Cost Of Living in Peru

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Peru

Whether you're living in Peru or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
6,100 PEN
average per month
1,500 PEN
Range
13,000 PEN

Couple
11,000 PEN
average per month
2,300 PEN
Range
18,000 PEN

Family
18,000 PEN
average per month
5,300 PEN
Range
27,000 PEN

Student
4,500 PEN
average per month
760 PEN
Range
9,800 PEN
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Peru is 6,100 PEN. Expenses can range from 1,500 PEN at the minimum level to 13,000 PEN at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Peru is 11,000 PEN. Expenditure can range from 2,300 PEN to 18,000 PEN per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Peru is 18,000 PEN per month. Families spend anywhere from 5,300 PEN to 27,000 PEN.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Peru is 4,500 PEN. Students spend from 760 PEN to 9,800 PEN per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Peru

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.5 PEN

1.5 PEN
1.5 PEN

Fast food
combo meal

15 PEN

11 PEN
25 PEN

Restaurant
meal for one

50 PEN

40 PEN
63 PEN

Fine dining
meal for one

130 PEN

84 PEN
150 PEN

Soda
Soft Drink

1.3 PEN

1.3 PEN
1.3 PEN

Cappuccino
or latte

10 PEN

6.3 PEN
15 PEN

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

7.6 PEN

6.3 PEN
8.4 PEN

Loaf of
bread

1.1 PEN

0.95 PEN
1.3 PEN

12
eggs

7.6 PEN

6.3 PEN
9.5 PEN

Fresh whole
chicken

18 PEN

14 PEN
22 PEN

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

20 PEN

17 PEN
25 PEN

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

11 PEN

9.5 PEN
13 PEN

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

5.1 PEN

4.2 PEN
6.3 PEN

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

5.4 PEN

4.7 PEN
5.8 PEN

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

5.2 PEN

4.6 PEN
5.8 PEN

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

7.6 PEN

6.3 PEN
15 PEN

Average car
full tank

50 PEN

38 PEN
100 PEN

Average car
1-day rental

50 PEN

38 PEN
76 PEN

Average car
price

38,000 PEN

19,000 PEN
50,000 PEN

Bus ticket
one way

1.9 PEN

1.3 PEN
3.8 PEN

Car
Service

76 PEN

50 PEN
150 PEN

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

360 PEN

91 PEN
770 PEN

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

450 PEN

110 PEN
910 PEN

Electricity
and water bill
Family

730 PEN

160 PEN
820 PEN

Internet
and cable

76 PEN

38 PEN
100 PEN

Mobile phone
charges

50 PEN

30 PEN
150 PEN

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

25 PEN

19 PEN
38 PEN

One month gym
membership

76 PEN

61 PEN
150 PEN

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

63 PEN

45 PEN
95 PEN

Woman
dress

58 PEN

42 PEN
190 PEN

Woman
shoes

54 PEN

40 PEN
130 PEN

Men
shoes

42 PEN

34 PEN
84 PEN

Men
suit

47 PEN

38 PEN
250 PEN

Regular
t-shirt

25 PEN

19 PEN
76 PEN

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

950 PEN

630 PEN
2,500 PEN

1-bedroom
apartment

1,500 PEN

950 PEN
3,800 PEN

2-bedroom
apartment

1,900 PEN

1,300 PEN
5,000 PEN

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

190,000 PEN

130,000 PEN
380,000 PEN

1-bedroom
apartment

250,000 PEN

150,000 PEN
950,000 PEN

2-bedroom
apartment

760,000 PEN

250,000 PEN
1,500,000 PEN

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

950 PEN

760 PEN
1,300 PEN

Double
Bed

760 PEN

500 PEN
950 PEN

Single
Bed

580 PEN

450 PEN
760 PEN

Living
Room

1,100 PEN

840 PEN
3,800 PEN

Dining
Table

500 PEN

380 PEN
950 PEN

Sofa
or Couch

690 PEN

500 PEN
1,500 PEN

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

760 PEN

500 PEN
1,500 PEN

Fridge
or Freezer

690 PEN

450 PEN
950 PEN

Washing
Machine

840 PEN

580 PEN
1,500 PEN

Stove
or Cooker

690 PEN

540 PEN
950 PEN

Mobile
Phone

760 PEN

630 PEN
1,100 PEN

Laptop
or Computer

840 PEN

690 PEN
1,500 PEN

How do people spend their money in Peru?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Peru

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW540 PEN
AVERAGE2,200 PEN
HIGH4,600 PEN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW91 PEN
AVERAGE360 PEN
HIGH770 PEN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW120 PEN
AVERAGE480 PEN
HIGH1,000 PEN
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW240 PEN
AVERAGE970 PEN
HIGH2,100 PEN
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW140 PEN
AVERAGE540 PEN
HIGH1,200 PEN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW76 PEN
AVERAGE300 PEN
HIGH640 PEN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW30 PEN
AVERAGE120 PEN
HIGH260 PEN
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW270 PEN
AVERAGE1,100 PEN
HIGH2,300 PEN
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Peru

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW750 PEN
AVERAGE3,700 PEN
HIGH6,000 PEN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW110 PEN
AVERAGE450 PEN
HIGH910 PEN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW270 PEN
AVERAGE1,400 PEN
HIGH2,200 PEN
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW320 PEN
AVERAGE1,600 PEN
HIGH2,500 PEN
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW250 PEN
AVERAGE1,200 PEN
HIGH2,000 PEN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW140 PEN
AVERAGE680 PEN
HIGH1,100 PEN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW45 PEN
AVERAGE230 PEN
HIGH360 PEN
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW390 PEN
AVERAGE1,900 PEN
HIGH3,100 PEN
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Peru

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,700 PEN
AVERAGE5,800 PEN
HIGH8,700 PEN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW160 PEN
AVERAGE730 PEN
HIGH820 PEN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW420 PEN
AVERAGE1,500 PEN
HIGH2,200 PEN
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW950 PEN
AVERAGE3,300 PEN
HIGH4,900 PEN
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW420 PEN
AVERAGE1,500 PEN
HIGH2,200 PEN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW260 PEN
AVERAGE910 PEN
HIGH1,400 PEN
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW740 PEN
AVERAGE2,500 PEN
HIGH3,800 PEN
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW640 PEN
AVERAGE2,200 PEN
HIGH3,300 PEN
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Peru

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW180 PEN
AVERAGE1,100 PEN
HIGH2,400 PEN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW30 PEN
AVERAGE180 PEN
HIGH390 PEN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW53 PEN
AVERAGE320 PEN
HIGH690 PEN
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW150 PEN
AVERAGE910 PEN
HIGH2,000 PEN
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW45 PEN
AVERAGE270 PEN
HIGH590 PEN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW38 PEN
AVERAGE230 PEN
HIGH490 PEN
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW140 PEN
AVERAGE860 PEN
HIGH1,900 PEN
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW110 PEN
AVERAGE680 PEN
HIGH1,500 PEN
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Peru typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,200 PEN with expenditure ranging from 790 PEN and 5,400 PEN. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Peru ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 430 PEN with 98 PEN and 720 PEN being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 220 PEN to 1,500 PEN on commuting with 900 PEN being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Peru is 1,700 PEN. The cost of groceries can range between 420 PEN to 2,900 PEN. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Peru allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 210 PEN to 1,500 PEN with 880 PEN being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 130 PEN to 900 PEN with 530 PEN being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 940 PEN per month with 240 PEN being the minimum spent amount and 1,600 PEN being the maximum.

©copound