Cost Of Living in Portugal

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Portugal

Whether you're living in Portugal or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,200 EUR
average per month
550 EUR
Range
4,700 EUR

Couple
4,100 EUR
average per month
830 EUR
Range
6,600 EUR

Family
6,600 EUR
average per month
1,900 EUR
Range
9,900 EUR

Student
1,700 EUR
average per month
280 EUR
Range
3,600 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Portugal is 2,200 EUR. Expenses can range from 550 EUR at the minimum level to 4,700 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Portugal is 4,100 EUR. Expenditure can range from 830 EUR to 6,600 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Portugal is 6,600 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,900 EUR to 9,900 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Portugal is 1,700 EUR. Students spend from 280 EUR to 3,600 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Portugal

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.55 EUR

0.55 EUR
0.55 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

5.5 EUR

4.0 EUR
9.2 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

18 EUR

15 EUR
23 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

46 EUR

31 EUR
55 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.46 EUR

0.46 EUR
0.46 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

3.7 EUR

2.3 EUR
5.5 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2.8 EUR

2.3 EUR
3.1 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.39 EUR

0.35 EUR
0.46 EUR

12
eggs

2.8 EUR

2.3 EUR
3.5 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

6.4 EUR

5.0 EUR
7.9 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

7.3 EUR

6.1 EUR
9.2 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

4.0 EUR

3.5 EUR
4.6 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.8 EUR

1.5 EUR
2.3 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.0 EUR

1.7 EUR
2.1 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.9 EUR

1.7 EUR
2.1 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2.8 EUR

2.3 EUR
5.5 EUR

Average car
full tank

18 EUR

14 EUR
37 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

18 EUR

14 EUR
28 EUR

Average car
price

14,000 EUR

6,900 EUR
18,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

0.69 EUR

0.46 EUR
1.4 EUR

Car
Service

28 EUR

18 EUR
55 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

130 EUR

33 EUR
280 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

170 EUR

41 EUR
330 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

270 EUR

58 EUR
300 EUR

Internet
and cable

28 EUR

14 EUR
37 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

18 EUR

11 EUR
55 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

9.2 EUR

6.9 EUR
14 EUR

One month gym
membership

28 EUR

22 EUR
55 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

23 EUR

16 EUR
35 EUR

Woman
dress

21 EUR

15 EUR
69 EUR

Woman
shoes

20 EUR

15 EUR
46 EUR

Men
shoes

15 EUR

13 EUR
31 EUR

Men
suit

17 EUR

14 EUR
92 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

9.2 EUR

6.9 EUR
28 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

350 EUR

230 EUR
920 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

550 EUR

350 EUR
1,400 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

690 EUR

460 EUR
1,800 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

69,000 EUR

46,000 EUR
140,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

92,000 EUR

55,000 EUR
350,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

280,000 EUR

92,000 EUR
550,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

350 EUR

280 EUR
460 EUR

Double
Bed

280 EUR

180 EUR
350 EUR

Single
Bed

210 EUR

160 EUR
280 EUR

Living
Room

390 EUR

310 EUR
1,400 EUR

Dining
Table

180 EUR

140 EUR
350 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

250 EUR

180 EUR
550 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

280 EUR

180 EUR
550 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

250 EUR

160 EUR
350 EUR

Washing
Machine

310 EUR

210 EUR
550 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

250 EUR

200 EUR
350 EUR

Mobile
Phone

280 EUR

230 EUR
390 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

310 EUR

250 EUR
550 EUR

How do people spend their money in Portugal?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Portugal

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW200 EUR
AVERAGE800 EUR
HIGH1,700 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW33 EUR
AVERAGE130 EUR
HIGH280 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW44 EUR
AVERAGE180 EUR
HIGH380 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW88 EUR
AVERAGE350 EUR
HIGH750 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW50 EUR
AVERAGE200 EUR
HIGH420 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW28 EUR
AVERAGE110 EUR
HIGH230 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW11 EUR
AVERAGE44 EUR
HIGH94 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW99 EUR
AVERAGE400 EUR
HIGH850 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Portugal

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW270 EUR
AVERAGE1,400 EUR
HIGH2,200 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW41 EUR
AVERAGE170 EUR
HIGH330 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW99 EUR
AVERAGE500 EUR
HIGH800 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE580 EUR
HIGH930 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW91 EUR
AVERAGE460 EUR
HIGH730 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW50 EUR
AVERAGE250 EUR
HIGH400 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW17 EUR
AVERAGE83 EUR
HIGH130 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW140 EUR
AVERAGE700 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Portugal

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW620 EUR
AVERAGE2,100 EUR
HIGH3,200 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW58 EUR
AVERAGE270 EUR
HIGH300 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW150 EUR
AVERAGE530 EUR
HIGH800 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW350 EUR
AVERAGE1,200 EUR
HIGH1,800 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW150 EUR
AVERAGE530 EUR
HIGH800 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW97 EUR
AVERAGE330 EUR
HIGH500 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW270 EUR
AVERAGE930 EUR
HIGH1,400 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW230 EUR
AVERAGE800 EUR
HIGH1,200 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Portugal

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW66 EUR
AVERAGE400 EUR
HIGH860 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW11 EUR
AVERAGE66 EUR
HIGH140 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW19 EUR
AVERAGE120 EUR
HIGH250 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW55 EUR
AVERAGE330 EUR
HIGH720 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW17 EUR
AVERAGE99 EUR
HIGH220 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW14 EUR
AVERAGE83 EUR
HIGH180 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW53 EUR
AVERAGE310 EUR
HIGH680 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW41 EUR
AVERAGE250 EUR
HIGH540 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Portugal typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,200 EUR with expenditure ranging from 290 EUR and 2,000 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Portugal ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 160 EUR with 36 EUR and 260 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 79 EUR to 550 EUR on commuting with 330 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Portugal is 610 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 150 EUR to 1,000 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Portugal allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 78 EUR to 540 EUR with 320 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 47 EUR to 330 EUR with 190 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 340 EUR per month with 88 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 580 EUR being the maximum.

Lisbon   Porto   Funchal  
©copound