Cost Of Living in Somalia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Somalia

Whether you're living in Somalia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
210,000 SOS
average per month
52,000 SOS
Range
440,000 SOS

Couple
390,000 SOS
average per month
78,000 SOS
Range
620,000 SOS

Family
620,000 SOS
average per month
180,000 SOS
Range
940,000 SOS

Student
160,000 SOS
average per month
26,000 SOS
Range
340,000 SOS
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Somalia is 210,000 SOS. Expenses can range from 52,000 SOS at the minimum level to 440,000 SOS at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Somalia is 390,000 SOS. Expenditure can range from 78,000 SOS to 620,000 SOS per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Somalia is 620,000 SOS per month. Families spend anywhere from 180,000 SOS to 940,000 SOS.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Somalia is 160,000 SOS. Students spend from 26,000 SOS to 340,000 SOS per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Somalia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

52 SOS

52 SOS
52 SOS

Fast food
combo meal

520 SOS

370 SOS
870 SOS

Restaurant
meal for one

1,700 SOS

1,400 SOS
2,200 SOS

Fine dining
meal for one

4,300 SOS

2,900 SOS
5,200 SOS

Soda
Soft Drink

43 SOS

43 SOS
43 SOS

Cappuccino
or latte

350 SOS

220 SOS
520 SOS

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

260 SOS

220 SOS
290 SOS

Loaf of
bread

37 SOS

33 SOS
43 SOS

12
eggs

260 SOS

220 SOS
330 SOS

Fresh whole
chicken

610 SOS

470 SOS
740 SOS

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

680 SOS

580 SOS
870 SOS

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

370 SOS

330 SOS
430 SOS

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

170 SOS

140 SOS
220 SOS

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

190 SOS

160 SOS
200 SOS

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

180 SOS

160 SOS
200 SOS

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

260 SOS

220 SOS
520 SOS

Average car
full tank

1,700 SOS

1,300 SOS
3,500 SOS

Average car
1-day rental

1,700 SOS

1,300 SOS
2,600 SOS

Average car
price

1,300,000 SOS

650,000 SOS
1,700,000 SOS

Bus ticket
one way

65 SOS

43 SOS
130 SOS

Car
Service

2,600 SOS

1,700 SOS
5,200 SOS

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

12,000 SOS

3,100 SOS
27,000 SOS

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

16,000 SOS

3,900 SOS
31,000 SOS

Electricity
and water bill
Family

25,000 SOS

5,500 SOS
28,000 SOS

Internet
and cable

2,600 SOS

1,300 SOS
3,500 SOS

Mobile phone
charges

1,700 SOS

1,000 SOS
5,200 SOS

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

870 SOS

650 SOS
1,300 SOS

One month gym
membership

2,600 SOS

2,100 SOS
5,200 SOS

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

2,200 SOS

1,500 SOS
3,300 SOS

Woman
dress

2,000 SOS

1,400 SOS
6,500 SOS

Woman
shoes

1,900 SOS

1,400 SOS
4,300 SOS

Men
shoes

1,400 SOS

1,200 SOS
2,900 SOS

Men
suit

1,600 SOS

1,300 SOS
8,700 SOS

Regular
t-shirt

870 SOS

650 SOS
2,600 SOS

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

33,000 SOS

22,000 SOS
87,000 SOS

1-bedroom
apartment

52,000 SOS

33,000 SOS
130,000 SOS

2-bedroom
apartment

65,000 SOS

43,000 SOS
170,000 SOS

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

6,500,000 SOS

4,300,000 SOS
13,000,000 SOS

1-bedroom
apartment

8,700,000 SOS

5,200,000 SOS
33,000,000 SOS

2-bedroom
apartment

26,000,000 SOS

8,700,000 SOS
52,000,000 SOS

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

33,000 SOS

26,000 SOS
43,000 SOS

Double
Bed

26,000 SOS

17,000 SOS
33,000 SOS

Single
Bed

20,000 SOS

15,000 SOS
26,000 SOS

Living
Room

37,000 SOS

29,000 SOS
130,000 SOS

Dining
Table

17,000 SOS

13,000 SOS
33,000 SOS

Sofa
or Couch

24,000 SOS

17,000 SOS
52,000 SOS

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

26,000 SOS

17,000 SOS
52,000 SOS

Fridge
or Freezer

24,000 SOS

15,000 SOS
33,000 SOS

Washing
Machine

29,000 SOS

20,000 SOS
52,000 SOS

Stove
or Cooker

24,000 SOS

19,000 SOS
33,000 SOS

Mobile
Phone

26,000 SOS

22,000 SOS
37,000 SOS

Laptop
or Computer

29,000 SOS

24,000 SOS
52,000 SOS

