Cost Of Living in Sudan

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Sudan

Whether you're living in Sudan or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
29,000 SDG
average per month
7,300 SDG
Range
62,000 SDG

Couple
55,000 SDG
average per month
11,000 SDG
Range
88,000 SDG

Family
88,000 SDG
average per month
26,000 SDG
Range
130,000 SDG

Student
22,000 SDG
average per month
3,700 SDG
Range
48,000 SDG
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Sudan is 29,000 SDG. Expenses can range from 7,300 SDG at the minimum level to 62,000 SDG at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Sudan is 55,000 SDG. Expenditure can range from 11,000 SDG to 88,000 SDG per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Sudan is 88,000 SDG per month. Families spend anywhere from 26,000 SDG to 130,000 SDG.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Sudan is 22,000 SDG. Students spend from 3,700 SDG to 48,000 SDG per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Sudan

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

7.3 SDG

7.3 SDG
7.3 SDG

Fast food
combo meal

73 SDG

52 SDG
120 SDG

Restaurant
meal for one

240 SDG

190 SDG
310 SDG

Fine dining
meal for one

610 SDG

410 SDG
730 SDG

Soda
Soft Drink

6.1 SDG

6.1 SDG
6.1 SDG

Cappuccino
or latte

49 SDG

31 SDG
73 SDG

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

37 SDG

31 SDG
41 SDG

Loaf of
bread

5.2 SDG

4.6 SDG
6.1 SDG

12
eggs

37 SDG

31 SDG
46 SDG

Fresh whole
chicken

85 SDG

67 SDG
100 SDG

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

96 SDG

81 SDG
120 SDG

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

52 SDG

46 SDG
61 SDG

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

24 SDG

20 SDG
31 SDG

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

26 SDG

23 SDG
28 SDG

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

25 SDG

22 SDG
28 SDG

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

37 SDG

31 SDG
73 SDG

Average car
full tank

240 SDG

180 SDG
490 SDG

Average car
1-day rental

240 SDG

180 SDG
370 SDG

Average car
price

180,000 SDG

92,000 SDG
240,000 SDG

Bus ticket
one way

9.2 SDG

6.1 SDG
18 SDG

Car
Service

370 SDG

240 SDG
730 SDG

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,800 SDG

440 SDG
3,700 SDG

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

2,200 SDG

550 SDG
4,400 SDG

Electricity
and water bill
Family

3,500 SDG

770 SDG
4,000 SDG

Internet
and cable

370 SDG

180 SDG
490 SDG

Mobile phone
charges

240 SDG

150 SDG
730 SDG

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

120 SDG

92 SDG
180 SDG

One month gym
membership

370 SDG

290 SDG
730 SDG

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

310 SDG

220 SDG
460 SDG

Woman
dress

280 SDG

200 SDG
920 SDG

Woman
shoes

260 SDG

190 SDG
610 SDG

Men
shoes

200 SDG

170 SDG
410 SDG

Men
suit

230 SDG

180 SDG
1,200 SDG

Regular
t-shirt

120 SDG

92 SDG
370 SDG

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

4,600 SDG

3,100 SDG
12,000 SDG

1-bedroom
apartment

7,300 SDG

4,600 SDG
18,000 SDG

2-bedroom
apartment

9,200 SDG

6,100 SDG
24,000 SDG

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

920,000 SDG

610,000 SDG
1,800,000 SDG

1-bedroom
apartment

1,200,000 SDG

730,000 SDG
4,600,000 SDG

2-bedroom
apartment

3,700,000 SDG

1,200,000 SDG
7,300,000 SDG

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

4,600 SDG

3,700 SDG
6,100 SDG

Double
Bed

3,700 SDG

2,400 SDG
4,600 SDG

Single
Bed

2,800 SDG

2,200 SDG
3,700 SDG

Living
Room

5,200 SDG

4,100 SDG
18,000 SDG

Dining
Table

2,400 SDG

1,800 SDG
4,600 SDG

Sofa
or Couch

3,300 SDG

2,400 SDG
7,300 SDG

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

3,700 SDG

2,400 SDG
7,300 SDG

Fridge
or Freezer

3,300 SDG

2,200 SDG
4,600 SDG

Washing
Machine

4,100 SDG

2,800 SDG
7,300 SDG

Stove
or Cooker

3,300 SDG

2,600 SDG
4,600 SDG

Mobile
Phone

3,700 SDG

3,100 SDG
5,200 SDG

Laptop
or Computer

4,100 SDG

3,300 SDG
7,300 SDG

How do people spend their money in Sudan?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Sudan

