Cost Of Living in Saint Lucia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Saint Lucia

Whether you're living in Saint Lucia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,300 XCD
average per month
570 XCD
Range
4,800 XCD

Couple
4,200 XCD
average per month
850 XCD
Range
6,800 XCD

Family
6,800 XCD
average per month
2,000 XCD
Range
10,000 XCD

Student
1,700 XCD
average per month
280 XCD
Range
3,700 XCD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Saint Lucia is 2,300 XCD. Expenses can range from 570 XCD at the minimum level to 4,800 XCD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Saint Lucia is 4,200 XCD. Expenditure can range from 850 XCD to 6,800 XCD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Saint Lucia is 6,800 XCD per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,000 XCD to 10,000 XCD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Saint Lucia is 1,700 XCD. Students spend from 280 XCD to 3,700 XCD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Saint Lucia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.57 XCD

0.57 XCD
0.57 XCD

Fast food
combo meal

5.7 XCD

4.1 XCD
9.4 XCD

Restaurant
meal for one

19 XCD

15 XCD
24 XCD

Fine dining
meal for one

47 XCD

31 XCD
57 XCD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.47 XCD

0.47 XCD
0.47 XCD

Cappuccino
or latte

3.8 XCD

2.4 XCD
5.7 XCD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2.8 XCD

2.4 XCD
3.2 XCD

Loaf of
bread

0.40 XCD

0.35 XCD
0.47 XCD

12
eggs

2.8 XCD

2.4 XCD
3.5 XCD

Fresh whole
chicken

6.6 XCD

5.2 XCD
8.1 XCD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

7.5 XCD

6.3 XCD
9.4 XCD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

4.1 XCD

3.5 XCD
4.7 XCD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.9 XCD

1.6 XCD
2.4 XCD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.0 XCD

1.8 XCD
2.2 XCD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.0 XCD

1.7 XCD
2.2 XCD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2.8 XCD

2.4 XCD
5.7 XCD

Average car
full tank

19 XCD

14 XCD
38 XCD

Average car
1-day rental

19 XCD

14 XCD
28 XCD

Average car
price

14,000 XCD

7,100 XCD
19,000 XCD

Bus ticket
one way

0.71 XCD

0.47 XCD
1.4 XCD

Car
Service

28 XCD

19 XCD
57 XCD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

140 XCD

34 XCD
290 XCD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

170 XCD

42 XCD
340 XCD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

270 XCD

59 XCD
310 XCD

Internet
and cable

28 XCD

14 XCD
38 XCD

Mobile phone
charges

19 XCD

11 XCD
57 XCD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

9.4 XCD

7.1 XCD
14 XCD

One month gym
membership

28 XCD

23 XCD
57 XCD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

24 XCD

17 XCD
35 XCD

Woman
dress

22 XCD

16 XCD
71 XCD

Woman
shoes

20 XCD

15 XCD
47 XCD

Men
shoes

16 XCD

13 XCD
31 XCD

Men
suit

18 XCD

14 XCD
94 XCD

Regular
t-shirt

9.4 XCD

7.1 XCD
28 XCD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

350 XCD

240 XCD
940 XCD

1-bedroom
apartment

570 XCD

350 XCD
1,400 XCD

2-bedroom
apartment

710 XCD

470 XCD
1,900 XCD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

71,000 XCD

47,000 XCD
140,000 XCD

1-bedroom
apartment

94,000 XCD

57,000 XCD
350,000 XCD

2-bedroom
apartment

280,000 XCD

94,000 XCD
570,000 XCD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

350 XCD

280 XCD
470 XCD

Double
Bed

280 XCD

190 XCD
350 XCD

Single
Bed

220 XCD

170 XCD
280 XCD

Living
Room

400 XCD

310 XCD
1,400 XCD

Dining
Table

190 XCD

140 XCD
350 XCD

Sofa
or Couch

260 XCD

190 XCD
570 XCD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

280 XCD

190 XCD
570 XCD

Fridge
or Freezer

260 XCD

170 XCD
350 XCD

Washing
Machine

310 XCD

220 XCD
570 XCD

Stove
or Cooker

260 XCD

200 XCD
350 XCD

Mobile
Phone

280 XCD

240 XCD
400 XCD

Laptop
or Computer

310 XCD

260 XCD
570 XCD

How do people spend their money in Saint Lucia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Saint Lucia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW200 XCD
AVERAGE820 XCD
HIGH1,700 XCD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW34 XCD
AVERAGE140 XCD
HIGH290 XCD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW45 XCD
AVERAGE180 XCD
HIGH390 XCD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW91 XCD
AVERAGE360 XCD
HIGH770 XCD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW51 XCD
AVERAGE200 XCD
HIGH430 XCD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW28 XCD
AVERAGE110 XCD
HIGH240 XCD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW11 XCD
AVERAGE45 XCD
HIGH96 XCD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW100 XCD
AVERAGE410 XCD
HIGH870 XCD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Saint Lucia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW280 XCD
AVERAGE1,400 XCD
HIGH2,200 XCD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW42 XCD
AVERAGE170 XCD
HIGH340 XCD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW100 XCD
AVERAGE510 XCD
HIGH820 XCD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW120 XCD
AVERAGE590 XCD
HIGH950 XCD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW93 XCD
AVERAGE470 XCD
HIGH750 XCD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW51 XCD
AVERAGE250 XCD
HIGH410 XCD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW17 XCD
AVERAGE85 XCD
HIGH140 XCD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW140 XCD
AVERAGE720 XCD
HIGH1,200 XCD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Saint Lucia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW630 XCD
AVERAGE2,200 XCD
HIGH3,300 XCD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW59 XCD
AVERAGE270 XCD
HIGH310 XCD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW160 XCD
AVERAGE540 XCD
HIGH820 XCD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW360 XCD
AVERAGE1,200 XCD
HIGH1,800 XCD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW160 XCD
AVERAGE540 XCD
HIGH820 XCD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW99 XCD
AVERAGE340 XCD
HIGH510 XCD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW280 XCD
AVERAGE950 XCD
HIGH1,400 XCD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW240 XCD
AVERAGE820 XCD
HIGH1,200 XCD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Saint Lucia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW68 XCD
AVERAGE410 XCD
HIGH880 XCD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW11 XCD
AVERAGE68 XCD
HIGH150 XCD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW20 XCD
AVERAGE120 XCD
HIGH260 XCD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW57 XCD
AVERAGE340 XCD
HIGH740 XCD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW17 XCD
AVERAGE100 XCD
HIGH220 XCD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW14 XCD
AVERAGE85 XCD
HIGH180 XCD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW54 XCD
AVERAGE320 XCD
HIGH700 XCD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW42 XCD
AVERAGE250 XCD
HIGH550 XCD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Saint Lucia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,200 XCD with expenditure ranging from 300 XCD and 2,000 XCD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Saint Lucia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 160 XCD with 37 XCD and 270 XCD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 81 XCD to 570 XCD on commuting with 340 XCD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Saint Lucia is 630 XCD. The cost of groceries can range between 160 XCD to 1,100 XCD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Saint Lucia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 80 XCD to 550 XCD with 330 XCD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 48 XCD to 340 XCD with 200 XCD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 350 XCD per month with 90 XCD being the minimum spent amount and 590 XCD being the maximum.

©copound