Cost Of Living in Sierra Leone

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Sierra Leone

Whether you're living in Sierra Leone or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
4,600,000 SLL
average per month
1,100,000 SLL
Range
9,700,000 SLL

Couple
8,600,000 SLL
average per month
1,700,000 SLL
Range
14,000,000 SLL

Family
14,000,000 SLL
average per month
4,000,000 SLL
Range
21,000,000 SLL

Student
3,400,000 SLL
average per month
570,000 SLL
Range
7,400,000 SLL
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Sierra Leone is 4,600,000 SLL. Expenses can range from 1,100,000 SLL at the minimum level to 9,700,000 SLL at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Sierra Leone is 8,600,000 SLL. Expenditure can range from 1,700,000 SLL to 14,000,000 SLL per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Sierra Leone is 14,000,000 SLL per month. Families spend anywhere from 4,000,000 SLL to 21,000,000 SLL.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Sierra Leone is 3,400,000 SLL. Students spend from 570,000 SLL to 7,400,000 SLL per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Sierra Leone

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1,100 SLL

1,100 SLL
1,100 SLL

Fast food
combo meal

11,000 SLL

8,200 SLL
19,000 SLL

Restaurant
meal for one

38,000 SLL

30,000 SLL
48,000 SLL

Fine dining
meal for one

95,000 SLL

64,000 SLL
110,000 SLL

Soda
Soft Drink

950 SLL

950 SLL
950 SLL

Cappuccino
or latte

7,600 SLL

4,800 SLL
11,000 SLL

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

5,700 SLL

4,800 SLL
6,400 SLL

Loaf of
bread

820 SLL

720 SLL
950 SLL

12
eggs

5,700 SLL

4,800 SLL
7,200 SLL

Fresh whole
chicken

13,000 SLL

10,000 SLL
16,000 SLL

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

15,000 SLL

13,000 SLL
19,000 SLL

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

8,200 SLL

7,200 SLL
9,500 SLL

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

3,800 SLL

3,200 SLL
4,800 SLL

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

4,100 SLL

3,600 SLL
4,400 SLL

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

3,900 SLL

3,500 SLL
4,400 SLL

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

5,700 SLL

4,800 SLL
11,000 SLL

Average car
full tank

38,000 SLL

29,000 SLL
76,000 SLL

Average car
1-day rental

38,000 SLL

29,000 SLL
57,000 SLL

Average car
price

29,000,000 SLL

14,000,000 SLL
38,000,000 SLL

Bus ticket
one way

1,400 SLL

950 SLL
2,900 SLL

Car
Service

57,000 SLL

38,000 SLL
110,000 SLL

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

270,000 SLL

69,000 SLL
580,000 SLL

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

340,000 SLL

86,000 SLL
690,000 SLL

Electricity
and water bill
Family

550,000 SLL

120,000 SLL
620,000 SLL

Internet
and cable

57,000 SLL

29,000 SLL
76,000 SLL

Mobile phone
charges

38,000 SLL

23,000 SLL
110,000 SLL

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

19,000 SLL

14,000 SLL
29,000 SLL

One month gym
membership

57,000 SLL

46,000 SLL
110,000 SLL

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

48,000 SLL

34,000 SLL
72,000 SLL

Woman
dress

44,000 SLL

32,000 SLL
140,000 SLL

Woman
shoes

41,000 SLL

30,000 SLL
95,000 SLL

Men
shoes

32,000 SLL

26,000 SLL
64,000 SLL

Men
suit

36,000 SLL

29,000 SLL
190,000 SLL

Regular
t-shirt

19,000 SLL

14,000 SLL
57,000 SLL

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

720,000 SLL

480,000 SLL
1,900,000 SLL

1-bedroom
apartment

1,100,000 SLL

720,000 SLL
2,900,000 SLL

2-bedroom
apartment

1,400,000 SLL

950,000 SLL
3,800,000 SLL

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

140,000,000 SLL

95,000,000 SLL
290,000,000 SLL

1-bedroom
apartment

190,000,000 SLL

110,000,000 SLL
720,000,000 SLL

2-bedroom
apartment

570,000,000 SLL

190,000,000 SLL
1,100,000,000 SLL

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

720,000 SLL

570,000 SLL
950,000 SLL

Double
Bed

570,000 SLL

380,000 SLL
720,000 SLL

Single
Bed

440,000 SLL

340,000 SLL
570,000 SLL

Living
Room

820,000 SLL

640,000 SLL
2,900,000 SLL

Dining
Table

380,000 SLL

290,000 SLL
720,000 SLL

Sofa
or Couch

520,000 SLL

380,000 SLL
1,100,000 SLL

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

570,000 SLL

380,000 SLL
1,100,000 SLL

Fridge
or Freezer

520,000 SLL

340,000 SLL
720,000 SLL

Washing
Machine

640,000 SLL

440,000 SLL
1,100,000 SLL

Stove
or Cooker

520,000 SLL

410,000 SLL
720,000 SLL

Mobile
Phone

570,000 SLL

480,000 SLL
820,000 SLL

Laptop
or Computer

640,000 SLL

520,000 SLL
1,100,000 SLL

