Cost Of Living in Sao Tome and Principe

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Sao Tome and Principe

Whether you're living in Sao Tome and Principe or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
5,600,000 STD
average per month
1,400,000 STD
Range
12,000,000 STD

Couple
11,000,000 STD
average per month
2,100,000 STD
Range
17,000,000 STD

Family
17,000,000 STD
average per month
4,900,000 STD
Range
25,000,000 STD

Student
4,200,000 STD
average per month
700,000 STD
Range
9,100,000 STD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Sao Tome and Principe is 5,600,000 STD. Expenses can range from 1,400,000 STD at the minimum level to 12,000,000 STD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Sao Tome and Principe is 11,000,000 STD. Expenditure can range from 2,100,000 STD to 17,000,000 STD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Sao Tome and Principe is 17,000,000 STD per month. Families spend anywhere from 4,900,000 STD to 25,000,000 STD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Sao Tome and Principe is 4,200,000 STD. Students spend from 700,000 STD to 9,100,000 STD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Sao Tome and Principe

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1,400 STD

1,400 STD
1,400 STD

Fast food
combo meal

14,000 STD

10,000 STD
23,000 STD

Restaurant
meal for one

47,000 STD

37,000 STD
58,000 STD

Fine dining
meal for one

120,000 STD

78,000 STD
140,000 STD

Soda
Soft Drink

1,200 STD

1,200 STD
1,200 STD

Cappuccino
or latte

9,400 STD

5,800 STD
14,000 STD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

7,000 STD

5,800 STD
7,800 STD

Loaf of
bread

1,000 STD

880 STD
1,200 STD

12
eggs

7,000 STD

5,800 STD
8,800 STD

Fresh whole
chicken

16,000 STD

13,000 STD
20,000 STD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

18,000 STD

16,000 STD
23,000 STD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

10,000 STD

8,800 STD
12,000 STD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

4,700 STD

3,900 STD
5,800 STD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

5,000 STD

4,400 STD
5,400 STD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

4,800 STD

4,300 STD
5,400 STD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

7,000 STD

5,800 STD
14,000 STD

Average car
full tank

47,000 STD

35,000 STD
94,000 STD

Average car
1-day rental

47,000 STD

35,000 STD
70,000 STD

Average car
price

35,000,000 STD

18,000,000 STD
47,000,000 STD

Bus ticket
one way

1,800 STD

1,200 STD
3,500 STD

Car
Service

70,000 STD

47,000 STD
140,000 STD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

340,000 STD

84,000 STD
720,000 STD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

420,000 STD

110,000 STD
840,000 STD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

670,000 STD

150,000 STD
760,000 STD

Internet
and cable

70,000 STD

35,000 STD
94,000 STD

Mobile phone
charges

47,000 STD

28,000 STD
140,000 STD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

23,000 STD

18,000 STD
35,000 STD

One month gym
membership

70,000 STD

56,000 STD
140,000 STD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

58,000 STD

41,000 STD
88,000 STD

Woman
dress

54,000 STD

39,000 STD
180,000 STD

Woman
shoes

50,000 STD

37,000 STD
120,000 STD

Men
shoes

39,000 STD

32,000 STD
78,000 STD

Men
suit

44,000 STD

35,000 STD
230,000 STD

Regular
t-shirt

23,000 STD

18,000 STD
70,000 STD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

880,000 STD

580,000 STD
2,300,000 STD

1-bedroom
apartment

1,400,000 STD

880,000 STD
3,500,000 STD

2-bedroom
apartment

1,800,000 STD

1,200,000 STD
4,700,000 STD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

180,000,000 STD

120,000,000 STD
350,000,000 STD

1-bedroom
apartment

230,000,000 STD

140,000,000 STD
880,000,000 STD

2-bedroom
apartment

700,000,000 STD

230,000,000 STD
1,400,000,000 STD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

