Cost Of Living in Senegal

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Senegal

Whether you're living in Senegal or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
280,000 XOF
average per month
70,000 XOF
Range
600,000 XOF

Couple
530,000 XOF
average per month
110,000 XOF
Range
840,000 XOF

Family
840,000 XOF
average per month
250,000 XOF
Range
1,300,000 XOF

Student
210,000 XOF
average per month
35,000 XOF
Range
460,000 XOF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Senegal is 280,000 XOF. Expenses can range from 70,000 XOF at the minimum level to 600,000 XOF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Senegal is 530,000 XOF. Expenditure can range from 110,000 XOF to 840,000 XOF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Senegal is 840,000 XOF per month. Families spend anywhere from 250,000 XOF to 1,300,000 XOF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Senegal is 210,000 XOF. Students spend from 35,000 XOF to 460,000 XOF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Senegal

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

70 XOF

70 XOF
70 XOF

Fast food
combo meal

700 XOF

500 XOF
1,200 XOF

Restaurant
meal for one

2,300 XOF

1,800 XOF
2,900 XOF

Fine dining
meal for one

5,900 XOF

3,900 XOF
7,000 XOF

Soda
Soft Drink

59 XOF

59 XOF
59 XOF

Cappuccino
or latte

470 XOF

290 XOF
700 XOF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

350 XOF

290 XOF
390 XOF

Loaf of
bread

50 XOF

44 XOF
59 XOF

12
eggs

350 XOF

290 XOF
440 XOF

Fresh whole
chicken

820 XOF

640 XOF
1,000 XOF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

920 XOF

780 XOF
1,200 XOF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

500 XOF

440 XOF
590 XOF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

230 XOF

200 XOF
290 XOF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

250 XOF

220 XOF
270 XOF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

240 XOF

210 XOF
270 XOF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

350 XOF

290 XOF
700 XOF

Average car
full tank

2,300 XOF

1,800 XOF
4,700 XOF

Average car
1-day rental

2,300 XOF

1,800 XOF
3,500 XOF

Average car
price

1,800,000 XOF

880,000 XOF
2,300,000 XOF

Bus ticket
one way

88 XOF

59 XOF
180 XOF

Car
Service

3,500 XOF

2,300 XOF
7,000 XOF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

17,000 XOF

4,200 XOF
36,000 XOF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

21,000 XOF

5,300 XOF
42,000 XOF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

34,000 XOF

7,400 XOF
38,000 XOF

Internet
and cable

3,500 XOF

1,800 XOF
4,700 XOF

Mobile phone
charges

2,300 XOF

1,400 XOF
7,000 XOF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

1,200 XOF

880 XOF
1,800 XOF

One month gym
membership

3,500 XOF

2,800 XOF
7,000 XOF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

2,900 XOF

2,100 XOF
4,400 XOF

Woman
dress

2,700 XOF

2,000 XOF
8,800 XOF

Woman
shoes

2,500 XOF

1,800 XOF
5,900 XOF

Men
shoes

2,000 XOF

1,600 XOF
3,900 XOF

Men
suit

2,200 XOF

1,800 XOF
12,000 XOF

Regular
t-shirt

1,200 XOF

880 XOF
3,500 XOF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

44,000 XOF

29,000 XOF
120,000 XOF

1-bedroom
apartment

70,000 XOF

44,000 XOF
180,000 XOF

2-bedroom
apartment

88,000 XOF

59,000 XOF
230,000 XOF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

8,800,000 XOF

5,900,000 XOF
18,000,000 XOF

1-bedroom
apartment

12,000,000 XOF

7,000,000 XOF
44,000,000 XOF

2-bedroom
apartment

35,000,000 XOF

12,000,000 XOF
70,000,000 XOF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