How do people spend their money in Sierra Leone?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Sierra Leone

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW410,000 SLL
AVERAGE1,600,000 SLL
HIGH3,500,000 SLL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW69,000 SLL
AVERAGE270,000 SLL
HIGH580,000 SLL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW92,000 SLL
AVERAGE370,000 SLL
HIGH780,000 SLL
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW180,000 SLL
AVERAGE730,000 SLL
HIGH1,600,000 SLL
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW100,000 SLL
AVERAGE410,000 SLL
HIGH880,000 SLL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW57,000 SLL
AVERAGE230,000 SLL
HIGH490,000 SLL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW23,000 SLL
AVERAGE92,000 SLL
HIGH190,000 SLL
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW210,000 SLL
AVERAGE820,000 SLL
HIGH1,800,000 SLL
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Sierra Leone

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW570,000 SLL
AVERAGE2,800,000 SLL
HIGH4,500,000 SLL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW86,000 SLL
AVERAGE340,000 SLL
HIGH690,000 SLL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW210,000 SLL
AVERAGE1,000,000 SLL
HIGH1,600,000 SLL
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW240,000 SLL
AVERAGE1,200,000 SLL
HIGH1,900,000 SLL
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW190,000 SLL
AVERAGE940,000 SLL
HIGH1,500,000 SLL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW100,000 SLL
AVERAGE520,000 SLL
HIGH820,000 SLL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW34,000 SLL
AVERAGE170,000 SLL
HIGH270,000 SLL
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW290,000 SLL
AVERAGE1,500,000 SLL
HIGH2,300,000 SLL
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Sierra Leone

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,300,000 SLL
AVERAGE4,400,000 SLL
HIGH6,600,000 SLL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW120,000 SLL
AVERAGE550,000 SLL
HIGH620,000 SLL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW320,000 SLL
AVERAGE1,100,000 SLL
HIGH1,600,000 SLL
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW720,000 SLL
AVERAGE2,500,000 SLL
HIGH3,700,000 SLL
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW320,000 SLL
AVERAGE1,100,000 SLL
HIGH1,600,000 SLL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW200,000 SLL
AVERAGE690,000 SLL
HIGH1,000,000 SLL
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW560,000 SLL
AVERAGE1,900,000 SLL
HIGH2,900,000 SLL
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW480,000 SLL
AVERAGE1,600,000 SLL
HIGH2,500,000 SLL
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Sierra Leone

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW140,000 SLL
AVERAGE820,000 SLL
HIGH1,800,000 SLL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW23,000 SLL
AVERAGE140,000 SLL
HIGH300,000 SLL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW40,000 SLL
AVERAGE240,000 SLL
HIGH520,000 SLL
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW110,000 SLL
AVERAGE690,000 SLL
HIGH1,500,000 SLL
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW34,000 SLL
AVERAGE210,000 SLL
HIGH450,000 SLL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW29,000 SLL
AVERAGE170,000 SLL
HIGH370,000 SLL
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW110,000 SLL
AVERAGE650,000 SLL
HIGH1,400,000 SLL
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW86,000 SLL
AVERAGE520,000 SLL
HIGH1,100,000 SLL
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Sierra Leone typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,400,000 SLL with expenditure ranging from 600,000 SLL and 4,100,000 SLL. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Sierra Leone ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 330,000 SLL with 74,000 SLL and 550,000 SLL being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 160,000 SLL to 1,100,000 SLL on commuting with 680,000 SLL being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Sierra Leone is 1,300,000 SLL. The cost of groceries can range between 310,000 SLL to 2,200,000 SLL. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Sierra Leone allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 160,000 SLL to 1,100,000 SLL with 670,000 SLL being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 97,000 SLL to 680,000 SLL with 400,000 SLL being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 710,000 SLL per month with 180,000 SLL being the minimum spent amount and 1,200,000 SLL being the maximum.

©copound