Cost Of Living in Puerto Rico

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Puerto Rico

Whether you're living in Puerto Rico or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,300 USD
average per month
340 USD
Range
2,900 USD

Couple
2,500 USD
average per month
510 USD
Range
4,000 USD

Family
4,000 USD
average per month
1,200 USD
Range
6,100 USD

Student
1,000 USD
average per month
170 USD
Range
2,200 USD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Puerto Rico is 1,300 USD. Expenses can range from 340 USD at the minimum level to 2,900 USD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Puerto Rico is 2,500 USD. Expenditure can range from 510 USD to 4,000 USD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Puerto Rico is 4,000 USD per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,200 USD to 6,100 USD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Puerto Rico is 1,000 USD. Students spend from 170 USD to 2,200 USD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Puerto Rico

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.34 USD

0.34 USD
0.34 USD

Fast food
combo meal

3.4 USD

2.4 USD
5.6 USD

Restaurant
meal for one

11 USD

8.9 USD
14 USD

Fine dining
meal for one

28 USD

19 USD
34 USD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.28 USD

0.28 USD
0.28 USD

Cappuccino
or latte

2.3 USD

1.4 USD
3.4 USD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1.7 USD

1.4 USD
1.9 USD

Loaf of
bread

0.24 USD

0.21 USD
0.28 USD

12
eggs

1.7 USD

1.4 USD
2.1 USD

Fresh whole
chicken

3.9 USD

3.1 USD
4.8 USD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

4.4 USD

3.7 USD
5.6 USD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2.4 USD

2.1 USD
2.8 USD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.1 USD

0.94 USD
1.4 USD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.2 USD

1.1 USD
1.3 USD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.2 USD

1.0 USD
1.3 USD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1.7 USD

1.4 USD
3.4 USD

Average car
full tank

11 USD

8.4 USD
22 USD

Average car
1-day rental

11 USD

8.4 USD
17 USD

Average car
price

8,400 USD

4,200 USD
11,000 USD

Bus ticket
one way

0.42 USD

0.28 USD
0.84 USD

Car
Service

17 USD

11 USD
34 USD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

81 USD

20 USD
170 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

100 USD

25 USD
200 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

160 USD

35 USD
180 USD

Internet
and cable

17 USD

8.4 USD
22 USD

Mobile phone
charges

11 USD

6.7 USD
34 USD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

5.6 USD

4.2 USD
8.4 USD

One month gym
membership

17 USD

13 USD
34 USD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

14 USD

9.9 USD
21 USD

Woman
dress

13 USD

9.4 USD
42 USD

Woman
shoes

12 USD

8.9 USD
28 USD

Men
shoes

9.4 USD

7.7 USD
19 USD

Men
suit

11 USD

8.4 USD
56 USD

Regular
t-shirt

5.6 USD

4.2 USD
17 USD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

210 USD

140 USD
560 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

340 USD

210 USD
840 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

420 USD

280 USD
1,100 USD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

42,000 USD

28,000 USD
84,000 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

56,000 USD

34,000 USD
210,000 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

170,000 USD

56,000 USD
340,000 USD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

210 USD

170 USD
280 USD

Double
Bed

170 USD

110 USD
210 USD

Single
Bed

130 USD

99 USD
170 USD

Living
Room

240 USD

190 USD
840 USD

Dining
Table

110 USD

84 USD
210 USD

Sofa
or Couch

150 USD

110 USD
340 USD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

170 USD

110 USD
340 USD

Fridge
or Freezer

150 USD

99 USD
210 USD

Washing
Machine

190 USD

130 USD
340 USD

Stove
or Cooker

150 USD

120 USD
210 USD

Mobile
Phone

170 USD

140 USD
240 USD

Laptop
or Computer

190 USD

150 USD
340 USD

How do people spend their money in Puerto Rico?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Puerto Rico

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW120 USD
AVERAGE480 USD
HIGH1,000 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW20 USD
AVERAGE81 USD
HIGH170 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW27 USD
AVERAGE110 USD
HIGH230 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW54 USD
AVERAGE220 USD
HIGH460 USD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW30 USD
AVERAGE120 USD
HIGH260 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW17 USD
AVERAGE67 USD
HIGH140 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW6.7 USD
AVERAGE27 USD
HIGH57 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW61 USD
AVERAGE240 USD
HIGH520 USD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Puerto Rico

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW170 USD
AVERAGE830 USD
HIGH1,300 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW25 USD
AVERAGE100 USD
HIGH200 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW61 USD
AVERAGE300 USD
HIGH480 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW71 USD
AVERAGE350 USD
HIGH570 USD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW56 USD
AVERAGE280 USD
HIGH440 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW30 USD
AVERAGE150 USD
HIGH240 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW10 USD
AVERAGE51 USD
HIGH81 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW86 USD
AVERAGE430 USD
HIGH690 USD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Puerto Rico

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW380 USD
AVERAGE1,300 USD
HIGH1,900 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW35 USD
AVERAGE160 USD
HIGH180 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW94 USD
AVERAGE320 USD
HIGH480 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW210 USD
AVERAGE730 USD
HIGH1,100 USD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW94 USD
AVERAGE320 USD
HIGH480 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW59 USD
AVERAGE200 USD
HIGH300 USD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW170 USD
AVERAGE570 USD
HIGH850 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW140 USD
AVERAGE480 USD
HIGH730 USD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Puerto Rico

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW40 USD
AVERAGE240 USD
HIGH530 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW6.7 USD
AVERAGE40 USD
HIGH88 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW12 USD
AVERAGE71 USD
HIGH150 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW34 USD
AVERAGE200 USD
HIGH440 USD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW10 USD
AVERAGE61 USD
HIGH130 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW8.4 USD
AVERAGE51 USD
HIGH110 USD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW32 USD
AVERAGE190 USD
HIGH420 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW25 USD
AVERAGE150 USD
HIGH330 USD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Puerto Rico typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 710 USD with expenditure ranging from 180 USD and 1,200 USD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Puerto Rico ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 96 USD with 22 USD and 160 USD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 48 USD to 340 USD on commuting with 200 USD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Puerto Rico is 370 USD. The cost of groceries can range between 93 USD to 640 USD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Puerto Rico allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 48 USD to 330 USD with 200 USD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 29 USD to 200 USD with 120 USD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 210 USD per month with 53 USD being the minimum spent amount and 350 USD being the maximum.

©copound