Cost Of Living in Philippines

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Philippines

Whether you're living in Philippines or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
36,000 PHP
average per month
9,000 PHP
Range
76,000 PHP

Couple
67,000 PHP
average per month
13,000 PHP
Range
110,000 PHP

Family
110,000 PHP
average per month
31,000 PHP
Range
160,000 PHP

Student
27,000 PHP
average per month
4,500 PHP
Range
58,000 PHP
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Philippines is 36,000 PHP. Expenses can range from 9,000 PHP at the minimum level to 76,000 PHP at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Philippines is 67,000 PHP. Expenditure can range from 13,000 PHP to 110,000 PHP per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Philippines is 110,000 PHP per month. Families spend anywhere from 31,000 PHP to 160,000 PHP.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Philippines is 27,000 PHP. Students spend from 4,500 PHP to 58,000 PHP per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Philippines

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

9.0 PHP

9.0 PHP
9.0 PHP

Fast food
combo meal

90 PHP

64 PHP
150 PHP

Restaurant
meal for one

300 PHP

240 PHP
370 PHP

Fine dining
meal for one

750 PHP

500 PHP
900 PHP

Soda
Soft Drink

7.5 PHP

7.5 PHP
7.5 PHP

Cappuccino
or latte

60 PHP

37 PHP
90 PHP

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

45 PHP

37 PHP
50 PHP

Loaf of
bread

6.4 PHP

5.6 PHP
7.5 PHP

12
eggs

45 PHP

37 PHP
56 PHP

Fresh whole
chicken

100 PHP

81 PHP
130 PHP

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

120 PHP

99 PHP
150 PHP

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

64 PHP

56 PHP
75 PHP

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

30 PHP

25 PHP
37 PHP

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

32 PHP

28 PHP
34 PHP

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

31 PHP

27 PHP
34 PHP

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

45 PHP

37 PHP
90 PHP

Average car
full tank

300 PHP

220 PHP
600 PHP

Average car
1-day rental

300 PHP

220 PHP
450 PHP

Average car
price

220,000 PHP

110,000 PHP
300,000 PHP

Bus ticket
one way

11 PHP

7.5 PHP
22 PHP

Car
Service

450 PHP

300 PHP
900 PHP

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

2,100 PHP

540 PHP
4,600 PHP

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

2,700 PHP

670 PHP
5,400 PHP

Electricity
and water bill
Family

4,300 PHP

940 PHP
4,800 PHP

Internet
and cable

450 PHP

220 PHP
600 PHP

Mobile phone
charges

300 PHP

180 PHP
900 PHP

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

150 PHP

110 PHP
220 PHP

One month gym
membership

450 PHP

360 PHP
900 PHP

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

370 PHP

260 PHP
560 PHP

Woman
dress

340 PHP

250 PHP
1,100 PHP

Woman
shoes

320 PHP

240 PHP
750 PHP

Men
shoes

250 PHP

200 PHP
500 PHP

Men
suit

280 PHP

220 PHP
1,500 PHP

Regular
t-shirt

150 PHP

110 PHP
450 PHP

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

5,600 PHP

3,700 PHP
15,000 PHP

1-bedroom
apartment

9,000 PHP

5,600 PHP
22,000 PHP

2-bedroom
apartment

11,000 PHP

7,500 PHP
30,000 PHP

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

1,100,000 PHP

750,000 PHP
2,200,000 PHP

1-bedroom
apartment

1,500,000 PHP

900,000 PHP
5,600,000 PHP

2-bedroom
apartment

4,500,000 PHP

1,500,000 PHP
9,000,000 PHP

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

5,600 PHP

4,500 PHP
7,500 PHP

Double
Bed

4,500 PHP

3,000 PHP
5,600 PHP

Single
Bed

3,400 PHP

2,600 PHP
4,500 PHP

Living
Room

6,400 PHP

5,000 PHP
22,000 PHP

Dining
Table

3,000 PHP

2,200 PHP
5,600 PHP

Sofa
or Couch

4,100 PHP

3,000 PHP
9,000 PHP

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

4,500 PHP

3,000 PHP
9,000 PHP

Fridge
or Freezer

4,100 PHP

2,600 PHP
5,600 PHP

Washing
Machine

5,000 PHP

3,400 PHP
9,000 PHP

Stove
or Cooker

4,100 PHP

3,200 PHP
5,600 PHP

Mobile
Phone

4,500 PHP

3,700 PHP
6,400 PHP

Laptop
or Computer

5,000 PHP

4,100 PHP
9,000 PHP

How do people spend their money in Philippines?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Philippines

