Cost Of Living in Reunion

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Reunion

Whether you're living in Reunion or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,700 EUR
average per month
420 EUR
Range
3,500 EUR

Couple
3,100 EUR
average per month
620 EUR
Range
5,000 EUR

Family
5,000 EUR
average per month
1,500 EUR
Range
7,500 EUR

Student
1,200 EUR
average per month
210 EUR
Range
2,700 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Reunion is 1,700 EUR. Expenses can range from 420 EUR at the minimum level to 3,500 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Reunion is 3,100 EUR. Expenditure can range from 620 EUR to 5,000 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Reunion is 5,000 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,500 EUR to 7,500 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Reunion is 1,200 EUR. Students spend from 210 EUR to 2,700 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Reunion

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.42 EUR

0.42 EUR
0.42 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

4.2 EUR

3.0 EUR
6.9 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

14 EUR

11 EUR
17 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

35 EUR

23 EUR
42 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.35 EUR

0.35 EUR
0.35 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

2.8 EUR

1.7 EUR
4.2 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2.1 EUR

1.7 EUR
2.3 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.30 EUR

0.26 EUR
0.35 EUR

12
eggs

2.1 EUR

1.7 EUR
2.6 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

4.8 EUR

3.8 EUR
5.9 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

5.5 EUR

4.6 EUR
6.9 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

3.0 EUR

2.6 EUR
3.5 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.4 EUR

1.2 EUR
1.7 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.5 EUR

1.3 EUR
1.6 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.4 EUR

1.3 EUR
1.6 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2.1 EUR

1.7 EUR
4.2 EUR

Average car
full tank

14 EUR

10 EUR
28 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

14 EUR

10 EUR
21 EUR

Average car
price

10,000 EUR

5,200 EUR
14,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

0.52 EUR

0.35 EUR
1.0 EUR

Car
Service

21 EUR

14 EUR
42 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

100 EUR

25 EUR
210 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

120 EUR

31 EUR
250 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

200 EUR

44 EUR
220 EUR

Internet
and cable

21 EUR

10 EUR
28 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

14 EUR

8.3 EUR
42 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

6.9 EUR

5.2 EUR
10 EUR

One month gym
membership

21 EUR

17 EUR
42 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

17 EUR

12 EUR
26 EUR

Woman
dress

16 EUR

12 EUR
52 EUR

Woman
shoes

15 EUR

11 EUR
35 EUR

Men
shoes

12 EUR

9.5 EUR
23 EUR

Men
suit

13 EUR

10 EUR
69 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

6.9 EUR

5.2 EUR
21 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

260 EUR

170 EUR
690 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

420 EUR

260 EUR
1,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

520 EUR

350 EUR
1,400 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

52,000 EUR

35,000 EUR
100,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

69,000 EUR

42,000 EUR
260,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

210,000 EUR

69,000 EUR
420,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

260 EUR

210 EUR
350 EUR

Double
Bed

210 EUR

140 EUR
260 EUR

Single
Bed

160 EUR

120 EUR
210 EUR

Living
Room

300 EUR

230 EUR
1,000 EUR

Dining
Table

140 EUR

100 EUR
260 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

190 EUR

140 EUR
420 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

210 EUR

140 EUR
420 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

190 EUR

120 EUR
260 EUR

Washing
Machine

230 EUR

160 EUR
420 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

190 EUR

150 EUR
260 EUR

Mobile
Phone

210 EUR

170 EUR
300 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

230 EUR

190 EUR
420 EUR

How do people spend their money in Reunion?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Reunion

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW150 EUR
AVERAGE600 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW25 EUR
AVERAGE100 EUR
HIGH210 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW33 EUR
AVERAGE130 EUR
HIGH280 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW67 EUR
AVERAGE270 EUR
HIGH570 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW37 EUR
AVERAGE150 EUR
HIGH320 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW21 EUR
AVERAGE83 EUR
HIGH180 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW8.3 EUR
AVERAGE33 EUR
HIGH71 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW75 EUR
AVERAGE300 EUR
HIGH640 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Reunion

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW210 EUR
AVERAGE1,000 EUR
HIGH1,600 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW31 EUR
AVERAGE120 EUR
HIGH250 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW75 EUR
AVERAGE370 EUR
HIGH600 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW87 EUR
AVERAGE440 EUR
HIGH700 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW69 EUR
AVERAGE340 EUR
HIGH550 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW37 EUR
AVERAGE190 EUR
HIGH300 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW12 EUR
AVERAGE62 EUR
HIGH100 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE530 EUR
HIGH850 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Reunion

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW470 EUR
AVERAGE1,600 EUR
HIGH2,400 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW44 EUR
AVERAGE200 EUR
HIGH220 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE400 EUR
HIGH600 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW260 EUR
AVERAGE900 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE400 EUR
HIGH600 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW73 EUR
AVERAGE250 EUR
HIGH370 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW200 EUR
AVERAGE700 EUR
HIGH1,000 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW170 EUR
AVERAGE600 EUR
HIGH900 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Reunion

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW50 EUR
AVERAGE300 EUR
HIGH650 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW8.3 EUR
AVERAGE50 EUR
HIGH110 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW15 EUR
AVERAGE87 EUR
HIGH190 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW42 EUR
AVERAGE250 EUR
HIGH540 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW12 EUR
AVERAGE75 EUR
HIGH160 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW10 EUR
AVERAGE62 EUR
HIGH140 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW39 EUR
AVERAGE240 EUR
HIGH510 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW31 EUR
AVERAGE190 EUR
HIGH410 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Reunion typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 880 EUR with expenditure ranging from 220 EUR and 1,500 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Reunion ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 120 EUR with 27 EUR and 200 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 60 EUR to 420 EUR on commuting with 250 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Reunion is 460 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 110 EUR to 790 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Reunion allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 59 EUR to 410 EUR with 240 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 35 EUR to 250 EUR with 150 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 260 EUR per month with 66 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 430 EUR being the maximum.

©copound