family

790,000 PYG

170,000 PYG
890,000 PYG

Internet
and cable

82,000 PYG

41,000 PYG
110,000 PYG

Mobile phone
charges

55,000 PYG

33,000 PYG
160,000 PYG

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

27,000 PYG

21,000 PYG
41,000 PYG

One month gym
membership

82,000 PYG

66,000 PYG
160,000 PYG

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

69,000 PYG

49,000 PYG
100,000 PYG

Woman
dress

63,000 PYG

46,000 PYG
210,000 PYG

Woman
shoes

59,000 PYG

43,000 PYG
140,000 PYG

Men
shoes

46,000 PYG

37,000 PYG
92,000 PYG

Men
suit

52,000 PYG

41,000 PYG
270,000 PYG

Regular
t-shirt

27,000 PYG

21,000 PYG
82,000 PYG

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,000,000 PYG

690,000 PYG
2,700,000 PYG

1-bedroom
apartment

1,600,000 PYG

1,000,000 PYG
4,100,000 PYG

2-bedroom
apartment

2,100,000 PYG

1,400,000 PYG
5,500,000 PYG

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

210,000,000 PYG

140,000,000 PYG
410,000,000 PYG

1-bedroom
apartment

270,000,000 PYG

160,000,000 PYG
1,000,000,000 PYG

2-bedroom
apartment

820,000,000 PYG

270,000,000 PYG
1,600,000,000 PYG

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,000,000 PYG

820,000 PYG
1,400,000 PYG

Double
Bed

820,000 PYG

550,000 PYG
1,000,000 PYG

Single
Bed

630,000 PYG

490,000 PYG
820,000 PYG

Living
Room

1,200,000 PYG

920,000 PYG
4,100,000 PYG

Dining
Table

550,000 PYG

410,000 PYG
1,000,000 PYG

Sofa
or Couch

750,000 PYG

550,000 PYG
1,600,000 PYG

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

820,000 PYG

550,000 PYG
1,600,000 PYG

Fridge
or Freezer

750,000 PYG

490,000 PYG
1,000,000 PYG

Washing
Machine

920,000 PYG

630,000 PYG
1,600,000 PYG

Stove
or Cooker

750,000 PYG

590,000 PYG
1,000,000 PYG

Mobile
Phone

820,000 PYG

690,000 PYG
1,200,000 PYG

Laptop
or Computer

920,000 PYG

750,000 PYG
1,600,000 PYG

How do people spend their money in Paraguay?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Paraguay

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW590,000 PYG
AVERAGE2,400,000 PYG
HIGH5,000,000 PYG
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW99,000 PYG
AVERAGE400,000 PYG
HIGH840,000 PYG
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW130,000 PYG
AVERAGE530,000 PYG
HIGH1,100,000 PYG
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW260,000 PYG
AVERAGE1,100,000 PYG
HIGH2,200,000 PYG
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW150,000 PYG
AVERAGE590,000 PYG
HIGH1,300,000 PYG
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW82,000 PYG
AVERAGE330,000 PYG
HIGH700,000 PYG
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW33,000 PYG
AVERAGE130,000 PYG
HIGH280,000 PYG
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW300,000 PYG
AVERAGE1,200,000 PYG
HIGH2,500,000 PYG
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Paraguay

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW820,000 PYG
AVERAGE4,100,000 PYG
HIGH6,500,000 PYG
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW120,000 PYG
AVERAGE490,000 PYG
HIGH990,000 PYG
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW300,000 PYG
AVERAGE1,500,000 PYG
HIGH2,400,000 PYG
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW350,000 PYG
AVERAGE1,700,000 PYG
HIGH2,800,000 PYG
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW270,000 PYG
AVERAGE1,400,000 PYG
HIGH2,200,000 PYG
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW150,000 PYG
AVERAGE740,000 PYG
HIGH1,200,000 PYG
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW49,000 PYG
AVERAGE250,000 PYG
HIGH400,000 PYG
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW420,000 PYG
AVERAGE2,100,000 PYG
HIGH3,400,000 PYG
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Paraguay

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,800,000 PYG
AVERAGE6,300,000 PYG
HIGH9,500,000 PYG
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW170,000 PYG
AVERAGE790,000 PYG
HIGH890,000 PYG
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW460,000 PYG
AVERAGE1,600,000 PYG
HIGH2,400,000 PYG
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,000,000 PYG
AVERAGE3,600,000 PYG
HIGH5,300,000 PYG
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW460,000 PYG
AVERAGE1,600,000 PYG
HIGH2,400,000 PYG
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW290,000 PYG
AVERAGE990,000 PYG
HIGH1,500,000 PYG
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW810,000 PYG
AVERAGE2,800,000 PYG
HIGH4,200,000 PYG
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW690,000 PYG
AVERAGE2,400,000 PYG
HIGH3,600,000 PYG
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Paraguay

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW200,000 PYG
AVERAGE1,200,000 PYG
HIGH2,600,000 PYG
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW33,000 PYG
AVERAGE200,000 PYG
HIGH430,000 PYG
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW58,000 PYG
AVERAGE350,000 PYG
HIGH750,000 PYG
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW160,000 PYG
AVERAGE990,000 PYG
HIGH2,100,000 PYG
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW49,000 PYG
AVERAGE300,000 PYG
HIGH640,000 PYG
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW41,000 PYG
AVERAGE250,000 PYG
HIGH540,000 PYG
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW160,000 PYG
AVERAGE940,000 PYG
HIGH2,000,000 PYG
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW120,000 PYG
AVERAGE740,000 PYG
HIGH1,600,000 PYG
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Paraguay typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,500,000 PYG with expenditure ranging from 860,000 PYG and 5,900,000 PYG. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Paraguay ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 470,000 PYG with 110,000 PYG and 790,000 PYG being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 240,000 PYG to 1,700,000 PYG on commuting with 990,000 PYG being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Paraguay is 1,800,000 PYG. The cost of groceries can range between 450,000 PYG to 3,100,000 PYG. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Paraguay allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 230,000 PYG to 1,600,000 PYG with 960,000 PYG being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 140,000 PYG to 980,000 PYG with 580,000 PYG being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,000,000 PYG per month with 260,000 PYG being the minimum spent amount and 1,700,000 PYG being the maximum.

©copound