Cost Of Living in Serbia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Serbia

Whether you're living in Serbia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
110,000 RSD
average per month
28,000 RSD
Range
240,000 RSD

Couple
210,000 RSD
average per month
42,000 RSD
Range
340,000 RSD

Family
340,000 RSD
average per month
98,000 RSD
Range
510,000 RSD

Student
84,000 RSD
average per month
14,000 RSD
Range
180,000 RSD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Serbia is 110,000 RSD. Expenses can range from 28,000 RSD at the minimum level to 240,000 RSD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Serbia is 210,000 RSD. Expenditure can range from 42,000 RSD to 340,000 RSD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Serbia is 340,000 RSD per month. Families spend anywhere from 98,000 RSD to 510,000 RSD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Serbia is 84,000 RSD. Students spend from 14,000 RSD to 180,000 RSD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Serbia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

28 RSD

28 RSD
28 RSD

Fast food
combo meal

280 RSD

200 RSD
470 RSD

Restaurant
meal for one

940 RSD

740 RSD
1,200 RSD

Fine dining
meal for one

2,300 RSD

1,600 RSD
2,800 RSD

Soda
Soft Drink

23 RSD

23 RSD
23 RSD

Cappuccino
or latte

190 RSD

120 RSD
280 RSD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

140 RSD

120 RSD
160 RSD

Loaf of
bread

20 RSD

18 RSD
23 RSD

12
eggs

140 RSD

120 RSD
180 RSD

Fresh whole
chicken

330 RSD

260 RSD
400 RSD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

370 RSD

310 RSD
470 RSD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

200 RSD

180 RSD
230 RSD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

94 RSD

78 RSD
120 RSD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

100 RSD

88 RSD
110 RSD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

97 RSD

85 RSD
110 RSD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

140 RSD

120 RSD
280 RSD

Average car
full tank

940 RSD

700 RSD
1,900 RSD

Average car
1-day rental

940 RSD

700 RSD
1,400 RSD

Average car
price

700,000 RSD

350,000 RSD
940,000 RSD

Bus ticket
one way

35 RSD

23 RSD
70 RSD

Car
Service

1,400 RSD

940 RSD
2,800 RSD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

6,800 RSD

1,700 RSD
14,000 RSD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

8,400 RSD

2,100 RSD
17,000 RSD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

14,000 RSD

3,000 RSD
15,000 RSD

Internet
and cable

1,400 RSD

700 RSD
1,900 RSD

Mobile phone
charges

940 RSD

560 RSD
2,800 RSD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

470 RSD

350 RSD
700 RSD

One month gym
membership

1,400 RSD

1,100 RSD
2,800 RSD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

1,200 RSD

830 RSD
1,800 RSD

Woman
dress

1,100 RSD

780 RSD
3,500 RSD

Woman
shoes

1,000 RSD

740 RSD
2,300 RSD

Men
shoes

780 RSD

640 RSD
1,600 RSD

Men
suit

880 RSD

700 RSD
4,700 RSD

Regular
t-shirt

470 RSD

350 RSD
1,400 RSD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

18,000 RSD

12,000 RSD
47,000 RSD

1-bedroom
apartment

28,000 RSD

18,000 RSD
70,000 RSD

2-bedroom
apartment

35,000 RSD

23,000 RSD
94,000 RSD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

3,500,000 RSD

2,300,000 RSD
7,000,000 RSD

1-bedroom
apartment

4,700,000 RSD

2,800,000 RSD
18,000,000 RSD

2-bedroom
apartment

14,000,000 RSD

4,700,000 RSD
28,000,000 RSD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

