Cost Of Living in Samoa

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Samoa

Whether you're living in Samoa or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,000 WST
average per month
490 WST
Range
4,200 WST

Couple
3,700 WST
average per month
740 WST
Range
5,900 WST

Family
5,900 WST
average per month
1,700 WST
Range
8,800 WST

Student
1,500 WST
average per month
250 WST
Range
3,200 WST
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Samoa is 2,000 WST. Expenses can range from 490 WST at the minimum level to 4,200 WST at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Samoa is 3,700 WST. Expenditure can range from 740 WST to 5,900 WST per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Samoa is 5,900 WST per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,700 WST to 8,800 WST.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Samoa is 1,500 WST. Students spend from 250 WST to 3,200 WST per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Samoa

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.49 WST

0.49 WST
0.49 WST

Fast food
combo meal

4.9 WST

3.5 WST
8.2 WST

Restaurant
meal for one

16 WST

13 WST
20 WST

Fine dining
meal for one

41 WST

27 WST
49 WST

Soda
Soft Drink

0.41 WST

0.41 WST
0.41 WST

Cappuccino
or latte

3.3 WST

2.0 WST
4.9 WST

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2.5 WST

2.0 WST
2.7 WST

Loaf of
bread

0.35 WST

0.31 WST
0.41 WST

12
eggs

2.5 WST

2.0 WST
3.1 WST

Fresh whole
chicken

5.7 WST

4.5 WST
7.0 WST

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

6.5 WST

5.4 WST
8.2 WST

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

3.5 WST

3.1 WST
4.1 WST

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.6 WST

1.4 WST
2.0 WST

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.8 WST

1.5 WST
1.9 WST

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.7 WST

1.5 WST
1.9 WST

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2.5 WST

2.0 WST
4.9 WST

Average car
full tank

16 WST

12 WST
33 WST

Average car
1-day rental

16 WST

12 WST
25 WST

Average car
price

12,000 WST

6,100 WST
16,000 WST

Bus ticket
one way

0.61 WST

0.41 WST
1.2 WST

Car
Service

25 WST

16 WST
49 WST

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

120 WST

29 WST
250 WST

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

150 WST

37 WST
290 WST

Electricity
and water bill
Family

240 WST

51 WST
260 WST

Internet
and cable

25 WST

12 WST
33 WST

Mobile phone
charges

16 WST

9.8 WST
49 WST

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

8.2 WST

6.1 WST
12 WST

One month gym
membership

25 WST

20 WST
49 WST

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

20 WST

14 WST
31 WST

Woman
dress

19 WST

14 WST
61 WST

Woman
shoes

18 WST

13 WST
41 WST

Men
shoes

14 WST

11 WST
27 WST

Men
suit

15 WST

12 WST
82 WST

Regular
t-shirt

8.2 WST

6.1 WST
25 WST

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

310 WST

200 WST
820 WST

1-bedroom
apartment

490 WST

310 WST
1,200 WST

2-bedroom
apartment

610 WST

410 WST
1,600 WST

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

61,000 WST

41,000 WST
120,000 WST

1-bedroom
apartment

82,000 WST

49,000 WST
310,000 WST

2-bedroom
apartment

250,000 WST

82,000 WST
490,000 WST

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

310 WST

250 WST
410 WST

Double
Bed

250 WST

160 WST
310 WST

Single
Bed

190 WST

140 WST
250 WST

Living
Room

350 WST

270 WST
1,200 WST

Dining
Table

160 WST

120 WST
310 WST

Sofa
or Couch

220 WST

160 WST
490 WST

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

250 WST

160 WST
490 WST

Fridge
or Freezer

220 WST

140 WST
310 WST

Washing
Machine

270 WST

190 WST
490 WST

Stove
or Cooker

220 WST

180 WST
310 WST

Mobile
Phone

250 WST

200 WST
350 WST

Laptop
or Computer

270 WST

220 WST
490 WST

How do people spend their money in Samoa?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Samoa

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW180 WST
AVERAGE710 WST
HIGH1,500 WST
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW29 WST
AVERAGE120 WST
HIGH250 WST
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW39 WST
AVERAGE160 WST
HIGH330 WST
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW78 WST
AVERAGE310 WST
HIGH670 WST
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW44 WST
AVERAGE180 WST
HIGH370 WST
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW25 WST
AVERAGE98 WST
HIGH210 WST
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW9.8 WST
AVERAGE39 WST
HIGH83 WST
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW88 WST
AVERAGE350 WST
HIGH750 WST
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Samoa

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW240 WST
AVERAGE1,200 WST
HIGH1,900 WST
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW37 WST
AVERAGE150 WST
HIGH290 WST
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW88 WST
AVERAGE440 WST
HIGH710 WST
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW100 WST
AVERAGE510 WST
HIGH820 WST
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW81 WST
AVERAGE400 WST
HIGH650 WST
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW44 WST
AVERAGE220 WST
HIGH350 WST
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW15 WST
AVERAGE74 WST
HIGH120 WST
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW120 WST
AVERAGE620 WST
HIGH1,000 WST
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Samoa

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW550 WST
AVERAGE1,900 WST
HIGH2,800 WST
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW51 WST
AVERAGE240 WST
HIGH260 WST
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW140 WST
AVERAGE470 WST
HIGH710 WST
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW310 WST
AVERAGE1,100 WST
HIGH1,600 WST
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW140 WST
AVERAGE470 WST
HIGH710 WST
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW86 WST
AVERAGE290 WST
HIGH440 WST
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW240 WST
AVERAGE820 WST
HIGH1,200 WST
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW210 WST
AVERAGE710 WST
HIGH1,100 WST
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Samoa

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW59 WST
AVERAGE350 WST
HIGH760 WST
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW9.8 WST
AVERAGE59 WST
HIGH130 WST
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW17 WST
AVERAGE100 WST
HIGH220 WST
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW49 WST
AVERAGE290 WST
HIGH640 WST
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW15 WST
AVERAGE88 WST
HIGH190 WST
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW12 WST
AVERAGE74 WST
HIGH160 WST
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW47 WST
AVERAGE280 WST
HIGH610 WST
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW37 WST
AVERAGE220 WST
HIGH480 WST
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Samoa typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,000 WST with expenditure ranging from 260 WST and 1,800 WST. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Samoa ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 140 WST with 32 WST and 230 WST being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 70 WST to 490 WST on commuting with 290 WST being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Samoa is 550 WST. The cost of groceries can range between 130 WST to 930 WST. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Samoa allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 69 WST to 480 WST with 280 WST being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 42 WST to 290 WST with 170 WST being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 300 WST per month with 78 WST being the minimum spent amount and 510 WST being the maximum.

©copound