Cost Of Living in Poland

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Poland

Whether you're living in Poland or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
6,100 PLN
average per month
1,500 PLN
Range
13,000 PLN

Couple
11,000 PLN
average per month
2,300 PLN
Range
18,000 PLN

Family
18,000 PLN
average per month
5,300 PLN
Range
27,000 PLN

Student
4,600 PLN
average per month
760 PLN
Range
9,900 PLN
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Poland is 6,100 PLN. Expenses can range from 1,500 PLN at the minimum level to 13,000 PLN at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Poland is 11,000 PLN. Expenditure can range from 2,300 PLN to 18,000 PLN per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Poland is 18,000 PLN per month. Families spend anywhere from 5,300 PLN to 27,000 PLN.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Poland is 4,600 PLN. Students spend from 760 PLN to 9,900 PLN per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Poland

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.5 PLN

1.5 PLN
1.5 PLN

Fast food
combo meal

15 PLN

11 PLN
25 PLN

Restaurant
meal for one

51 PLN

40 PLN
63 PLN

Fine dining
meal for one

130 PLN

84 PLN
150 PLN

Soda
Soft Drink

1.3 PLN

1.3 PLN
1.3 PLN

Cappuccino
or latte

10 PLN

6.3 PLN
15 PLN

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

7.6 PLN

6.3 PLN
8.4 PLN

Loaf of
bread

1.1 PLN

0.95 PLN
1.3 PLN

12
eggs

7.6 PLN

6.3 PLN
9.5 PLN

Fresh whole
chicken

18 PLN

14 PLN
22 PLN

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

20 PLN

17 PLN
25 PLN

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

11 PLN

9.5 PLN
13 PLN

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

5.1 PLN

4.2 PLN
6.3 PLN

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

5.4 PLN

4.7 PLN
5.8 PLN

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

5.2 PLN

4.6 PLN
5.8 PLN

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

7.6 PLN

6.3 PLN
15 PLN

Average car
full tank

51 PLN

38 PLN
100 PLN

Average car
1-day rental

51 PLN

38 PLN
76 PLN

Average car
price

38,000 PLN

19,000 PLN
51,000 PLN

Bus ticket
one way

1.9 PLN

1.3 PLN
3.8 PLN

Car
Service

76 PLN

51 PLN
150 PLN

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

360 PLN

91 PLN
770 PLN

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

460 PLN

110 PLN
910 PLN

Electricity
and water bill
Family

730 PLN

160 PLN
820 PLN

Internet
and cable

76 PLN

38 PLN
100 PLN

Mobile phone
charges

51 PLN

30 PLN
150 PLN

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

25 PLN

19 PLN
38 PLN

One month gym
membership

76 PLN

61 PLN
150 PLN

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

63 PLN

45 PLN
95 PLN

Woman
dress

58 PLN

42 PLN
190 PLN

Woman
shoes

54 PLN

40 PLN
130 PLN

Men
shoes

42 PLN

35 PLN
84 PLN

Men
suit

47 PLN

38 PLN
250 PLN

Regular
t-shirt

25 PLN

19 PLN
76 PLN

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

950 PLN

630 PLN
2,500 PLN

1-bedroom
apartment

1,500 PLN

950 PLN
3,800 PLN

2-bedroom
apartment

1,900 PLN

1,300 PLN
5,100 PLN

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

190,000 PLN

130,000 PLN
380,000 PLN

1-bedroom
apartment

250,000 PLN

150,000 PLN
950,000 PLN

2-bedroom
apartment

760,000 PLN

250,000 PLN
1,500,000 PLN

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

950 PLN

760 PLN
1,300 PLN

Double
Bed

760 PLN

510 PLN
950 PLN

Single
Bed

580 PLN

450 PLN
760 PLN

Living
Room

1,100 PLN

840 PLN
3,800 PLN

Dining
Table

510 PLN

380 PLN
950 PLN

Sofa
or Couch

690 PLN

510 PLN
1,500 PLN

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

760 PLN

510 PLN
1,500 PLN

Fridge
or Freezer

690 PLN

450 PLN
950 PLN

Washing
Machine

840 PLN

580 PLN
1,500 PLN

Stove
or Cooker

690 PLN

540 PLN
950 PLN

Mobile
Phone

760 PLN

630 PLN
1,100 PLN

Laptop
or Computer

840 PLN

690 PLN
1,500 PLN

How do people spend their money in Poland?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Poland

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW550 PLN
AVERAGE2,200 PLN
HIGH4,600 PLN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW91 PLN
AVERAGE360 PLN
HIGH770 PLN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW120 PLN
AVERAGE490 PLN
HIGH1,000 PLN
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW240 PLN
AVERAGE970 PLN
HIGH2,100 PLN
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW140 PLN
AVERAGE550 PLN
HIGH1,200 PLN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW76 PLN
AVERAGE300 PLN
HIGH650 PLN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW30 PLN
AVERAGE120 PLN
HIGH260 PLN
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW270 PLN
AVERAGE1,100 PLN
HIGH2,300 PLN
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Poland

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW750 PLN
AVERAGE3,800 PLN
HIGH6,000 PLN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW110 PLN
AVERAGE460 PLN
HIGH910 PLN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW270 PLN
AVERAGE1,400 PLN
HIGH2,200 PLN
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW320 PLN
AVERAGE1,600 PLN
HIGH2,600 PLN
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW250 PLN
AVERAGE1,300 PLN
HIGH2,000 PLN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW140 PLN
AVERAGE680 PLN
HIGH1,100 PLN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW46 PLN
AVERAGE230 PLN
HIGH360 PLN
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW390 PLN
AVERAGE1,900 PLN
HIGH3,100 PLN
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Poland

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,700 PLN
AVERAGE5,800 PLN
HIGH8,700 PLN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW160 PLN
AVERAGE730 PLN
HIGH820 PLN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW430 PLN
AVERAGE1,500 PLN
HIGH2,200 PLN
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW960 PLN
AVERAGE3,300 PLN
HIGH4,900 PLN
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW430 PLN
AVERAGE1,500 PLN
HIGH2,200 PLN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW270 PLN
AVERAGE910 PLN
HIGH1,400 PLN
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW740 PLN
AVERAGE2,600 PLN
HIGH3,800 PLN
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW640 PLN
AVERAGE2,200 PLN
HIGH3,300 PLN
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Poland

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW180 PLN
AVERAGE1,100 PLN
HIGH2,400 PLN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW30 PLN
AVERAGE180 PLN
HIGH390 PLN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW53 PLN
AVERAGE320 PLN
HIGH690 PLN
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW150 PLN
AVERAGE910 PLN
HIGH2,000 PLN
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW46 PLN
AVERAGE270 PLN
HIGH590 PLN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW38 PLN
AVERAGE230 PLN
HIGH490 PLN
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW140 PLN
AVERAGE870 PLN
HIGH1,900 PLN
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW110 PLN
AVERAGE680 PLN
HIGH1,500 PLN
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Poland typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,200 PLN with expenditure ranging from 800 PLN and 5,400 PLN. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Poland ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 430 PLN with 99 PLN and 720 PLN being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 220 PLN to 1,500 PLN on commuting with 910 PLN being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Poland is 1,700 PLN. The cost of groceries can range between 420 PLN to 2,900 PLN. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Poland allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 210 PLN to 1,500 PLN with 880 PLN being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 130 PLN to 900 PLN with 530 PLN being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 940 PLN per month with 240 PLN being the minimum spent amount and 1,600 PLN being the maximum.

©copound