880,000 STD

700,000 STD
1,200,000 STD

Double
Bed

700,000 STD

470,000 STD
880,000 STD

Single
Bed

540,000 STD

410,000 STD
700,000 STD

Living
Room

1,000,000 STD

780,000 STD
3,500,000 STD

Dining
Table

470,000 STD

350,000 STD
880,000 STD

Sofa
or Couch

640,000 STD

470,000 STD
1,400,000 STD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

700,000 STD

470,000 STD
1,400,000 STD

Fridge
or Freezer

640,000 STD

410,000 STD
880,000 STD

Washing
Machine

780,000 STD

540,000 STD
1,400,000 STD

Stove
or Cooker

640,000 STD

500,000 STD
880,000 STD

Mobile
Phone

700,000 STD

580,000 STD
1,000,000 STD

Laptop
or Computer

780,000 STD

640,000 STD
1,400,000 STD

How do people spend their money in Sao Tome and Principe?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Sao Tome and Principe

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW510,000 STD
AVERAGE2,000,000 STD
HIGH4,300,000 STD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW84,000 STD
AVERAGE340,000 STD
HIGH720,000 STD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW110,000 STD
AVERAGE450,000 STD
HIGH950,000 STD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW220,000 STD
AVERAGE900,000 STD
HIGH1,900,000 STD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW130,000 STD
AVERAGE510,000 STD
HIGH1,100,000 STD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW70,000 STD
AVERAGE280,000 STD
HIGH600,000 STD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW28,000 STD
AVERAGE110,000 STD
HIGH240,000 STD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW250,000 STD
AVERAGE1,000,000 STD
HIGH2,100,000 STD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Sao Tome and Principe

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW690,000 STD
AVERAGE3,500,000 STD
HIGH5,600,000 STD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW110,000 STD
AVERAGE420,000 STD
HIGH840,000 STD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW250,000 STD
AVERAGE1,300,000 STD
HIGH2,000,000 STD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW290,000 STD
AVERAGE1,500,000 STD
HIGH2,400,000 STD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW230,000 STD
AVERAGE1,200,000 STD
HIGH1,900,000 STD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW130,000 STD
AVERAGE630,000 STD
HIGH1,000,000 STD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW42,000 STD
AVERAGE210,000 STD
HIGH340,000 STD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW360,000 STD
AVERAGE1,800,000 STD
HIGH2,900,000 STD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Sao Tome and Principe

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,600,000 STD
AVERAGE5,400,000 STD
HIGH8,100,000 STD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW150,000 STD
AVERAGE670,000 STD
HIGH760,000 STD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW390,000 STD
AVERAGE1,300,000 STD
HIGH2,000,000 STD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW880,000 STD
AVERAGE3,000,000 STD
HIGH4,500,000 STD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW390,000 STD
AVERAGE1,300,000 STD
HIGH2,000,000 STD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW250,000 STD
AVERAGE840,000 STD
HIGH1,300,000 STD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW690,000 STD
AVERAGE2,400,000 STD
HIGH3,500,000 STD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW590,000 STD
AVERAGE2,000,000 STD
HIGH3,000,000 STD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Sao Tome and Principe

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW170,000 STD
AVERAGE1,000,000 STD
HIGH2,200,000 STD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW28,000 STD
AVERAGE170,000 STD
HIGH360,000 STD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW49,000 STD
AVERAGE290,000 STD
HIGH640,000 STD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW140,000 STD
AVERAGE840,000 STD
HIGH1,800,000 STD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW42,000 STD
AVERAGE250,000 STD
HIGH550,000 STD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW35,000 STD
AVERAGE210,000 STD
HIGH460,000 STD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW130,000 STD
AVERAGE800,000 STD
HIGH1,700,000 STD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW110,000 STD
AVERAGE630,000 STD
HIGH1,400,000 STD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Sao Tome and Principe typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,000,000 STD with expenditure ranging from 730,000 STD and 5,000,000 STD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Sao Tome and Principe ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 400,000 STD with 91,000 STD and 670,000 STD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 200,000 STD to 1,400,000 STD on commuting with 840,000 STD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Sao Tome and Principe is 1,600,000 STD. The cost of groceries can range between 390,000 STD to 2,700,000 STD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Sao Tome and Principe allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 200,000 STD to 1,400,000 STD with 820,000 STD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 120,000 STD to 830,000 STD with 490,000 STD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 870,000 STD per month with 220,000 STD being the minimum spent amount and 1,500,000 STD being the maximum.

©copound