Cost Of Living in South Africa

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in South Africa

Whether you're living in South Africa or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
25,000 ZAR
average per month
6,300 ZAR
Range
53,000 ZAR

Couple
47,000 ZAR
average per month
9,400 ZAR
Range
75,000 ZAR

Family
75,000 ZAR
average per month
22,000 ZAR
Range
110,000 ZAR

Student
19,000 ZAR
average per month
3,100 ZAR
Range
41,000 ZAR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in South Africa is 25,000 ZAR. Expenses can range from 6,300 ZAR at the minimum level to 53,000 ZAR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in South Africa is 47,000 ZAR. Expenditure can range from 9,400 ZAR to 75,000 ZAR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in South Africa is 75,000 ZAR per month. Families spend anywhere from 22,000 ZAR to 110,000 ZAR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in South Africa is 19,000 ZAR. Students spend from 3,100 ZAR to 41,000 ZAR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in South Africa

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

6.3 ZAR

6.3 ZAR
6.3 ZAR

Fast food
combo meal

63 ZAR

45 ZAR
100 ZAR

Restaurant
meal for one

210 ZAR

160 ZAR
260 ZAR

Fine dining
meal for one

520 ZAR

350 ZAR
630 ZAR

Soda
Soft Drink

5.2 ZAR

5.2 ZAR
5.2 ZAR

Cappuccino
or latte

42 ZAR

26 ZAR
63 ZAR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

31 ZAR

26 ZAR
35 ZAR

Loaf of
bread

4.5 ZAR

3.9 ZAR
5.2 ZAR

12
eggs

31 ZAR

26 ZAR
39 ZAR

Fresh whole
chicken

73 ZAR

57 ZAR
89 ZAR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

82 ZAR

69 ZAR
100 ZAR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

45 ZAR

39 ZAR
52 ZAR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

21 ZAR

17 ZAR
26 ZAR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

22 ZAR

20 ZAR
24 ZAR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

22 ZAR

19 ZAR
24 ZAR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

31 ZAR

26 ZAR
63 ZAR

Average car
full tank

210 ZAR

160 ZAR
420 ZAR

Average car
1-day rental

210 ZAR

160 ZAR
310 ZAR

Average car
price

160,000 ZAR

78,000 ZAR
210,000 ZAR

Bus ticket
one way

7.8 ZAR

5.2 ZAR
16 ZAR

Car
Service

310 ZAR

210 ZAR
630 ZAR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,500 ZAR

380 ZAR
3,200 ZAR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,900 ZAR

470 ZAR
3,800 ZAR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

3,000 ZAR

660 ZAR
3,400 ZAR

Internet
and cable

310 ZAR

160 ZAR
420 ZAR

Mobile phone
charges

210 ZAR

130 ZAR
630 ZAR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

100 ZAR

78 ZAR
160 ZAR

One month gym
membership

310 ZAR

250 ZAR
630 ZAR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

260 ZAR

180 ZAR
390 ZAR

Woman
dress

240 ZAR

170 ZAR
780 ZAR

Woman
shoes

220 ZAR

160 ZAR
520 ZAR

Men
shoes

170 ZAR

140 ZAR
350 ZAR

Men
suit

200 ZAR

160 ZAR
1,000 ZAR

Regular
t-shirt

100 ZAR

78 ZAR
310 ZAR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

3,900 ZAR

2,600 ZAR
10,000 ZAR

1-bedroom
apartment

6,300 ZAR

3,900 ZAR
16,000 ZAR

2-bedroom
apartment

7,800 ZAR

5,200 ZAR
21,000 ZAR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

780,000 ZAR

520,000 ZAR
1,600,000 ZAR

1-bedroom
apartment

1,000,000 ZAR

630,000 ZAR
3,900,000 ZAR

2-bedroom
apartment

3,100,000 ZAR

1,000,000 ZAR
6,300,000 ZAR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

3,900 ZAR

3,100 ZAR
5,200 ZAR

Double
Bed

3,100 ZAR

2,100 ZAR
3,900 ZAR

Single
Bed

2,400 ZAR

1,800 ZAR
3,100 ZAR

Living
Room

4,500 ZAR

3,500 ZAR
16,000 ZAR

Dining
Table

2,100 ZAR

1,600 ZAR
3,900 ZAR

Sofa
or Couch

2,800 ZAR

2,100 ZAR
6,300 ZAR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

3,100 ZAR

2,100 ZAR
6,300 ZAR

Fridge
or Freezer

2,800 ZAR

1,800 ZAR
3,900 ZAR

Washing
Machine

3,500 ZAR

2,400 ZAR
6,300 ZAR

Stove
or Cooker

2,800 ZAR

2,200 ZAR
3,900 ZAR

Mobile
Phone

3,100 ZAR

2,600 ZAR
4,500 ZAR

Laptop
or Computer

3,500 ZAR

2,800 ZAR
6,300 ZAR

How do people spend their money in South Africa?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in South Africa