18,000 RSD

14,000 RSD
23,000 RSD

Double
Bed

14,000 RSD

9,400 RSD
18,000 RSD

Single
Bed

11,000 RSD

8,300 RSD
14,000 RSD

Living
Room

20,000 RSD

16,000 RSD
70,000 RSD

Dining
Table

9,400 RSD

7,000 RSD
18,000 RSD

Sofa
or Couch

13,000 RSD

9,400 RSD
28,000 RSD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

14,000 RSD

9,400 RSD
28,000 RSD

Fridge
or Freezer

13,000 RSD

8,300 RSD
18,000 RSD

Washing
Machine

16,000 RSD

11,000 RSD
28,000 RSD

Stove
or Cooker

13,000 RSD

10,000 RSD
18,000 RSD

Mobile
Phone

14,000 RSD

12,000 RSD
20,000 RSD

Laptop
or Computer

16,000 RSD

13,000 RSD
28,000 RSD

How do people spend their money in Serbia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Serbia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW10,000 RSD
AVERAGE41,000 RSD
HIGH86,000 RSD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,700 RSD
AVERAGE6,800 RSD
HIGH14,000 RSD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW2,300 RSD
AVERAGE9,000 RSD
HIGH19,000 RSD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW4,500 RSD
AVERAGE18,000 RSD
HIGH38,000 RSD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW2,500 RSD
AVERAGE10,000 RSD
HIGH22,000 RSD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,400 RSD
AVERAGE5,600 RSD
HIGH12,000 RSD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW560 RSD
AVERAGE2,300 RSD
HIGH4,800 RSD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW5,100 RSD
AVERAGE20,000 RSD
HIGH43,000 RSD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Serbia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW14,000 RSD
AVERAGE70,000 RSD
HIGH110,000 RSD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW2,100 RSD
AVERAGE8,400 RSD
HIGH17,000 RSD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW5,100 RSD
AVERAGE25,000 RSD
HIGH41,000 RSD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW5,900 RSD
AVERAGE30,000 RSD
HIGH47,000 RSD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW4,600 RSD
AVERAGE23,000 RSD
HIGH37,000 RSD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW2,500 RSD
AVERAGE13,000 RSD
HIGH20,000 RSD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW840 RSD
AVERAGE4,200 RSD
HIGH6,800 RSD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW7,200 RSD
AVERAGE36,000 RSD
HIGH57,000 RSD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Serbia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW32,000 RSD
AVERAGE110,000 RSD
HIGH160,000 RSD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW3,000 RSD
AVERAGE14,000 RSD
HIGH15,000 RSD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW7,900 RSD
AVERAGE27,000 RSD
HIGH41,000 RSD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW18,000 RSD
AVERAGE61,000 RSD
HIGH91,000 RSD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW7,900 RSD
AVERAGE27,000 RSD
HIGH41,000 RSD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW4,900 RSD
AVERAGE17,000 RSD
HIGH25,000 RSD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW14,000 RSD
AVERAGE47,000 RSD
HIGH71,000 RSD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW12,000 RSD
AVERAGE41,000 RSD
HIGH61,000 RSD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Serbia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW3,400 RSD
AVERAGE20,000 RSD
HIGH44,000 RSD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW560 RSD
AVERAGE3,400 RSD
HIGH7,300 RSD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW980 RSD
AVERAGE5,900 RSD
HIGH13,000 RSD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW2,800 RSD
AVERAGE17,000 RSD
HIGH37,000 RSD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW840 RSD
AVERAGE5,100 RSD
HIGH11,000 RSD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW700 RSD
AVERAGE4,200 RSD
HIGH9,100 RSD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW2,700 RSD
AVERAGE16,000 RSD
HIGH35,000 RSD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW2,100 RSD
AVERAGE13,000 RSD
HIGH27,000 RSD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Serbia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 60,000 RSD with expenditure ranging from 15,000 RSD and 100,000 RSD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Serbia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 8,000 RSD with 1,800 RSD and 13,000 RSD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 4,000 RSD to 28,000 RSD on commuting with 17,000 RSD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Serbia is 31,000 RSD. The cost of groceries can range between 7,700 RSD to 53,000 RSD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Serbia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 4,000 RSD to 28,000 RSD with 16,000 RSD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 2,400 RSD to 17,000 RSD with 9,800 RSD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 17,000 RSD per month with 4,500 RSD being the minimum spent amount and 29,000 RSD being the maximum.

©copound