Cost Of Living in Rwanda

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Rwanda

Whether you're living in Rwanda or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
560,000 RWF
average per month
140,000 RWF
Range
1,200,000 RWF

Couple
1,000,000 RWF
average per month
210,000 RWF
Range
1,700,000 RWF

Family
1,700,000 RWF
average per month
490,000 RWF
Range
2,500,000 RWF

Student
420,000 RWF
average per month
69,000 RWF
Range
900,000 RWF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Rwanda is 560,000 RWF. Expenses can range from 140,000 RWF at the minimum level to 1,200,000 RWF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Rwanda is 1,000,000 RWF. Expenditure can range from 210,000 RWF to 1,700,000 RWF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Rwanda is 1,700,000 RWF per month. Families spend anywhere from 490,000 RWF to 2,500,000 RWF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Rwanda is 420,000 RWF. Students spend from 69,000 RWF to 900,000 RWF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Rwanda

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

140 RWF

140 RWF
140 RWF

Fast food
combo meal

1,400 RWF

990 RWF
2,300 RWF

Restaurant
meal for one

4,600 RWF

3,700 RWF
5,800 RWF

Fine dining
meal for one

12,000 RWF

7,700 RWF
14,000 RWF

Soda
Soft Drink

120 RWF

120 RWF
120 RWF

Cappuccino
or latte

930 RWF

580 RWF
1,400 RWF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

690 RWF

580 RWF
770 RWF

Loaf of
bread

99 RWF

87 RWF
120 RWF

12
eggs

690 RWF

580 RWF
870 RWF

Fresh whole
chicken

1,600 RWF

1,300 RWF
2,000 RWF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

1,800 RWF

1,500 RWF
2,300 RWF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

990 RWF

870 RWF
1,200 RWF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

460 RWF

390 RWF
580 RWF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

500 RWF

430 RWF
530 RWF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

480 RWF

420 RWF
530 RWF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

690 RWF

580 RWF
1,400 RWF

Average car
full tank

4,600 RWF

3,500 RWF
9,300 RWF

Average car
1-day rental

4,600 RWF

3,500 RWF
6,900 RWF

Average car
price

3,500,000 RWF

1,700,000 RWF
4,600,000 RWF

Bus ticket
one way

170 RWF

120 RWF
350 RWF

Car
Service

6,900 RWF

4,600 RWF
14,000 RWF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

33,000 RWF

8,300 RWF
71,000 RWF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

42,000 RWF

10,000 RWF
83,000 RWF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

67,000 RWF

15,000 RWF
75,000 RWF

Internet
and cable

6,900 RWF

3,500 RWF
9,300 RWF

Mobile phone
charges

4,600 RWF

2,800 RWF
14,000 RWF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

2,300 RWF

1,700 RWF
3,500 RWF

One month gym
membership

6,900 RWF

5,600 RWF
14,000 RWF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

5,800 RWF

4,100 RWF
8,700 RWF

Woman
dress

5,300 RWF

3,900 RWF
17,000 RWF

Woman
shoes

5,000 RWF

3,700 RWF
12,000 RWF

Men
shoes

3,900 RWF

3,200 RWF
7,700 RWF

Men
suit

4,300 RWF

3,500 RWF
23,000 RWF

Regular
t-shirt

2,300 RWF

1,700 RWF
6,900 RWF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

87,000 RWF

58,000 RWF
230,000 RWF

1-bedroom
apartment

140,000 RWF

87,000 RWF
350,000 RWF

2-bedroom
apartment

170,000 RWF

120,000 RWF
460,000 RWF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

17,000,000 RWF

12,000,000 RWF
35,000,000 RWF

1-bedroom
apartment

23,000,000 RWF

14,000,000 RWF
87,000,000 RWF

2-bedroom
apartment

69,000,000 RWF

23,000,000 RWF
140,000,000 RWF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

