Cost Of Living in Saudi Arabia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Saudi Arabia

Whether you're living in Saudi Arabia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
13,000 SAR
average per month
3,400 SAR
Range
28,000 SAR

Couple
25,000 SAR
average per month
5,000 SAR
Range
40,000 SAR

Family
40,000 SAR
average per month
12,000 SAR
Range
60,000 SAR

Student
10,000 SAR
average per month
1,700 SAR
Range
22,000 SAR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Saudi Arabia is 13,000 SAR. Expenses can range from 3,400 SAR at the minimum level to 28,000 SAR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Saudi Arabia is 25,000 SAR. Expenditure can range from 5,000 SAR to 40,000 SAR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Saudi Arabia is 40,000 SAR per month. Families spend anywhere from 12,000 SAR to 60,000 SAR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Saudi Arabia is 10,000 SAR. Students spend from 1,700 SAR to 22,000 SAR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Saudi Arabia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

3.4 SAR

3.4 SAR
3.4 SAR

Fast food
combo meal

34 SAR

24 SAR
56 SAR

Restaurant
meal for one

110 SAR

88 SAR
140 SAR

Fine dining
meal for one

280 SAR

190 SAR
340 SAR

Soda
Soft Drink

2.8 SAR

2.8 SAR
2.8 SAR

Cappuccino
or latte

22 SAR

14 SAR
34 SAR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

17 SAR

14 SAR
19 SAR

Loaf of
bread

2.4 SAR

2.1 SAR
2.8 SAR

12
eggs

17 SAR

14 SAR
21 SAR

Fresh whole
chicken

39 SAR

30 SAR
48 SAR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

44 SAR

37 SAR
56 SAR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

24 SAR

21 SAR
28 SAR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

11 SAR

9.3 SAR
14 SAR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

12 SAR

10 SAR
13 SAR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

12 SAR

10 SAR
13 SAR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

17 SAR

14 SAR
34 SAR

Average car
full tank

110 SAR

84 SAR
220 SAR

Average car
1-day rental

110 SAR

84 SAR
170 SAR

Average car
price

84,000 SAR

42,000 SAR
110,000 SAR

Bus ticket
one way

4.2 SAR

2.8 SAR
8.4 SAR

Car
Service

170 SAR

110 SAR
340 SAR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

800 SAR

200 SAR
1,700 SAR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,000 SAR

250 SAR
2,000 SAR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,600 SAR

350 SAR
1,800 SAR

Internet
and cable

170 SAR

84 SAR
220 SAR

Mobile phone
charges

110 SAR

67 SAR
340 SAR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

56 SAR

42 SAR
84 SAR

One month gym
membership

170 SAR

130 SAR
340 SAR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

140 SAR

99 SAR
210 SAR

Woman
dress

130 SAR

93 SAR
420 SAR

Woman
shoes

120 SAR

88 SAR
280 SAR

Men
shoes

93 SAR

76 SAR
190 SAR

Men
suit

100 SAR

84 SAR
560 SAR

Regular
t-shirt

56 SAR

42 SAR
170 SAR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

2,100 SAR

1,400 SAR
5,600 SAR

1-bedroom
apartment

3,400 SAR

2,100 SAR
8,400 SAR

2-bedroom
apartment

4,200 SAR

2,800 SAR
11,000 SAR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

420,000 SAR

280,000 SAR
840,000 SAR

1-bedroom
apartment

560,000 SAR

340,000 SAR
2,100,000 SAR

2-bedroom
apartment

1,700,000 SAR

560,000 SAR
3,400,000 SAR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

2,100 SAR

1,700 SAR
2,800 SAR

Double
Bed

1,700 SAR

1,100 SAR
2,100 SAR

Single
Bed

1,300 SAR

990 SAR
1,700 SAR

Living
Room

2,400 SAR

1,900 SAR
8,400 SAR

Dining
Table

1,100 SAR

840 SAR
2,100 SAR

Sofa
or Couch

1,500 SAR

1,100 SAR
3,400 SAR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,700 SAR

1,100 SAR
3,400 SAR

Fridge
or Freezer

1,500 SAR

990 SAR
2,100 SAR

Washing
Machine

1,900 SAR

1,300 SAR
3,400 SAR

Stove
or Cooker

1,500 SAR

1,200 SAR
2,100 SAR

Mobile
Phone

1,700 SAR

1,400 SAR
2,400 SAR

Laptop
or Computer

1,900 SAR

1,500 SAR
3,400 SAR

How do people spend their money in Saudi Arabia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Saudi Arabia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,200 SAR
