Cost Of Living in Solomon Islands

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Solomon Islands

Whether you're living in Solomon Islands or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
5,100 SBD
average per month
1,300 SBD
Range
11,000 SBD

Couple
9,600 SBD
average per month
1,900 SBD
Range
15,000 SBD

Family
15,000 SBD
average per month
4,500 SBD
Range
23,000 SBD

Student
3,800 SBD
average per month
640 SBD
Range
8,300 SBD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Solomon Islands is 5,100 SBD. Expenses can range from 1,300 SBD at the minimum level to 11,000 SBD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Solomon Islands is 9,600 SBD. Expenditure can range from 1,900 SBD to 15,000 SBD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Solomon Islands is 15,000 SBD per month. Families spend anywhere from 4,500 SBD to 23,000 SBD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Solomon Islands is 3,800 SBD. Students spend from 640 SBD to 8,300 SBD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Solomon Islands

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.3 SBD

1.3 SBD
1.3 SBD

Fast food
combo meal

13 SBD

9.1 SBD
21 SBD

Restaurant
meal for one

42 SBD

34 SBD
53 SBD

Fine dining
meal for one

110 SBD

71 SBD
130 SBD

Soda
Soft Drink

1.1 SBD

1.1 SBD
1.1 SBD

Cappuccino
or latte

8.5 SBD

5.3 SBD
13 SBD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

6.4 SBD

5.3 SBD
7.1 SBD

Loaf of
bread

0.91 SBD

0.80 SBD
1.1 SBD

12
eggs

6.4 SBD

5.3 SBD
8.0 SBD

Fresh whole
chicken

15 SBD

12 SBD
18 SBD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

17 SBD

14 SBD
21 SBD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

9.1 SBD

8.0 SBD
11 SBD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

4.3 SBD

3.5 SBD
5.3 SBD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

4.6 SBD

4.0 SBD
4.9 SBD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

4.4 SBD

3.9 SBD
4.9 SBD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

6.4 SBD

5.3 SBD
13 SBD

Average car
full tank

42 SBD

32 SBD
85 SBD

Average car
1-day rental

42 SBD

32 SBD
64 SBD

Average car
price

32,000 SBD

16,000 SBD
42,000 SBD

Bus ticket
one way

1.6 SBD

1.1 SBD
3.2 SBD

Car
Service

64 SBD

42 SBD
130 SBD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

310 SBD

76 SBD
650 SBD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

380 SBD

96 SBD
760 SBD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

610 SBD

130 SBD
690 SBD

Internet
and cable

64 SBD

32 SBD
85 SBD

Mobile phone
charges

42 SBD

25 SBD
130 SBD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

21 SBD

16 SBD
32 SBD

One month gym
membership

64 SBD

51 SBD
130 SBD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

53 SBD

37 SBD
80 SBD

Woman
dress

49 SBD

35 SBD
160 SBD

Woman
shoes

45 SBD

34 SBD
110 SBD

Men
shoes

35 SBD

29 SBD
71 SBD

Men
suit

40 SBD

32 SBD
210 SBD

Regular
t-shirt

21 SBD

16 SBD
64 SBD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

800 SBD

530 SBD
2,100 SBD

1-bedroom
apartment

1,300 SBD

800 SBD
3,200 SBD

2-bedroom
apartment

1,600 SBD

1,100 SBD
4,200 SBD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

160,000 SBD

110,000 SBD
320,000 SBD

1-bedroom
apartment

210,000 SBD

130,000 SBD
800,000 SBD

2-bedroom
apartment

640,000 SBD

210,000 SBD
1,300,000 SBD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

800 SBD

640 SBD
1,100 SBD

Double
Bed

640 SBD

420 SBD
800 SBD

Single
Bed

490 SBD

370 SBD
640 SBD

Living
Room

910 SBD

710 SBD
3,200 SBD

Dining
Table

420 SBD

320 SBD
800 SBD

Sofa
or Couch

580 SBD

420 SBD
1,300 SBD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

640 SBD

420 SBD
1,300 SBD

Fridge
or Freezer

580 SBD

370 SBD
800 SBD

Washing
Machine

710 SBD

490 SBD
1,300 SBD

Stove
or Cooker

580 SBD

450 SBD
800 SBD

Mobile
Phone

640 SBD

530 SBD
910 SBD

Laptop
or Computer

710 SBD

580 SBD
1,300 SBD

How do people spend their money in Solomon Islands?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Solomon Islands

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW460 SBD
AVERAGE1,800 SBD
HIGH3,900 SBD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW76 SBD
AVERAGE310 SBD
HIGH650 SBD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW100 SBD
AVERAGE410 SBD
HIGH870 SBD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW200 SBD
AVERAGE820 SBD
HIGH1,700 SBD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW110 SBD
AVERAGE460 SBD
HIGH970 SBD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW64 SBD
AVERAGE250 SBD
HIGH540 SBD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW25 SBD
AVERAGE100 SBD
HIGH220 SBD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW230 SBD
AVERAGE920 SBD
HIGH1,900 SBD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Solomon Islands

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW630 SBD
AVERAGE3,200 SBD
HIGH5,000 SBD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW96 SBD
AVERAGE380 SBD
HIGH760 SBD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW230 SBD
AVERAGE1,100 SBD
HIGH1,800 SBD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW270 SBD
AVERAGE1,300 SBD
HIGH2,100 SBD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW210 SBD
AVERAGE1,100 SBD
HIGH1,700 SBD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW110 SBD
AVERAGE570 SBD
HIGH920 SBD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW38 SBD
AVERAGE190 SBD
HIGH310 SBD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW320 SBD
AVERAGE1,600 SBD
HIGH2,600 SBD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Solomon Islands

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,400 SBD
AVERAGE4,900 SBD
HIGH7,300 SBD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW130 SBD
AVERAGE610 SBD
HIGH690 SBD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW360 SBD
AVERAGE1,200 SBD
HIGH1,800 SBD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW800 SBD
AVERAGE2,800 SBD
HIGH4,100 SBD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW360 SBD
AVERAGE1,200 SBD
HIGH1,800 SBD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW220 SBD
AVERAGE760 SBD
HIGH1,100 SBD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW620 SBD
AVERAGE2,100 SBD
HIGH3,200 SBD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW530 SBD
AVERAGE1,800 SBD
HIGH2,800 SBD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Solomon Islands

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW150 SBD
AVERAGE920 SBD
HIGH2,000 SBD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW25 SBD
AVERAGE150 SBD
HIGH330 SBD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW45 SBD
AVERAGE270 SBD
HIGH580 SBD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW130 SBD
AVERAGE760 SBD
HIGH1,700 SBD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW38 SBD
AVERAGE230 SBD
HIGH500 SBD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW32 SBD
AVERAGE190 SBD
HIGH410 SBD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW120 SBD
AVERAGE730 SBD
HIGH1,600 SBD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW96 SBD
AVERAGE570 SBD
HIGH1,200 SBD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Solomon Islands typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,700 SBD with expenditure ranging from 670 SBD and 4,600 SBD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Solomon Islands ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 360 SBD with 83 SBD and 610 SBD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 180 SBD to 1,300 SBD on commuting with 760 SBD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Solomon Islands is 1,400 SBD. The cost of groceries can range between 350 SBD to 2,400 SBD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Solomon Islands allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 180 SBD to 1,200 SBD with 740 SBD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 110 SBD to 750 SBD with 450 SBD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 790 SBD per month with 200 SBD being the minimum spent amount and 1,300 SBD being the maximum.

©copound