Cost Of Living in Saint Martin

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Saint Martin

Whether you're living in Saint Martin or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,600 EUR
average per month
660 EUR
Range
5,600 EUR

Couple
4,900 EUR
average per month
990 EUR
Range
7,900 EUR

Family
7,900 EUR
average per month
2,300 EUR
Range
12,000 EUR

Student
2,000 EUR
average per month
330 EUR
Range
4,300 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Saint Martin is 2,600 EUR. Expenses can range from 660 EUR at the minimum level to 5,600 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Saint Martin is 4,900 EUR. Expenditure can range from 990 EUR to 7,900 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Saint Martin is 7,900 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,300 EUR to 12,000 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Saint Martin is 2,000 EUR. Students spend from 330 EUR to 4,300 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Saint Martin

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.66 EUR

0.66 EUR
0.66 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

6.6 EUR

4.7 EUR
11 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

22 EUR

17 EUR
27 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

55 EUR

37 EUR
66 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.55 EUR

0.55 EUR
0.55 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

4.4 EUR

2.7 EUR
6.6 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.3 EUR

2.7 EUR
3.7 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.47 EUR

0.41 EUR
0.55 EUR

12
eggs

3.3 EUR

2.7 EUR
4.1 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

7.7 EUR

6.0 EUR
9.4 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

8.7 EUR

7.3 EUR
11 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

4.7 EUR

4.1 EUR
5.5 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.2 EUR

1.8 EUR
2.7 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.4 EUR

2.1 EUR
2.5 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.3 EUR

2.0 EUR
2.5 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.3 EUR

2.7 EUR
6.6 EUR

Average car
full tank

22 EUR

16 EUR
44 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

22 EUR

16 EUR
33 EUR

Average car
price

16,000 EUR

8,200 EUR
22,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

0.82 EUR

0.55 EUR
1.6 EUR

Car
Service

33 EUR

22 EUR
66 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

160 EUR

39 EUR
340 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

200 EUR

49 EUR
390 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

320 EUR

69 EUR
360 EUR

Internet
and cable

33 EUR

16 EUR
44 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

22 EUR

13 EUR
66 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

11 EUR

8.2 EUR
16 EUR

One month gym
membership

33 EUR

26 EUR
66 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

27 EUR

19 EUR
41 EUR

Woman
dress

25 EUR

18 EUR
82 EUR

Woman
shoes

23 EUR

17 EUR
55 EUR

Men
shoes

18 EUR

15 EUR
37 EUR

Men
suit

21 EUR

16 EUR
110 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

11 EUR

8.2 EUR
33 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

410 EUR

270 EUR
1,100 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

660 EUR

410 EUR
1,600 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

820 EUR

550 EUR
2,200 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

82,000 EUR

55,000 EUR
160,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

110,000 EUR

66,000 EUR
410,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

330,000 EUR

110,000 EUR
660,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

410 EUR

330 EUR
550 EUR

Double
Bed

330 EUR

220 EUR
410 EUR

Single
Bed

250 EUR

190 EUR
330 EUR

Living
Room

470 EUR

370 EUR
1,600 EUR

Dining
Table

220 EUR

160 EUR
410 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

300 EUR

220 EUR
660 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

330 EUR

220 EUR
660 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

300 EUR

190 EUR
410 EUR

Washing
Machine

370 EUR

250 EUR
660 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

300 EUR

230 EUR
410 EUR

Mobile
Phone

330 EUR

270 EUR
470 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

370 EUR

300 EUR
660 EUR

How do people spend their money in Saint Martin?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Saint Martin

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW240 EUR
AVERAGE950 EUR
HIGH2,000 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW39 EUR
AVERAGE160 EUR
HIGH340 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW53 EUR
AVERAGE210 EUR
HIGH450 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE420 EUR
HIGH890 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW59 EUR
AVERAGE240 EUR
HIGH500 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW33 EUR
AVERAGE130 EUR
HIGH280 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW13 EUR
AVERAGE53 EUR
HIGH110 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE470 EUR
HIGH1,000 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Saint Martin

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW330 EUR
AVERAGE1,600 EUR
HIGH2,600 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW49 EUR
AVERAGE200 EUR
HIGH390 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE590 EUR
HIGH950 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW140 EUR
AVERAGE690 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE540 EUR
HIGH870 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW59 EUR
AVERAGE300 EUR
HIGH470 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW20 EUR
AVERAGE99 EUR
HIGH160 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW170 EUR
AVERAGE840 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Saint Martin

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW740 EUR
AVERAGE2,500 EUR
HIGH3,800 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW69 EUR
AVERAGE320 EUR
HIGH360 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW180 EUR
AVERAGE630 EUR
HIGH950 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW410 EUR
AVERAGE1,400 EUR
HIGH2,100 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW180 EUR
AVERAGE630 EUR
HIGH950 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE390 EUR
HIGH590 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW320 EUR
AVERAGE1,100 EUR
HIGH1,700 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW280 EUR
AVERAGE950 EUR
HIGH1,400 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Saint Martin

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW79 EUR
AVERAGE470 EUR
HIGH1,000 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW13 EUR
AVERAGE79 EUR
HIGH170 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW23 EUR
AVERAGE140 EUR
HIGH300 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW66 EUR
AVERAGE390 EUR
HIGH850 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW20 EUR
AVERAGE120 EUR
HIGH260 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW16 EUR
AVERAGE99 EUR
HIGH210 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW62 EUR
AVERAGE370 EUR
HIGH810 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW49 EUR
AVERAGE300 EUR
HIGH640 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Saint Martin typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,400 EUR with expenditure ranging from 340 EUR and 2,400 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Saint Martin ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 190 EUR with 43 EUR and 310 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 95 EUR to 660 EUR on commuting with 390 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Saint Martin is 730 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 180 EUR to 1,200 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Saint Martin allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 93 EUR to 640 EUR with 380 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 56 EUR to 390 EUR with 230 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 410 EUR per month with 100 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 680 EUR being the maximum.

©copound