87,000 RWF

69,000 RWF
120,000 RWF

Double
Bed

69,000 RWF

46,000 RWF
87,000 RWF

Single
Bed

53,000 RWF

41,000 RWF
69,000 RWF

Living
Room

99,000 RWF

77,000 RWF
350,000 RWF

Dining
Table

46,000 RWF

35,000 RWF
87,000 RWF

Sofa
or Couch

63,000 RWF

46,000 RWF
140,000 RWF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

69,000 RWF

46,000 RWF
140,000 RWF

Fridge
or Freezer

63,000 RWF

41,000 RWF
87,000 RWF

Washing
Machine

77,000 RWF

53,000 RWF
140,000 RWF

Stove
or Cooker

63,000 RWF

50,000 RWF
87,000 RWF

Mobile
Phone

69,000 RWF

58,000 RWF
99,000 RWF

Laptop
or Computer

77,000 RWF

63,000 RWF
140,000 RWF

How do people spend their money in Rwanda?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Rwanda

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW50,000 RWF
AVERAGE200,000 RWF
HIGH430,000 RWF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW8,300 RWF
AVERAGE33,000 RWF
HIGH71,000 RWF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW11,000 RWF
AVERAGE44,000 RWF
HIGH94,000 RWF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW22,000 RWF
AVERAGE89,000 RWF
HIGH190,000 RWF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW13,000 RWF
AVERAGE50,000 RWF
HIGH110,000 RWF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW6,900 RWF
AVERAGE28,000 RWF
HIGH59,000 RWF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,800 RWF
AVERAGE11,000 RWF
HIGH24,000 RWF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW25,000 RWF
AVERAGE100,000 RWF
HIGH210,000 RWF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Rwanda

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW69,000 RWF
AVERAGE340,000 RWF
HIGH550,000 RWF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW10,000 RWF
AVERAGE42,000 RWF
HIGH83,000 RWF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW25,000 RWF
AVERAGE130,000 RWF
HIGH200,000 RWF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW29,000 RWF
AVERAGE150,000 RWF
HIGH230,000 RWF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW23,000 RWF
AVERAGE110,000 RWF
HIGH180,000 RWF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW13,000 RWF
AVERAGE63,000 RWF
HIGH100,000 RWF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW4,200 RWF
AVERAGE21,000 RWF
HIGH33,000 RWF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW35,000 RWF
AVERAGE180,000 RWF
HIGH280,000 RWF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Rwanda

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW160,000 RWF
AVERAGE530,000 RWF
HIGH800,000 RWF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW15,000 RWF
AVERAGE67,000 RWF
HIGH75,000 RWF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW39,000 RWF
AVERAGE130,000 RWF
HIGH200,000 RWF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW88,000 RWF
AVERAGE300,000 RWF
HIGH450,000 RWF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW39,000 RWF
AVERAGE130,000 RWF
HIGH200,000 RWF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW24,000 RWF
AVERAGE83,000 RWF
HIGH130,000 RWF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW68,000 RWF
AVERAGE230,000 RWF
HIGH350,000 RWF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW58,000 RWF
AVERAGE200,000 RWF
HIGH300,000 RWF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Rwanda

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW17,000 RWF
AVERAGE100,000 RWF
HIGH220,000 RWF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW2,800 RWF
AVERAGE17,000 RWF
HIGH36,000 RWF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW4,900 RWF
AVERAGE29,000 RWF
HIGH63,000 RWF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW14,000 RWF
AVERAGE83,000 RWF
HIGH180,000 RWF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW4,200 RWF
AVERAGE25,000 RWF
HIGH54,000 RWF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,500 RWF
AVERAGE21,000 RWF
HIGH45,000 RWF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW13,000 RWF
AVERAGE79,000 RWF
HIGH170,000 RWF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW10,000 RWF
AVERAGE63,000 RWF
HIGH140,000 RWF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Rwanda typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 290,000 RWF with expenditure ranging from 73,000 RWF and 500,000 RWF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Rwanda ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 40,000 RWF with 9,000 RWF and 66,000 RWF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 20,000 RWF to 140,000 RWF on commuting with 83,000 RWF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Rwanda is 150,000 RWF. The cost of groceries can range between 38,000 RWF to 260,000 RWF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Rwanda allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 20,000 RWF to 140,000 RWF with 81,000 RWF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 12,000 RWF to 82,000 RWF with 49,000 RWF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 86,000 RWF per month with 22,000 RWF being the minimum spent amount and 140,000 RWF being the maximum.

Kigali  
©copound