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW3,200 PHP
AVERAGE13,000 PHP
HIGH27,000 PHP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW540 PHP
AVERAGE2,100 PHP
HIGH4,600 PHP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW720 PHP
AVERAGE2,900 PHP
HIGH6,100 PHP
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,400 PHP
AVERAGE5,700 PHP
HIGH12,000 PHP
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW810 PHP
AVERAGE3,200 PHP
HIGH6,800 PHP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW450 PHP
AVERAGE1,800 PHP
HIGH3,800 PHP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW180 PHP
AVERAGE720 PHP
HIGH1,500 PHP
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,600 PHP
AVERAGE6,400 PHP
HIGH14,000 PHP
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Philippines

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW4,400 PHP
AVERAGE22,000 PHP
HIGH35,000 PHP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW670 PHP
AVERAGE2,700 PHP
HIGH5,400 PHP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,600 PHP
AVERAGE8,100 PHP
HIGH13,000 PHP
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,900 PHP
AVERAGE9,400 PHP
HIGH15,000 PHP
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,500 PHP
AVERAGE7,400 PHP
HIGH12,000 PHP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW810 PHP
AVERAGE4,000 PHP
HIGH6,400 PHP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW270 PHP
AVERAGE1,300 PHP
HIGH2,100 PHP
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW2,300 PHP
AVERAGE11,000 PHP
HIGH18,000 PHP
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Philippines

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW10,000 PHP
AVERAGE34,000 PHP
HIGH52,000 PHP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW940 PHP
AVERAGE4,300 PHP
HIGH4,800 PHP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW2,500 PHP
AVERAGE8,600 PHP
HIGH13,000 PHP
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW5,600 PHP
AVERAGE19,000 PHP
HIGH29,000 PHP
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW2,500 PHP
AVERAGE8,600 PHP
HIGH13,000 PHP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,600 PHP
AVERAGE5,400 PHP
HIGH8,100 PHP
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW4,400 PHP
AVERAGE15,000 PHP
HIGH23,000 PHP
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW3,800 PHP
AVERAGE13,000 PHP
HIGH19,000 PHP
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Philippines

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW1,100 PHP
AVERAGE6,400 PHP
HIGH14,000 PHP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW180 PHP
AVERAGE1,100 PHP
HIGH2,300 PHP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW310 PHP
AVERAGE1,900 PHP
HIGH4,100 PHP
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW900 PHP
AVERAGE5,400 PHP
HIGH12,000 PHP
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW270 PHP
AVERAGE1,600 PHP
HIGH3,500 PHP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW220 PHP
AVERAGE1,300 PHP
HIGH2,900 PHP
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW850 PHP
AVERAGE5,100 PHP
HIGH11,000 PHP
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW670 PHP
AVERAGE4,000 PHP
HIGH8,700 PHP
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Philippines typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 19,000 PHP with expenditure ranging from 4,700 PHP and 32,000 PHP. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Philippines ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 2,600 PHP with 580 PHP and 4,300 PHP being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 1,300 PHP to 9,000 PHP on commuting with 5,300 PHP being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Philippines is 10,000 PHP. The cost of groceries can range between 2,500 PHP to 17,000 PHP. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Philippines allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 1,300 PHP to 8,800 PHP with 5,200 PHP being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 760 PHP to 5,300 PHP with 3,100 PHP being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 5,600 PHP per month with 1,400 PHP being the minimum spent amount and 9,300 PHP being the maximum.

©copound