Cost Of Living in Romania

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Romania

Whether you're living in Romania or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
7,200 RON
average per month
1,800 RON
Range
15,000 RON

Couple
14,000 RON
average per month
2,700 RON
Range
22,000 RON

Family
22,000 RON
average per month
6,300 RON
Range
32,000 RON

Student
5,400 RON
average per month
900 RON
Range
12,000 RON
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Romania is 7,200 RON. Expenses can range from 1,800 RON at the minimum level to 15,000 RON at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Romania is 14,000 RON. Expenditure can range from 2,700 RON to 22,000 RON per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Romania is 22,000 RON per month. Families spend anywhere from 6,300 RON to 32,000 RON.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Romania is 5,400 RON. Students spend from 900 RON to 12,000 RON per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Romania

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.8 RON

1.8 RON
1.8 RON

Fast food
combo meal

18 RON

13 RON
30 RON

Restaurant
meal for one

60 RON

47 RON
75 RON

Fine dining
meal for one

150 RON

100 RON
180 RON

Soda
Soft Drink

1.5 RON

1.5 RON
1.5 RON

Cappuccino
or latte

12 RON

7.5 RON
18 RON

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

9.0 RON

7.5 RON
10 RON

Loaf of
bread

1.3 RON

1.1 RON
1.5 RON

12
eggs

9.0 RON

7.5 RON
11 RON

Fresh whole
chicken

21 RON

16 RON
26 RON

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

24 RON

20 RON
30 RON

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

13 RON

11 RON
15 RON

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

6.0 RON

5.0 RON
7.5 RON

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

6.4 RON

5.6 RON
6.9 RON

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

6.2 RON

5.5 RON
6.9 RON

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

9.0 RON

7.5 RON
18 RON

Average car
full tank

60 RON

45 RON
120 RON

Average car
1-day rental

60 RON

45 RON
90 RON

Average car
price

45,000 RON

23,000 RON
60,000 RON

Bus ticket
one way

2.3 RON

1.5 RON
4.5 RON

Car
Service

90 RON

60 RON
180 RON

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

430 RON

110 RON
920 RON

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

540 RON

140 RON
1,100 RON

Electricity
and water bill
Family

870 RON

190 RON
970 RON

Internet
and cable

90 RON

45 RON
120 RON

Mobile phone
charges

60 RON

36 RON
180 RON

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

30 RON

23 RON
45 RON

One month gym
membership

90 RON

72 RON
180 RON

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

75 RON

53 RON
110 RON

Woman
dress

69 RON

50 RON
230 RON

Woman
shoes

64 RON

47 RON
150 RON

Men
shoes

50 RON

41 RON
100 RON

Men
suit

56 RON

45 RON
300 RON

Regular
t-shirt

30 RON

23 RON
90 RON

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,100 RON

750 RON
3,000 RON

1-bedroom
apartment

1,800 RON

1,100 RON
4,500 RON

2-bedroom
apartment

2,300 RON

1,500 RON
6,000 RON

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

230,000 RON

150,000 RON
450,000 RON

1-bedroom
apartment

300,000 RON

180,000 RON
1,100,000 RON

2-bedroom
apartment

900,000 RON

300,000 RON
1,800,000 RON

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,100 RON

900 RON
1,500 RON

Double
Bed

900 RON

600 RON
1,100 RON

Single
Bed

690 RON

530 RON
900 RON

Living
Room

1,300 RON

1,000 RON
4,500 RON

Dining
Table

600 RON

450 RON
1,100 RON

Sofa
or Couch

820 RON

600 RON
1,800 RON

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

900 RON

600 RON
1,800 RON

Fridge
or Freezer

820 RON

530 RON
1,100 RON

Washing
Machine

1,000 RON

690 RON
1,800 RON

Stove
or Cooker

820 RON

640 RON
1,100 RON

Mobile
Phone

900 RON

750 RON
1,300 RON

Laptop
or Computer

1,000 RON

820 RON
1,800 RON

How do people spend their money in Romania?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Romania

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW650 RON
AVERAGE2,600 RON
HIGH5,500 RON
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW110 RON
AVERAGE430 RON
HIGH920 RON
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW140 RON
AVERAGE580 RON
HIGH1,200 RON
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW290 RON
AVERAGE1,200 RON
HIGH2,500 RON
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW160 RON
AVERAGE650 RON
HIGH1,400 RON
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW90 RON
AVERAGE360 RON
HIGH770 RON
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW36 RON
AVERAGE140 RON
HIGH310 RON
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW320 RON
AVERAGE1,300 RON
HIGH2,800 RON
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Romania

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW890 RON
AVERAGE4,500 RON
HIGH7,100 RON
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW140 RON
AVERAGE540 RON
HIGH1,100 RON
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW320 RON
AVERAGE1,600 RON
HIGH2,600 RON
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW380 RON
AVERAGE1,900 RON
HIGH3,000 RON
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW300 RON
AVERAGE1,500 RON
HIGH2,400 RON
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW160 RON
AVERAGE810 RON
HIGH1,300 RON
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW54 RON
AVERAGE270 RON
HIGH430 RON
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW460 RON
AVERAGE2,300 RON
HIGH3,700 RON
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Romania

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW2,000 RON
AVERAGE6,900 RON
HIGH10,000 RON
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW190 RON
AVERAGE870 RON
HIGH970 RON
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW500 RON
AVERAGE1,700 RON
HIGH2,600 RON
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,100 RON
AVERAGE3,900 RON
HIGH5,800 RON
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW500 RON
AVERAGE1,700 RON
HIGH2,600 RON
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW320 RON
AVERAGE1,100 RON
HIGH1,600 RON
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW880 RON
AVERAGE3,000 RON
HIGH4,500 RON
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW760 RON
AVERAGE2,600 RON
HIGH3,900 RON
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Romania

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW220 RON
AVERAGE1,300 RON
HIGH2,800 RON
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW36 RON
AVERAGE220 RON
HIGH470 RON
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW63 RON
AVERAGE380 RON
HIGH820 RON
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW180 RON
AVERAGE1,100 RON
HIGH2,300 RON
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW54 RON
AVERAGE320 RON
HIGH700 RON
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW45 RON
AVERAGE270 RON
HIGH590 RON
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW170 RON
AVERAGE1,000 RON
HIGH2,200 RON
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW140 RON
AVERAGE810 RON
HIGH1,800 RON
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Romania typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,800 RON with expenditure ranging from 940 RON and 6,500 RON. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Romania ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 510 RON with 120 RON and 860 RON being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 260 RON to 1,800 RON on commuting with 1,100 RON being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Romania is 2,000 RON. The cost of groceries can range between 500 RON to 3,400 RON. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Romania allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 250 RON to 1,800 RON with 1,000 RON being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 150 RON to 1,100 RON with 630 RON being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,100 RON per month with 290 RON being the minimum spent amount and 1,900 RON being the maximum.

©copound