Cost Of Living in Slovenia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Slovenia

Whether you're living in Slovenia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,600 EUR
average per month
400 EUR
Range
3,400 EUR

Couple
3,000 EUR
average per month
590 EUR
Range
4,700 EUR

Family
4,700 EUR
average per month
1,400 EUR
Range
7,100 EUR

Student
1,200 EUR
average per month
200 EUR
Range
2,600 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Slovenia is 1,600 EUR. Expenses can range from 400 EUR at the minimum level to 3,400 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Slovenia is 3,000 EUR. Expenditure can range from 590 EUR to 4,700 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Slovenia is 4,700 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,400 EUR to 7,100 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Slovenia is 1,200 EUR. Students spend from 200 EUR to 2,600 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Slovenia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.40 EUR

0.40 EUR
0.40 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

4.0 EUR

2.8 EUR
6.6 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

13 EUR

10 EUR
16 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

33 EUR

22 EUR
40 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.33 EUR

0.33 EUR
0.33 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

2.6 EUR

1.7 EUR
4.0 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2.0 EUR

1.7 EUR
2.2 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.28 EUR

0.25 EUR
0.33 EUR

12
eggs

2.0 EUR

1.7 EUR
2.5 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

4.6 EUR

3.6 EUR
5.7 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

5.2 EUR

4.4 EUR
6.6 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2.8 EUR

2.5 EUR
3.3 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.3 EUR

1.1 EUR
1.7 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.4 EUR

1.2 EUR
1.5 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.4 EUR

1.2 EUR
1.5 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2.0 EUR

1.7 EUR
4.0 EUR

Average car
full tank

13 EUR

9.9 EUR
26 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

13 EUR

9.9 EUR
20 EUR

Average car
price

9,900 EUR

4,900 EUR
13,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

0.49 EUR

0.33 EUR
0.99 EUR

Car
Service

20 EUR

13 EUR
40 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

95 EUR

24 EUR
200 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

120 EUR

30 EUR
240 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

190 EUR

42 EUR
210 EUR

Internet
and cable

20 EUR

9.9 EUR
26 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

13 EUR

7.9 EUR
40 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

6.6 EUR

5.0 EUR
9.9 EUR

One month gym
membership

20 EUR

16 EUR
40 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

16 EUR

12 EUR
25 EUR

Woman
dress

15 EUR

11 EUR
49 EUR

Woman
shoes

14 EUR

10 EUR
33 EUR

Men
shoes

11 EUR

9.0 EUR
22 EUR

Men
suit

12 EUR

9.9 EUR
66 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

6.6 EUR

5.0 EUR
20 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

250 EUR

160 EUR
660 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

400 EUR

250 EUR
990 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

490 EUR

330 EUR
1,300 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

49,000 EUR

33,000 EUR
99,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

66,000 EUR

40,000 EUR
250,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

200,000 EUR

66,000 EUR
400,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

250 EUR

200 EUR
330 EUR

Double
Bed

200 EUR

130 EUR
250 EUR

Single
Bed

150 EUR

120 EUR
200 EUR

Living
Room

280 EUR

220 EUR
990 EUR

Dining
Table

130 EUR

99 EUR
250 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

180 EUR

130 EUR
400 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

200 EUR

130 EUR
400 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

180 EUR

120 EUR
250 EUR

Washing
Machine

220 EUR

150 EUR
400 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

180 EUR

140 EUR
250 EUR

Mobile
Phone

200 EUR

160 EUR
280 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

220 EUR

180 EUR
400 EUR

How do people spend their money in Slovenia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Slovenia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW140 EUR
AVERAGE570 EUR
HIGH1,200 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW24 EUR
AVERAGE95 EUR
HIGH200 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW32 EUR
AVERAGE130 EUR
HIGH270 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW63 EUR
AVERAGE250 EUR
HIGH540 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW36 EUR
AVERAGE140 EUR
HIGH300 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW20 EUR
AVERAGE79 EUR
HIGH170 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW7.9 EUR
AVERAGE32 EUR
HIGH67 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW71 EUR
AVERAGE280 EUR
HIGH610 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Slovenia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW200 EUR
AVERAGE980 EUR
HIGH1,600 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW30 EUR
AVERAGE120 EUR
HIGH240 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW71 EUR
AVERAGE360 EUR
HIGH570 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW83 EUR
AVERAGE420 EUR
HIGH660 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW65 EUR
AVERAGE330 EUR
HIGH520 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW36 EUR
AVERAGE180 EUR
HIGH280 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW12 EUR
AVERAGE59 EUR
HIGH95 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW100 EUR
AVERAGE500 EUR
HIGH810 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Slovenia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW440 EUR
AVERAGE1,500 EUR
HIGH2,300 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW42 EUR
AVERAGE190 EUR
HIGH210 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE380 EUR
HIGH570 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW250 EUR
AVERAGE850 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE380 EUR
HIGH570 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW69 EUR
AVERAGE240 EUR
HIGH360 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW190 EUR
AVERAGE660 EUR
HIGH1,000 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW170 EUR
AVERAGE570 EUR
HIGH850 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Slovenia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW48 EUR
AVERAGE280 EUR
HIGH620 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW7.9 EUR
AVERAGE48 EUR
HIGH100 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW14 EUR
AVERAGE83 EUR
HIGH180 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW40 EUR
AVERAGE240 EUR
HIGH510 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW12 EUR
AVERAGE71 EUR
HIGH150 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW9.9 EUR
AVERAGE59 EUR
HIGH130 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW38 EUR
AVERAGE230 EUR
HIGH490 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW30 EUR
AVERAGE180 EUR
HIGH390 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Slovenia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 840 EUR with expenditure ranging from 210 EUR and 1,400 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Slovenia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 110 EUR with 26 EUR and 190 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 57 EUR to 400 EUR on commuting with 240 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Slovenia is 440 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 110 EUR to 750 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Slovenia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 56 EUR to 390 EUR with 230 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 34 EUR to 230 EUR with 140 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 250 EUR per month with 63 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 410 EUR being the maximum.

©copound