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW2,600 SDG
AVERAGE11,000 SDG
HIGH22,000 SDG
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW440 SDG
AVERAGE1,800 SDG
HIGH3,700 SDG
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW590 SDG
AVERAGE2,300 SDG
HIGH5,000 SDG
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,200 SDG
AVERAGE4,700 SDG
HIGH10,000 SDG
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW660 SDG
AVERAGE2,600 SDG
HIGH5,600 SDG
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW370 SDG
AVERAGE1,500 SDG
HIGH3,100 SDG
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW150 SDG
AVERAGE590 SDG
HIGH1,200 SDG
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,300 SDG
AVERAGE5,300 SDG
HIGH11,000 SDG
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Sudan

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW3,600 SDG
AVERAGE18,000 SDG
HIGH29,000 SDG
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW550 SDG
AVERAGE2,200 SDG
HIGH4,400 SDG
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,300 SDG
AVERAGE6,600 SDG
HIGH11,000 SDG
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,500 SDG
AVERAGE7,700 SDG
HIGH12,000 SDG
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,200 SDG
AVERAGE6,000 SDG
HIGH9,700 SDG
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW660 SDG
AVERAGE3,300 SDG
HIGH5,300 SDG
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW220 SDG
AVERAGE1,100 SDG
HIGH1,800 SDG
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,900 SDG
AVERAGE9,300 SDG
HIGH15,000 SDG
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Sudan

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW8,200 SDG
AVERAGE28,000 SDG
HIGH42,000 SDG
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW770 SDG
AVERAGE3,500 SDG
HIGH4,000 SDG
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW2,100 SDG
AVERAGE7,000 SDG
HIGH11,000 SDG
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW4,600 SDG
AVERAGE16,000 SDG
HIGH24,000 SDG
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW2,100 SDG
AVERAGE7,000 SDG
HIGH11,000 SDG
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,300 SDG
AVERAGE4,400 SDG
HIGH6,600 SDG
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW3,600 SDG
AVERAGE12,000 SDG
HIGH18,000 SDG
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW3,100 SDG
AVERAGE11,000 SDG
HIGH16,000 SDG
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Sudan

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW880 SDG
AVERAGE5,300 SDG
HIGH11,000 SDG
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW150 SDG
AVERAGE880 SDG
HIGH1,900 SDG
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW260 SDG
AVERAGE1,500 SDG
HIGH3,300 SDG
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW730 SDG
AVERAGE4,400 SDG
HIGH9,500 SDG
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW220 SDG
AVERAGE1,300 SDG
HIGH2,900 SDG
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW180 SDG
AVERAGE1,100 SDG
HIGH2,400 SDG
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW700 SDG
AVERAGE4,200 SDG
HIGH9,000 SDG
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW550 SDG
AVERAGE3,300 SDG
HIGH7,100 SDG
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Sudan typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 16,000 SDG with expenditure ranging from 3,800 SDG and 26,000 SDG. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Sudan ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 2,100 SDG with 480 SDG and 3,500 SDG being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 1,100 SDG to 7,400 SDG on commuting with 4,400 SDG being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Sudan is 8,100 SDG. The cost of groceries can range between 2,000 SDG to 14,000 SDG. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Sudan allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 1,000 SDG to 7,200 SDG with 4,300 SDG being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 620 SDG to 4,300 SDG with 2,600 SDG being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 4,500 SDG per month with 1,200 SDG being the minimum spent amount and 7,600 SDG being the maximum.

©copound