AVERAGE4,800 SAR
HIGH10,000 SAR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW200 SAR
AVERAGE800 SAR
HIGH1,700 SAR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW270 SAR
AVERAGE1,100 SAR
HIGH2,300 SAR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW540 SAR
AVERAGE2,100 SAR
HIGH4,600 SAR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW300 SAR
AVERAGE1,200 SAR
HIGH2,600 SAR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW170 SAR
AVERAGE670 SAR
HIGH1,400 SAR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW67 SAR
AVERAGE270 SAR
HIGH570 SAR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW600 SAR
AVERAGE2,400 SAR
HIGH5,100 SAR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Saudi Arabia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,700 SAR
AVERAGE8,300 SAR
HIGH13,000 SAR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW250 SAR
AVERAGE1,000 SAR
HIGH2,000 SAR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW600 SAR
AVERAGE3,000 SAR
HIGH4,800 SAR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW700 SAR
AVERAGE3,500 SAR
HIGH5,600 SAR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW550 SAR
AVERAGE2,800 SAR
HIGH4,400 SAR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW300 SAR
AVERAGE1,500 SAR
HIGH2,400 SAR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW100 SAR
AVERAGE500 SAR
HIGH800 SAR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW850 SAR
AVERAGE4,300 SAR
HIGH6,800 SAR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Saudi Arabia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW3,800 SAR
AVERAGE13,000 SAR
HIGH19,000 SAR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW350 SAR
AVERAGE1,600 SAR
HIGH1,800 SAR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW940 SAR
AVERAGE3,200 SAR
HIGH4,800 SAR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW2,100 SAR
AVERAGE7,200 SAR
HIGH11,000 SAR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW940 SAR
AVERAGE3,200 SAR
HIGH4,800 SAR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW590 SAR
AVERAGE2,000 SAR
HIGH3,000 SAR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,600 SAR
AVERAGE5,600 SAR
HIGH8,400 SAR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,400 SAR
AVERAGE4,800 SAR
HIGH7,200 SAR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Saudi Arabia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW400 SAR
AVERAGE2,400 SAR
HIGH5,200 SAR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW67 SAR
AVERAGE400 SAR
HIGH870 SAR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW120 SAR
AVERAGE700 SAR
HIGH1,500 SAR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW340 SAR
AVERAGE2,000 SAR
HIGH4,400 SAR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW100 SAR
AVERAGE600 SAR
HIGH1,300 SAR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW84 SAR
AVERAGE500 SAR
HIGH1,100 SAR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW320 SAR
AVERAGE1,900 SAR
HIGH4,100 SAR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW250 SAR
AVERAGE1,500 SAR
HIGH3,300 SAR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Saudi Arabia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 7,100 SAR with expenditure ranging from 1,800 SAR and 12,000 SAR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Saudi Arabia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 960 SAR with 220 SAR and 1,600 SAR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 480 SAR to 3,400 SAR on commuting with 2,000 SAR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Saudi Arabia is 3,700 SAR. The cost of groceries can range between 920 SAR to 6,400 SAR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Saudi Arabia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 470 SAR to 3,300 SAR with 1,900 SAR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 280 SAR to 2,000 SAR with 1,200 SAR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 2,100 SAR per month with 530 SAR being the minimum spent amount and 3,500 SAR being the maximum.

Riyadh   Jeddah   Mecca   Medina   Dammam   Taif   Tabuk   Abha   Khubar  
©copound