Cost Of Living in Singapore

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Singapore

Whether you're living in Singapore or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
6,800 SGD
average per month
1,700 SGD
Range
14,000 SGD

Couple
13,000 SGD
average per month
2,500 SGD
Range
20,000 SGD

Family
20,000 SGD
average per month
5,900 SGD
Range
31,000 SGD

Student
5,100 SGD
average per month
850 SGD
Range
11,000 SGD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Singapore is 6,800 SGD. Expenses can range from 1,700 SGD at the minimum level to 14,000 SGD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Singapore is 13,000 SGD. Expenditure can range from 2,500 SGD to 20,000 SGD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Singapore is 20,000 SGD per month. Families spend anywhere from 5,900 SGD to 31,000 SGD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Singapore is 5,100 SGD. Students spend from 850 SGD to 11,000 SGD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Singapore

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.7 SGD

1.7 SGD
1.7 SGD

Fast food
combo meal

17 SGD

12 SGD
28 SGD

Restaurant
meal for one

57 SGD

45 SGD
71 SGD

Fine dining
meal for one

140 SGD

94 SGD
170 SGD

Soda
Soft Drink

1.4 SGD

1.4 SGD
1.4 SGD

Cappuccino
or latte

11 SGD

7.1 SGD
17 SGD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

8.5 SGD

7.1 SGD
9.4 SGD

Loaf of
bread

1.2 SGD

1.1 SGD
1.4 SGD

12
eggs

8.5 SGD

7.1 SGD
11 SGD

Fresh whole
chicken

20 SGD

15 SGD
24 SGD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

22 SGD

19 SGD
28 SGD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

12 SGD

11 SGD
14 SGD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

5.7 SGD

4.7 SGD
7.1 SGD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

6.1 SGD

5.3 SGD
6.5 SGD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

5.9 SGD

5.1 SGD
6.5 SGD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

8.5 SGD

7.1 SGD
17 SGD

Average car
full tank

57 SGD

42 SGD
110 SGD

Average car
1-day rental

57 SGD

42 SGD
85 SGD

Average car
price

42,000 SGD

21,000 SGD
57,000 SGD

Bus ticket
one way

2.1 SGD

1.4 SGD
4.2 SGD

Car
Service

85 SGD

57 SGD
170 SGD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

410 SGD

100 SGD
860 SGD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

510 SGD

130 SGD
1,000 SGD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

810 SGD

180 SGD
920 SGD

Internet
and cable

85 SGD

42 SGD
110 SGD

Mobile phone
charges

57 SGD

34 SGD
170 SGD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

28 SGD

21 SGD
42 SGD

One month gym
membership

85 SGD

68 SGD
170 SGD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

71 SGD

50 SGD
110 SGD

Woman
dress

65 SGD

47 SGD
210 SGD

Woman
shoes

61 SGD

45 SGD
140 SGD

Men
shoes

47 SGD

39 SGD
94 SGD

Men
suit

53 SGD

42 SGD
280 SGD

Regular
t-shirt

28 SGD

21 SGD
85 SGD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,100 SGD

710 SGD
2,800 SGD

1-bedroom
apartment

1,700 SGD

1,100 SGD
4,200 SGD

2-bedroom
apartment

2,100 SGD

1,400 SGD
5,700 SGD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

210,000 SGD

140,000 SGD
420,000 SGD

1-bedroom
apartment

280,000 SGD

170,000 SGD
1,100,000 SGD

2-bedroom
apartment

850,000 SGD

280,000 SGD
1,700,000 SGD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,100 SGD

850 SGD
1,400 SGD

Double
Bed

850 SGD

570 SGD
1,100 SGD

Single
Bed

650 SGD

500 SGD
850 SGD

Living
Room

1,200 SGD

940 SGD
4,200 SGD

Dining
Table

570 SGD

420 SGD
1,100 SGD

Sofa
or Couch

770 SGD

570 SGD
1,700 SGD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

850 SGD

570 SGD
1,700 SGD

Fridge
or Freezer

770 SGD

500 SGD
1,100 SGD

Washing
Machine

940 SGD

650 SGD
1,700 SGD

Stove
or Cooker

770 SGD

610 SGD
1,100 SGD

Mobile
Phone

850 SGD

710 SGD
1,200 SGD

Laptop
or Computer

940 SGD

770 SGD
1,700 SGD

How do people spend their money in Singapore?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Singapore

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW610 SGD
AVERAGE2,400 SGD
HIGH5,200 SGD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW100 SGD
AVERAGE410 SGD
HIGH860 SGD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW140 SGD
AVERAGE540 SGD
HIGH1,200 SGD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW270 SGD
AVERAGE1,100 SGD
HIGH2,300 SGD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW150 SGD
AVERAGE610 SGD
HIGH1,300 SGD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW85 SGD
AVERAGE340 SGD
HIGH720 SGD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW34 SGD
AVERAGE140 SGD
HIGH290 SGD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW310 SGD
AVERAGE1,200 SGD
HIGH2,600 SGD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Singapore

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW840 SGD
AVERAGE4,200 SGD
HIGH6,700 SGD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW130 SGD
AVERAGE510 SGD
HIGH1,000 SGD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW310 SGD
AVERAGE1,500 SGD
HIGH2,400 SGD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW360 SGD
AVERAGE1,800 SGD
HIGH2,800 SGD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW280 SGD
AVERAGE1,400 SGD
HIGH2,200 SGD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW150 SGD
AVERAGE760 SGD
HIGH1,200 SGD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW51 SGD
AVERAGE250 SGD
HIGH410 SGD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW430 SGD
AVERAGE2,200 SGD
HIGH3,500 SGD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Singapore

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,900 SGD
AVERAGE6,500 SGD
HIGH9,800 SGD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW180 SGD
AVERAGE810 SGD
HIGH920 SGD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW470 SGD
AVERAGE1,600 SGD
HIGH2,400 SGD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,100 SGD
AVERAGE3,700 SGD
HIGH5,500 SGD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW470 SGD
AVERAGE1,600 SGD
HIGH2,400 SGD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW300 SGD
AVERAGE1,000 SGD
HIGH1,500 SGD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW830 SGD
AVERAGE2,800 SGD
HIGH4,300 SGD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW710 SGD
AVERAGE2,400 SGD
HIGH3,700 SGD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Singapore

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW200 SGD
AVERAGE1,200 SGD
HIGH2,600 SGD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW34 SGD
AVERAGE200 SGD
HIGH440 SGD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW59 SGD
AVERAGE360 SGD
HIGH770 SGD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW170 SGD
AVERAGE1,000 SGD
HIGH2,200 SGD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW51 SGD
AVERAGE310 SGD
HIGH660 SGD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW42 SGD
AVERAGE250 SGD
HIGH550 SGD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW160 SGD
AVERAGE970 SGD
HIGH2,100 SGD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW130 SGD
AVERAGE760 SGD
HIGH1,700 SGD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Singapore typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,600 SGD with expenditure ranging from 890 SGD and 6,100 SGD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Singapore ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 480 SGD with 110 SGD and 810 SGD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 240 SGD to 1,700 SGD on commuting with 1,000 SGD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Singapore is 1,900 SGD. The cost of groceries can range between 470 SGD to 3,200 SGD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Singapore allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 240 SGD to 1,700 SGD with 990 SGD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 140 SGD to 1,000 SGD with 590 SGD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,100 SGD per month with 270 SGD being the minimum spent amount and 1,800 SGD being the maximum.

©copound