Cost Of Living in Qatar

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Qatar

Whether you're living in Qatar or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
13,000 QAR
average per month
3,100 QAR
Range
27,000 QAR

Couple
24,000 QAR
average per month
4,700 QAR
Range
38,000 QAR

Family
38,000 QAR
average per month
11,000 QAR
Range
57,000 QAR

Student
9,400 QAR
average per month
1,600 QAR
Range
20,000 QAR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Qatar is 13,000 QAR. Expenses can range from 3,100 QAR at the minimum level to 27,000 QAR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Qatar is 24,000 QAR. Expenditure can range from 4,700 QAR to 38,000 QAR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Qatar is 38,000 QAR per month. Families spend anywhere from 11,000 QAR to 57,000 QAR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Qatar is 9,400 QAR. Students spend from 1,600 QAR to 20,000 QAR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Qatar

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

3.2 QAR

3.2 QAR
3.2 QAR

Fast food
combo meal

31 QAR

22 QAR
52 QAR

Restaurant
meal for one

100 QAR

83 QAR
130 QAR

Fine dining
meal for one

260 QAR

170 QAR
310 QAR

Soda
Soft Drink

2.6 QAR

2.6 QAR
2.6 QAR

Cappuccino
or latte

21 QAR

13 QAR
31 QAR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

16 QAR

13 QAR
17 QAR

Loaf of
bread

2.3 QAR

2.0 QAR
2.6 QAR

12
eggs

16 QAR

13 QAR
20 QAR

Fresh whole
chicken

37 QAR

29 QAR
45 QAR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

41 QAR

35 QAR
52 QAR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

22 QAR

20 QAR
26 QAR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

10 QAR

8.7 QAR
13 QAR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

11 QAR

9.8 QAR
12 QAR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

11 QAR

9.5 QAR
12 QAR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

16 QAR

13 QAR
31 QAR

Average car
full tank

100 QAR

79 QAR
210 QAR

Average car
1-day rental

100 QAR

79 QAR
160 QAR

Average car
price

79,000 QAR

39,000 QAR
100,000 QAR

Bus ticket
one way

3.9 QAR

2.6 QAR
7.9 QAR

Car
Service

160 QAR

100 QAR
310 QAR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

760 QAR

190 QAR
1,600 QAR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

940 QAR

240 QAR
1,900 QAR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,500 QAR

330 QAR
1,700 QAR

Internet
and cable

160 QAR

79 QAR
210 QAR

Mobile phone
charges

100 QAR

63 QAR
310 QAR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

52 QAR

39 QAR
79 QAR

One month gym
membership

160 QAR

130 QAR
310 QAR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

130 QAR

93 QAR
200 QAR

Woman
dress

120 QAR

87 QAR
390 QAR

Woman
shoes

110 QAR

83 QAR
260 QAR

Men
shoes

87 QAR

72 QAR
170 QAR

Men
suit

98 QAR

79 QAR
520 QAR

Regular
t-shirt

52 QAR

39 QAR
160 QAR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

2,000 QAR

1,300 QAR
5,200 QAR

1-bedroom
apartment

3,100 QAR

2,000 QAR
7,900 QAR

2-bedroom
apartment

3,900 QAR

2,600 QAR
10,000 QAR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

390,000 QAR

260,000 QAR
790,000 QAR

1-bedroom
apartment

520,000 QAR

310,000 QAR
2,000,000 QAR

2-bedroom
apartment

1,600,000 QAR

520,000 QAR
3,100,000 QAR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

2,000 QAR

1,600 QAR
2,600 QAR

Double
Bed

1,600 QAR

1,000 QAR
2,000 QAR

Single
Bed

1,200 QAR

930 QAR
1,600 QAR

Living
Room

2,200 QAR

1,700 QAR
7,900 QAR

Dining
Table

1,000 QAR

790 QAR
2,000 QAR

Sofa
or Couch

1,400 QAR

1,000 QAR
3,100 QAR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,600 QAR

1,000 QAR
3,100 QAR

Fridge
or Freezer

1,400 QAR

930 QAR
2,000 QAR

Washing
Machine

1,700 QAR

1,200 QAR
3,100 QAR

Stove
or Cooker

1,400 QAR

1,100 QAR
2,000 QAR

Mobile
Phone

1,600 QAR

1,300 QAR
2,200 QAR

Laptop
or Computer

1,700 QAR

1,400 QAR
3,100 QAR

How do people spend their money in Qatar?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Qatar

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,100 QAR
AVERAGE4,500 QAR
HIGH9,600 QAR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW190 QAR
AVERAGE760 QAR
HIGH1,600 QAR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW250 QAR
AVERAGE1,000 QAR
HIGH2,100 QAR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW500 QAR
AVERAGE2,000 QAR
HIGH4,300 QAR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW280 QAR
AVERAGE1,100 QAR
HIGH2,400 QAR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW160 QAR
AVERAGE630 QAR
HIGH1,300 QAR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW63 QAR
AVERAGE250 QAR
HIGH540 QAR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW570 QAR
AVERAGE2,300 QAR
HIGH4,800 QAR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Qatar

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,600 QAR
AVERAGE7,800 QAR
HIGH12,000 QAR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW240 QAR
AVERAGE940 QAR
HIGH1,900 QAR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW570 QAR
AVERAGE2,800 QAR
HIGH4,500 QAR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW660 QAR
AVERAGE3,300 QAR
HIGH5,300 QAR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW520 QAR
AVERAGE2,600 QAR
HIGH4,200 QAR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW280 QAR
AVERAGE1,400 QAR
HIGH2,300 QAR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW94 QAR
AVERAGE470 QAR
HIGH760 QAR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW800 QAR
AVERAGE4,000 QAR
HIGH6,400 QAR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Qatar

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW3,500 QAR
AVERAGE12,000 QAR
HIGH18,000 QAR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW330 QAR
AVERAGE1,500 QAR
HIGH1,700 QAR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW880 QAR
AVERAGE3,000 QAR
HIGH4,500 QAR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW2,000 QAR
AVERAGE6,800 QAR
HIGH10,000 QAR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW880 QAR
AVERAGE3,000 QAR
HIGH4,500 QAR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW550 QAR
AVERAGE1,900 QAR
HIGH2,800 QAR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,500 QAR
AVERAGE5,300 QAR
HIGH7,900 QAR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,300 QAR
AVERAGE4,500 QAR
HIGH6,800 QAR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Qatar

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW380 QAR
AVERAGE2,300 QAR
HIGH4,900 QAR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW63 QAR
AVERAGE380 QAR
HIGH820 QAR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW110 QAR
AVERAGE660 QAR
HIGH1,400 QAR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW310 QAR
AVERAGE1,900 QAR
HIGH4,100 QAR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW94 QAR
AVERAGE570 QAR
HIGH1,200 QAR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW79 QAR
AVERAGE470 QAR
HIGH1,000 QAR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW300 QAR
AVERAGE1,800 QAR
HIGH3,900 QAR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW240 QAR
AVERAGE1,400 QAR
HIGH3,100 QAR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Qatar typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 6,700 QAR with expenditure ranging from 1,600 QAR and 11,000 QAR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Qatar ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 900 QAR with 200 QAR and 1,500 QAR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 450 QAR to 3,200 QAR on commuting with 1,900 QAR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Qatar is 3,500 QAR. The cost of groceries can range between 870 QAR to 6,000 QAR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Qatar allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 440 QAR to 3,100 QAR with 1,800 QAR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 270 QAR to 1,900 QAR with 1,100 QAR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 2,000 QAR per month with 500 QAR being the minimum spent amount and 3,300 QAR being the maximum.

Doha  
©copound