Cost Of Living in Suriname

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Suriname

Whether you're living in Suriname or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
4,100 SRD
average per month
1,000 SRD
Range
8,800 SRD

Couple
7,700 SRD
average per month
1,500 SRD
Range
12,000 SRD

Family
12,000 SRD
average per month
3,600 SRD
Range
19,000 SRD

Student
3,100 SRD
average per month
520 SRD
Range
6,700 SRD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Suriname is 4,100 SRD. Expenses can range from 1,000 SRD at the minimum level to 8,800 SRD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Suriname is 7,700 SRD. Expenditure can range from 1,500 SRD to 12,000 SRD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Suriname is 12,000 SRD per month. Families spend anywhere from 3,600 SRD to 19,000 SRD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Suriname is 3,100 SRD. Students spend from 520 SRD to 6,700 SRD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Suriname

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.0 SRD

1.0 SRD
1.0 SRD

Fast food
combo meal

10 SRD

7.4 SRD
17 SRD

Restaurant
meal for one

34 SRD

27 SRD
43 SRD

Fine dining
meal for one

86 SRD

57 SRD
100 SRD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.86 SRD

0.86 SRD
0.86 SRD

Cappuccino
or latte

6.9 SRD

4.3 SRD
10 SRD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

5.2 SRD

4.3 SRD
5.7 SRD

Loaf of
bread

0.74 SRD

0.64 SRD
0.86 SRD

12
eggs

5.2 SRD

4.3 SRD
6.5 SRD

Fresh whole
chicken

12 SRD

9.4 SRD
15 SRD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

14 SRD

11 SRD
17 SRD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

7.4 SRD

6.5 SRD
8.6 SRD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

3.4 SRD

2.9 SRD
4.3 SRD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

3.7 SRD

3.2 SRD
4.0 SRD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

3.6 SRD

3.1 SRD
4.0 SRD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

5.2 SRD

4.3 SRD
10 SRD

Average car
full tank

34 SRD

26 SRD
69 SRD

Average car
1-day rental

34 SRD

26 SRD
52 SRD

Average car
price

26,000 SRD

13,000 SRD
34,000 SRD

Bus ticket
one way

1.3 SRD

0.86 SRD
2.6 SRD

Car
Service

52 SRD

34 SRD
100 SRD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

250 SRD

62 SRD
530 SRD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

310 SRD

77 SRD
620 SRD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

500 SRD

110 SRD
560 SRD

Internet
and cable

52 SRD

26 SRD
69 SRD

Mobile phone
charges

34 SRD

21 SRD
100 SRD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

17 SRD

13 SRD
26 SRD

One month gym
membership

52 SRD

41 SRD
100 SRD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

43 SRD

30 SRD
64 SRD

Woman
dress

40 SRD

29 SRD
130 SRD

Woman
shoes

37 SRD

27 SRD
86 SRD

Men
shoes

29 SRD

23 SRD
57 SRD

Men
suit

32 SRD

26 SRD
170 SRD

Regular
t-shirt

17 SRD

13 SRD
52 SRD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

640 SRD

430 SRD
1,700 SRD

1-bedroom
apartment

1,000 SRD

640 SRD
2,600 SRD

2-bedroom
apartment

1,300 SRD

860 SRD
3,400 SRD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

130,000 SRD

86,000 SRD
260,000 SRD

1-bedroom
apartment

170,000 SRD

100,000 SRD
640,000 SRD

2-bedroom
apartment

520,000 SRD

170,000 SRD
1,000,000 SRD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

640 SRD

520 SRD
860 SRD

Double
Bed

520 SRD

340 SRD
640 SRD

Single
Bed

400 SRD

300 SRD
520 SRD

Living
Room

740 SRD

570 SRD
2,600 SRD

Dining
Table

340 SRD

260 SRD
640 SRD

Sofa
or Couch

470 SRD

340 SRD
1,000 SRD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

520 SRD

340 SRD
1,000 SRD

Fridge
or Freezer

470 SRD

300 SRD
640 SRD

Washing
Machine

570 SRD

400 SRD
1,000 SRD

Stove
or Cooker

470 SRD

370 SRD
640 SRD

Mobile
Phone

520 SRD

430 SRD
740 SRD

Laptop
or Computer

570 SRD

470 SRD
1,000 SRD

How do people spend their money in Suriname?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Suriname

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW370 SRD
AVERAGE1,500 SRD
HIGH3,200 SRD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW62 SRD
AVERAGE250 SRD
HIGH530 SRD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW83 SRD
AVERAGE330 SRD
HIGH700 SRD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW170 SRD
AVERAGE660 SRD
HIGH1,400 SRD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW93 SRD
AVERAGE370 SRD
HIGH790 SRD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW52 SRD
AVERAGE210 SRD
HIGH440 SRD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW21 SRD
AVERAGE83 SRD
HIGH180 SRD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW190 SRD
AVERAGE740 SRD
HIGH1,600 SRD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Suriname

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW510 SRD
AVERAGE2,600 SRD
HIGH4,100 SRD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW77 SRD
AVERAGE310 SRD
HIGH620 SRD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW190 SRD
AVERAGE930 SRD
HIGH1,500 SRD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW220 SRD
AVERAGE1,100 SRD
HIGH1,700 SRD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW170 SRD
AVERAGE850 SRD
HIGH1,400 SRD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW93 SRD
AVERAGE460 SRD
HIGH740 SRD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW31 SRD
AVERAGE150 SRD
HIGH250 SRD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW260 SRD
AVERAGE1,300 SRD
HIGH2,100 SRD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Suriname

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,200 SRD
AVERAGE4,000 SRD
HIGH5,900 SRD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW110 SRD
AVERAGE500 SRD
HIGH560 SRD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW290 SRD
AVERAGE990 SRD
HIGH1,500 SRD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW650 SRD
AVERAGE2,200 SRD
HIGH3,300 SRD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW290 SRD
AVERAGE990 SRD
HIGH1,500 SRD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW180 SRD
AVERAGE620 SRD
HIGH930 SRD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW510 SRD
AVERAGE1,700 SRD
HIGH2,600 SRD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW430 SRD
AVERAGE1,500 SRD
HIGH2,200 SRD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Suriname

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW120 SRD
AVERAGE740 SRD
HIGH1,600 SRD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW21 SRD
AVERAGE120 SRD
HIGH270 SRD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW36 SRD
AVERAGE220 SRD
HIGH470 SRD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW100 SRD
AVERAGE620 SRD
HIGH1,300 SRD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW31 SRD
AVERAGE190 SRD
HIGH400 SRD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW26 SRD
AVERAGE150 SRD
HIGH340 SRD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW98 SRD
AVERAGE590 SRD
HIGH1,300 SRD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW77 SRD
AVERAGE460 SRD
HIGH1,000 SRD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Suriname typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,200 SRD with expenditure ranging from 540 SRD and 3,700 SRD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Suriname ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 290 SRD with 67 SRD and 490 SRD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 150 SRD to 1,000 SRD on commuting with 620 SRD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Suriname is 1,100 SRD. The cost of groceries can range between 280 SRD to 2,000 SRD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Suriname allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 150 SRD to 1,000 SRD with 600 SRD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 88 SRD to 610 SRD with 360 SRD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 640 SRD per month with 160 SRD being the minimum spent amount and 1,100 SRD being the maximum.

©copound