Cost Of Living in Sri Lanka

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Sri Lanka

Whether you're living in Sri Lanka or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
72,000 LKR
average per month
18,000 LKR
Range
150,000 LKR

Couple
140,000 LKR
average per month
27,000 LKR
Range
220,000 LKR

Family
220,000 LKR
average per month
63,000 LKR
Range
320,000 LKR

Student
54,000 LKR
average per month
9,000 LKR
Range
120,000 LKR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Sri Lanka is 72,000 LKR. Expenses can range from 18,000 LKR at the minimum level to 150,000 LKR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Sri Lanka is 140,000 LKR. Expenditure can range from 27,000 LKR to 220,000 LKR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Sri Lanka is 220,000 LKR per month. Families spend anywhere from 63,000 LKR to 320,000 LKR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Sri Lanka is 54,000 LKR. Students spend from 9,000 LKR to 120,000 LKR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Sri Lanka

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

18 LKR

18 LKR
18 LKR

Fast food
combo meal

180 LKR

130 LKR
300 LKR

Restaurant
meal for one

600 LKR

470 LKR
750 LKR

Fine dining
meal for one

1,500 LKR

1,000 LKR
1,800 LKR

Soda
Soft Drink

15 LKR

15 LKR
15 LKR

Cappuccino
or latte

120 LKR

75 LKR
180 LKR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

90 LKR

75 LKR
100 LKR

Loaf of
bread

13 LKR

11 LKR
15 LKR

12
eggs

90 LKR

75 LKR
110 LKR

Fresh whole
chicken

210 LKR

160 LKR
260 LKR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

240 LKR

200 LKR
300 LKR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

130 LKR

110 LKR
150 LKR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

60 LKR

50 LKR
75 LKR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

64 LKR

56 LKR
69 LKR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

62 LKR

55 LKR
69 LKR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

90 LKR

75 LKR
180 LKR

Average car
full tank

600 LKR

450 LKR
1,200 LKR

Average car
1-day rental

600 LKR

450 LKR
900 LKR

Average car
price

450,000 LKR

230,000 LKR
600,000 LKR

Bus ticket
one way

23 LKR

15 LKR
45 LKR

Car
Service

900 LKR

600 LKR
1,800 LKR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

4,300 LKR

1,100 LKR
9,200 LKR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

5,400 LKR

1,400 LKR
11,000 LKR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

8,600 LKR

1,900 LKR
9,700 LKR

Internet
and cable

900 LKR

450 LKR
1,200 LKR

Mobile phone
charges

600 LKR

360 LKR
1,800 LKR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

300 LKR

230 LKR
450 LKR

One month gym
membership

900 LKR

720 LKR
1,800 LKR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

750 LKR

530 LKR
1,100 LKR

Woman
dress

690 LKR

500 LKR
2,300 LKR

Woman
shoes

640 LKR

470 LKR
1,500 LKR

Men
shoes

500 LKR

410 LKR
1,000 LKR

Men
suit

560 LKR

450 LKR
3,000 LKR

Regular
t-shirt

300 LKR

230 LKR
900 LKR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

11,000 LKR

7,500 LKR
30,000 LKR

1-bedroom
apartment

18,000 LKR

11,000 LKR
45,000 LKR

2-bedroom
apartment

23,000 LKR

15,000 LKR
60,000 LKR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

2,300,000 LKR

1,500,000 LKR
4,500,000 LKR

1-bedroom
apartment

3,000,000 LKR

1,800,000 LKR
11,000,000 LKR

2-bedroom
apartment

9,000,000 LKR

3,000,000 LKR
18,000,000 LKR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