44,000 XOF

35,000 XOF
59,000 XOF

Double
Bed

35,000 XOF

23,000 XOF
44,000 XOF

Single
Bed

27,000 XOF

21,000 XOF
35,000 XOF

Living
Room

50,000 XOF

39,000 XOF
180,000 XOF

Dining
Table

23,000 XOF

18,000 XOF
44,000 XOF

Sofa
or Couch

32,000 XOF

23,000 XOF
70,000 XOF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

35,000 XOF

23,000 XOF
70,000 XOF

Fridge
or Freezer

32,000 XOF

21,000 XOF
44,000 XOF

Washing
Machine

39,000 XOF

27,000 XOF
70,000 XOF

Stove
or Cooker

32,000 XOF

25,000 XOF
44,000 XOF

Mobile
Phone

35,000 XOF

29,000 XOF
50,000 XOF

Laptop
or Computer

39,000 XOF

32,000 XOF
70,000 XOF

How do people spend their money in Senegal?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Senegal

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW25,000 XOF
AVERAGE100,000 XOF
HIGH220,000 XOF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW4,200 XOF
AVERAGE17,000 XOF
HIGH36,000 XOF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW5,600 XOF
AVERAGE22,000 XOF
HIGH48,000 XOF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW11,000 XOF
AVERAGE45,000 XOF
HIGH96,000 XOF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW6,300 XOF
AVERAGE25,000 XOF
HIGH54,000 XOF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,500 XOF
AVERAGE14,000 XOF
HIGH30,000 XOF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,400 XOF
AVERAGE5,600 XOF
HIGH12,000 XOF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW13,000 XOF
AVERAGE51,000 XOF
HIGH110,000 XOF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Senegal

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW35,000 XOF
AVERAGE170,000 XOF
HIGH280,000 XOF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW5,300 XOF
AVERAGE21,000 XOF
HIGH42,000 XOF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW13,000 XOF
AVERAGE63,000 XOF
HIGH100,000 XOF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW15,000 XOF
AVERAGE74,000 XOF
HIGH120,000 XOF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW12,000 XOF
AVERAGE58,000 XOF
HIGH93,000 XOF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW6,300 XOF
AVERAGE32,000 XOF
HIGH51,000 XOF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,100 XOF
AVERAGE11,000 XOF
HIGH17,000 XOF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW18,000 XOF
AVERAGE90,000 XOF
HIGH140,000 XOF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Senegal

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW79,000 XOF
AVERAGE270,000 XOF
HIGH400,000 XOF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW7,400 XOF
AVERAGE34,000 XOF
HIGH38,000 XOF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW20,000 XOF
AVERAGE67,000 XOF
HIGH100,000 XOF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW44,000 XOF
AVERAGE150,000 XOF
HIGH230,000 XOF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW20,000 XOF
AVERAGE67,000 XOF
HIGH100,000 XOF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW12,000 XOF
AVERAGE42,000 XOF
HIGH63,000 XOF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW34,000 XOF
AVERAGE120,000 XOF
HIGH180,000 XOF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW30,000 XOF
AVERAGE100,000 XOF
HIGH150,000 XOF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Senegal

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW8,400 XOF
AVERAGE51,000 XOF
HIGH110,000 XOF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW1,400 XOF
AVERAGE8,400 XOF
HIGH18,000 XOF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW2,500 XOF
AVERAGE15,000 XOF
HIGH32,000 XOF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW7,000 XOF
AVERAGE42,000 XOF
HIGH91,000 XOF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW2,100 XOF
AVERAGE13,000 XOF
HIGH27,000 XOF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,800 XOF
AVERAGE11,000 XOF
HIGH23,000 XOF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW6,700 XOF
AVERAGE40,000 XOF
HIGH87,000 XOF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW5,300 XOF
AVERAGE32,000 XOF
HIGH69,000 XOF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Senegal typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 150,000 XOF with expenditure ranging from 37,000 XOF and 250,000 XOF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Senegal ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 20,000 XOF with 4,600 XOF and 34,000 XOF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 10,000 XOF to 71,000 XOF on commuting with 42,000 XOF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Senegal is 78,000 XOF. The cost of groceries can range between 19,000 XOF to 130,000 XOF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Senegal allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 9,900 XOF to 69,000 XOF with 41,000 XOF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 6,000 XOF to 42,000 XOF with 25,000 XOF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 44,000 XOF per month with 11,000 XOF being the minimum spent amount and 73,000 XOF being the maximum.

Dakar  
©copound