Cost Of Living in Russia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Russia

Whether you're living in Russia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
83,000 RUB
average per month
21,000 RUB
Range
180,000 RUB

Couple
160,000 RUB
average per month
31,000 RUB
Range
250,000 RUB

Family
250,000 RUB
average per month
73,000 RUB
Range
370,000 RUB

Student
62,000 RUB
average per month
10,000 RUB
Range
140,000 RUB
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Russia is 83,000 RUB. Expenses can range from 21,000 RUB at the minimum level to 180,000 RUB at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Russia is 160,000 RUB. Expenditure can range from 31,000 RUB to 250,000 RUB per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Russia is 250,000 RUB per month. Families spend anywhere from 73,000 RUB to 370,000 RUB.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Russia is 62,000 RUB. Students spend from 10,000 RUB to 140,000 RUB per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Russia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

21 RUB

21 RUB
21 RUB

Fast food
combo meal

210 RUB

150 RUB
350 RUB

Restaurant
meal for one

690 RUB

550 RUB
870 RUB

Fine dining
meal for one

1,700 RUB

1,200 RUB
2,100 RUB

Soda
Soft Drink

17 RUB

17 RUB
17 RUB

Cappuccino
or latte

140 RUB

87 RUB
210 RUB

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

100 RUB

87 RUB
120 RUB

Loaf of
bread

15 RUB

13 RUB
17 RUB

12
eggs

100 RUB

87 RUB
130 RUB

Fresh whole
chicken

240 RUB

190 RUB
300 RUB

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

270 RUB

230 RUB
350 RUB

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

150 RUB

130 RUB
170 RUB

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

69 RUB

58 RUB
87 RUB

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

74 RUB

65 RUB
80 RUB

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

72 RUB

63 RUB
80 RUB

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

100 RUB

87 RUB
210 RUB

Average car
full tank

690 RUB

520 RUB
1,400 RUB

Average car
1-day rental

690 RUB

520 RUB
1,000 RUB

Average car
price

520,000 RUB

260,000 RUB
690,000 RUB

Bus ticket
one way

26 RUB

17 RUB
52 RUB

Car
Service

1,000 RUB

690 RUB
2,100 RUB

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

5,000 RUB

1,200 RUB
11,000 RUB

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

6,200 RUB

1,600 RUB
12,000 RUB

Electricity
and water bill
Family

10,000 RUB

2,200 RUB
11,000 RUB

Internet
and cable

1,000 RUB

520 RUB
1,400 RUB

Mobile phone
charges

690 RUB

420 RUB
2,100 RUB

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

350 RUB

260 RUB
520 RUB

One month gym
membership

1,000 RUB

830 RUB
2,100 RUB

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

870 RUB

610 RUB
1,300 RUB

Woman
dress

800 RUB

580 RUB
2,600 RUB

Woman
shoes

740 RUB

550 RUB
1,700 RUB

Men
shoes

580 RUB

470 RUB
1,200 RUB

Men
suit

650 RUB

520 RUB
3,500 RUB

Regular
t-shirt

350 RUB

260 RUB
1,000 RUB

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

13,000 RUB

8,700 RUB
35,000 RUB

1-bedroom
apartment

21,000 RUB

13,000 RUB
52,000 RUB

2-bedroom
apartment

26,000 RUB

17,000 RUB
69,000 RUB

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

2,600,000 RUB

1,700,000 RUB
5,200,000 RUB

1-bedroom
apartment

3,500,000 RUB

2,100,000 RUB
13,000,000 RUB

2-bedroom
apartment

10,000,000 RUB

3,500,000 RUB
21,000,000 RUB

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

13,000 RUB

10,000 RUB
17,000 RUB

Double
Bed

10,000 RUB

6,900 RUB
13,000 RUB

Single
Bed

8,000 RUB

6,100 RUB
10,000 RUB

Living
Room

15,000 RUB

12,000 RUB
52,000 RUB

Dining
Table

6,900 RUB

5,200 RUB
13,000 RUB

Sofa
or Couch

9,500 RUB

6,900 RUB
21,000 RUB

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

10,000 RUB

6,900 RUB
21,000 RUB

Fridge
or Freezer

9,500 RUB

6,100 RUB
13,000 RUB

Washing
Machine

12,000 RUB

8,000 RUB
21,000 RUB

Stove
or Cooker

9,500 RUB

7,400 RUB
13,000 RUB

Mobile
Phone

10,000 RUB

8,700 RUB
15,000 RUB

Laptop
or Computer

12,000 RUB

9,500 RUB
21,000 RUB

How do people spend their money in Russia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Russia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW7,500 RUB