11,000 LKR

9,000 LKR
15,000 LKR

Double
Bed

9,000 LKR

6,000 LKR
11,000 LKR

Single
Bed

6,900 LKR

5,300 LKR
9,000 LKR

Living
Room

13,000 LKR

10,000 LKR
45,000 LKR

Dining
Table

6,000 LKR

4,500 LKR
11,000 LKR

Sofa
or Couch

8,200 LKR

6,000 LKR
18,000 LKR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

9,000 LKR

6,000 LKR
18,000 LKR

Fridge
or Freezer

8,200 LKR

5,300 LKR
11,000 LKR

Washing
Machine

10,000 LKR

6,900 LKR
18,000 LKR

Stove
or Cooker

8,200 LKR

6,400 LKR
11,000 LKR

Mobile
Phone

9,000 LKR

7,500 LKR
13,000 LKR

Laptop
or Computer

10,000 LKR

8,200 LKR
18,000 LKR

How do people spend their money in Sri Lanka?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Sri Lanka

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW6,500 LKR
AVERAGE26,000 LKR
HIGH55,000 LKR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,100 LKR
AVERAGE4,300 LKR
HIGH9,200 LKR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW1,400 LKR
AVERAGE5,800 LKR
HIGH12,000 LKR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW2,900 LKR
AVERAGE12,000 LKR
HIGH25,000 LKR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,600 LKR
AVERAGE6,500 LKR
HIGH14,000 LKR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW900 LKR
AVERAGE3,600 LKR
HIGH7,700 LKR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW360 LKR
AVERAGE1,400 LKR
HIGH3,100 LKR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW3,200 LKR
AVERAGE13,000 LKR
HIGH28,000 LKR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Sri Lanka

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW8,900 LKR
AVERAGE45,000 LKR
HIGH71,000 LKR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW1,400 LKR
AVERAGE5,400 LKR
HIGH11,000 LKR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW3,200 LKR
AVERAGE16,000 LKR
HIGH26,000 LKR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW3,800 LKR
AVERAGE19,000 LKR
HIGH30,000 LKR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW3,000 LKR
AVERAGE15,000 LKR
HIGH24,000 LKR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW1,600 LKR
AVERAGE8,100 LKR
HIGH13,000 LKR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW540 LKR
AVERAGE2,700 LKR
HIGH4,300 LKR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW4,600 LKR
AVERAGE23,000 LKR
HIGH37,000 LKR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Sri Lanka

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW20,000 LKR
AVERAGE69,000 LKR
HIGH100,000 LKR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW1,900 LKR
AVERAGE8,600 LKR
HIGH9,700 LKR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW5,000 LKR
AVERAGE17,000 LKR
HIGH26,000 LKR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW11,000 LKR
AVERAGE39,000 LKR
HIGH58,000 LKR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW5,000 LKR
AVERAGE17,000 LKR
HIGH26,000 LKR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,200 LKR
AVERAGE11,000 LKR
HIGH16,000 LKR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW8,800 LKR
AVERAGE30,000 LKR
HIGH45,000 LKR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW7,600 LKR
AVERAGE26,000 LKR
HIGH39,000 LKR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Sri Lanka

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW2,200 LKR
AVERAGE13,000 LKR
HIGH28,000 LKR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW360 LKR
AVERAGE2,200 LKR
HIGH4,700 LKR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW630 LKR
AVERAGE3,800 LKR
HIGH8,200 LKR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW1,800 LKR
AVERAGE11,000 LKR
HIGH23,000 LKR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW540 LKR
AVERAGE3,200 LKR
HIGH7,000 LKR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW450 LKR
AVERAGE2,700 LKR
HIGH5,900 LKR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW1,700 LKR
AVERAGE10,000 LKR
HIGH22,000 LKR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW1,400 LKR
AVERAGE8,100 LKR
HIGH18,000 LKR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Sri Lanka typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 38,000 LKR with expenditure ranging from 9,400 LKR and 65,000 LKR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Sri Lanka ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 5,100 LKR with 1,200 LKR and 8,600 LKR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 2,600 LKR to 18,000 LKR on commuting with 11,000 LKR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Sri Lanka is 20,000 LKR. The cost of groceries can range between 5,000 LKR to 34,000 LKR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Sri Lanka allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 2,500 LKR to 18,000 LKR with 10,000 LKR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 1,500 LKR to 11,000 LKR with 6,300 LKR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 11,000 LKR per month with 2,900 LKR being the minimum spent amount and 19,000 LKR being the maximum.

©copound