How do people spend their money in Somalia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Somalia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW19,000 SOS
AVERAGE75,000 SOS
HIGH160,000 SOS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,100 SOS
AVERAGE12,000 SOS
HIGH27,000 SOS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW4,200 SOS
AVERAGE17,000 SOS
HIGH35,000 SOS
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW8,300 SOS
AVERAGE33,000 SOS
HIGH71,000 SOS
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW4,700 SOS
AVERAGE19,000 SOS
HIGH40,000 SOS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,600 SOS
AVERAGE10,000 SOS
HIGH22,000 SOS
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,000 SOS
AVERAGE4,200 SOS
HIGH8,800 SOS
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW9,400 SOS
AVERAGE37,000 SOS
HIGH80,000 SOS
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Somalia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW26,000 SOS
AVERAGE130,000 SOS
HIGH210,000 SOS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW3,900 SOS
AVERAGE16,000 SOS
HIGH31,000 SOS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW9,400 SOS
AVERAGE47,000 SOS
HIGH75,000 SOS
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW11,000 SOS
AVERAGE55,000 SOS
HIGH87,000 SOS
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW8,600 SOS
AVERAGE43,000 SOS
HIGH69,000 SOS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW4,700 SOS
AVERAGE23,000 SOS
HIGH37,000 SOS
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,600 SOS
AVERAGE7,800 SOS
HIGH12,000 SOS
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW13,000 SOS
AVERAGE66,000 SOS
HIGH110,000 SOS
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Somalia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW58,000 SOS
AVERAGE200,000 SOS
HIGH300,000 SOS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW5,500 SOS
AVERAGE25,000 SOS
HIGH28,000 SOS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW15,000 SOS
AVERAGE50,000 SOS
HIGH75,000 SOS
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW33,000 SOS
AVERAGE110,000 SOS
HIGH170,000 SOS
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW15,000 SOS
AVERAGE50,000 SOS
HIGH75,000 SOS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW9,100 SOS
AVERAGE31,000 SOS
HIGH47,000 SOS
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW25,000 SOS
AVERAGE87,000 SOS
HIGH130,000 SOS
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW22,000 SOS
AVERAGE75,000 SOS
HIGH110,000 SOS
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Somalia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW6,200 SOS
AVERAGE37,000 SOS
HIGH81,000 SOS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW1,000 SOS
AVERAGE6,200 SOS
HIGH14,000 SOS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW1,800 SOS
AVERAGE11,000 SOS
HIGH24,000 SOS
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW5,200 SOS
AVERAGE31,000 SOS
HIGH68,000 SOS
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW1,600 SOS
AVERAGE9,400 SOS
HIGH20,000 SOS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,300 SOS
AVERAGE7,800 SOS
HIGH17,000 SOS
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW4,900 SOS
AVERAGE30,000 SOS
HIGH64,000 SOS
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW3,900 SOS
AVERAGE23,000 SOS
HIGH51,000 SOS
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Somalia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 110,000 SOS with expenditure ranging from 27,000 SOS and 190,000 SOS. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Somalia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 15,000 SOS with 3,400 SOS and 25,000 SOS being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 7,500 SOS to 52,000 SOS on commuting with 31,000 SOS being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Somalia is 58,000 SOS. The cost of groceries can range between 14,000 SOS to 99,000 SOS. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Somalia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 7,400 SOS to 51,000 SOS with 30,000 SOS being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 4,400 SOS to 31,000 SOS with 18,000 SOS being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 32,000 SOS per month with 8,300 SOS being the minimum spent amount and 54,000 SOS being the maximum.

©copound