AVERAGE30,000 RUB
HIGH64,000 RUB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,200 RUB
AVERAGE5,000 RUB
HIGH11,000 RUB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW1,700 RUB
AVERAGE6,700 RUB
HIGH14,000 RUB
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW3,300 RUB
AVERAGE13,000 RUB
HIGH28,000 RUB
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,900 RUB
AVERAGE7,500 RUB
HIGH16,000 RUB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,000 RUB
AVERAGE4,200 RUB
HIGH8,800 RUB
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW420 RUB
AVERAGE1,700 RUB
HIGH3,500 RUB
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW3,700 RUB
AVERAGE15,000 RUB
HIGH32,000 RUB
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Russia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW10,000 RUB
AVERAGE52,000 RUB
HIGH82,000 RUB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW1,600 RUB
AVERAGE6,200 RUB
HIGH12,000 RUB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW3,700 RUB
AVERAGE19,000 RUB
HIGH30,000 RUB
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW4,400 RUB
AVERAGE22,000 RUB
HIGH35,000 RUB
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW3,400 RUB
AVERAGE17,000 RUB
HIGH27,000 RUB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW1,900 RUB
AVERAGE9,400 RUB
HIGH15,000 RUB
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW620 RUB
AVERAGE3,100 RUB
HIGH5,000 RUB
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW5,300 RUB
AVERAGE27,000 RUB
HIGH42,000 RUB
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Russia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW23,000 RUB
AVERAGE80,000 RUB
HIGH120,000 RUB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW2,200 RUB
AVERAGE10,000 RUB
HIGH11,000 RUB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW5,800 RUB
AVERAGE20,000 RUB
HIGH30,000 RUB
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW13,000 RUB
AVERAGE45,000 RUB
HIGH67,000 RUB
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW5,800 RUB
AVERAGE20,000 RUB
HIGH30,000 RUB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,600 RUB
AVERAGE12,000 RUB
HIGH19,000 RUB
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW10,000 RUB
AVERAGE35,000 RUB
HIGH52,000 RUB
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW8,700 RUB
AVERAGE30,000 RUB
HIGH45,000 RUB
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Russia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW2,500 RUB
AVERAGE15,000 RUB
HIGH32,000 RUB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW420 RUB
AVERAGE2,500 RUB
HIGH5,400 RUB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW730 RUB
AVERAGE4,400 RUB
HIGH9,500 RUB
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW2,100 RUB
AVERAGE12,000 RUB
HIGH27,000 RUB
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW620 RUB
AVERAGE3,700 RUB
HIGH8,100 RUB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW520 RUB
AVERAGE3,100 RUB
HIGH6,800 RUB
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW2,000 RUB
AVERAGE12,000 RUB
HIGH26,000 RUB
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW1,600 RUB
AVERAGE9,400 RUB
HIGH20,000 RUB
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Russia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 44,000 RUB with expenditure ranging from 11,000 RUB and 75,000 RUB. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Russia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 5,900 RUB with 1,400 RUB and 9,900 RUB being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 3,000 RUB to 21,000 RUB on commuting with 12,000 RUB being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Russia is 23,000 RUB. The cost of groceries can range between 5,700 RUB to 39,000 RUB. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Russia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 2,900 RUB to 20,000 RUB with 12,000 RUB being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 1,800 RUB to 12,000 RUB with 7,300 RUB being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 13,000 RUB per month with 3,300 RUB being the minimum spent amount and 22,000 RUB being the maximum.

©copound