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW2,300 ZAR
AVERAGE9,000 ZAR
HIGH19,000 ZAR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW380 ZAR
AVERAGE1,500 ZAR
HIGH3,200 ZAR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW500 ZAR
AVERAGE2,000 ZAR
HIGH4,300 ZAR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,000 ZAR
AVERAGE4,000 ZAR
HIGH8,500 ZAR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW560 ZAR
AVERAGE2,300 ZAR
HIGH4,800 ZAR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW310 ZAR
AVERAGE1,300 ZAR
HIGH2,700 ZAR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW130 ZAR
AVERAGE500 ZAR
HIGH1,100 ZAR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,100 ZAR
AVERAGE4,500 ZAR
HIGH9,600 ZAR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in South Africa

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW3,100 ZAR
AVERAGE15,000 ZAR
HIGH25,000 ZAR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW470 ZAR
AVERAGE1,900 ZAR
HIGH3,800 ZAR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,100 ZAR
AVERAGE5,600 ZAR
HIGH9,000 ZAR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,300 ZAR
AVERAGE6,600 ZAR
HIGH11,000 ZAR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,000 ZAR
AVERAGE5,200 ZAR
HIGH8,300 ZAR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW560 ZAR
AVERAGE2,800 ZAR
HIGH4,500 ZAR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW190 ZAR
AVERAGE940 ZAR
HIGH1,500 ZAR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,600 ZAR
AVERAGE8,000 ZAR
HIGH13,000 ZAR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in South Africa

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW7,000 ZAR
AVERAGE24,000 ZAR
HIGH36,000 ZAR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW660 ZAR
AVERAGE3,000 ZAR
HIGH3,400 ZAR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,800 ZAR
AVERAGE6,000 ZAR
HIGH9,000 ZAR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW3,900 ZAR
AVERAGE14,000 ZAR
HIGH20,000 ZAR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,800 ZAR
AVERAGE6,000 ZAR
HIGH9,000 ZAR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,100 ZAR
AVERAGE3,800 ZAR
HIGH5,600 ZAR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW3,100 ZAR
AVERAGE11,000 ZAR
HIGH16,000 ZAR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW2,600 ZAR
AVERAGE9,000 ZAR
HIGH14,000 ZAR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in South Africa

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW750 ZAR
AVERAGE4,500 ZAR
HIGH9,800 ZAR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW130 ZAR
AVERAGE750 ZAR
HIGH1,600 ZAR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW220 ZAR
AVERAGE1,300 ZAR
HIGH2,800 ZAR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW630 ZAR
AVERAGE3,800 ZAR
HIGH8,100 ZAR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW190 ZAR
AVERAGE1,100 ZAR
HIGH2,400 ZAR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW160 ZAR
AVERAGE940 ZAR
HIGH2,000 ZAR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW590 ZAR
AVERAGE3,600 ZAR
HIGH7,700 ZAR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW470 ZAR
AVERAGE2,800 ZAR
HIGH6,100 ZAR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in South Africa typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 13,000 ZAR with expenditure ranging from 3,300 ZAR and 22,000 ZAR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in South Africa ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,800 ZAR with 410 ZAR and 3,000 ZAR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 900 ZAR to 6,300 ZAR on commuting with 3,700 ZAR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in South Africa is 7,000 ZAR. The cost of groceries can range between 1,700 ZAR to 12,000 ZAR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in South Africa allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 880 ZAR to 6,100 ZAR with 3,600 ZAR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 530 ZAR to 3,700 ZAR with 2,200 ZAR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 3,900 ZAR per month with 990 ZAR being the minimum spent amount and 6,500 ZAR being the maximum.

©copound