Cost Of Living in Swaziland

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Swaziland

Whether you're living in Swaziland or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,600 SZL
average per month
900 SZL
Range
7,700 SZL

Couple
6,800 SZL
average per month
1,400 SZL
Range
11,000 SZL

Family
11,000 SZL
average per month
3,200 SZL
Range
16,000 SZL

Student
2,700 SZL
average per month
450 SZL
Range
5,900 SZL
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Swaziland is 3,600 SZL. Expenses can range from 900 SZL at the minimum level to 7,700 SZL at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Swaziland is 6,800 SZL. Expenditure can range from 1,400 SZL to 11,000 SZL per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Swaziland is 11,000 SZL per month. Families spend anywhere from 3,200 SZL to 16,000 SZL.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Swaziland is 2,700 SZL. Students spend from 450 SZL to 5,900 SZL per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Swaziland

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.90 SZL

0.90 SZL
0.90 SZL

Fast food
combo meal

9.1 SZL

6.5 SZL
15 SZL

Restaurant
meal for one

30 SZL

24 SZL
38 SZL

Fine dining
meal for one

75 SZL

50 SZL
90 SZL

Soda
Soft Drink

0.75 SZL

0.75 SZL
0.75 SZL

Cappuccino
or latte

6.0 SZL

3.8 SZL
9.1 SZL

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

4.5 SZL

3.8 SZL
5.0 SZL

Loaf of
bread

0.65 SZL

0.57 SZL
0.75 SZL

12
eggs

4.5 SZL

3.8 SZL
5.7 SZL

Fresh whole
chicken

11 SZL

8.2 SZL
13 SZL

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

12 SZL

10 SZL
15 SZL

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

6.5 SZL

5.7 SZL
7.5 SZL

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

3.0 SZL

2.5 SZL
3.8 SZL

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

3.2 SZL

2.8 SZL
3.5 SZL

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

3.1 SZL

2.7 SZL
3.5 SZL

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

4.5 SZL

3.8 SZL
9.1 SZL

Average car
full tank

30 SZL

23 SZL
60 SZL

Average car
1-day rental

30 SZL

23 SZL
45 SZL

Average car
price

23,000 SZL

11,000 SZL
30,000 SZL

Bus ticket
one way

1.1 SZL

0.75 SZL
2.3 SZL

Car
Service

45 SZL

30 SZL
90 SZL

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

220 SZL

54 SZL
460 SZL

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

270 SZL

68 SZL
540 SZL

Electricity
and water bill
Family

430 SZL

95 SZL
490 SZL

Internet
and cable

45 SZL

23 SZL
60 SZL

Mobile phone
charges

30 SZL

18 SZL
90 SZL

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

15 SZL

11 SZL
23 SZL

One month gym
membership

45 SZL

36 SZL
90 SZL

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

38 SZL

27 SZL
57 SZL

Woman
dress

35 SZL

25 SZL
110 SZL

Woman
shoes

32 SZL

24 SZL
75 SZL

Men
shoes

25 SZL

21 SZL
50 SZL

Men
suit

28 SZL

23 SZL
150 SZL

Regular
t-shirt

15 SZL

11 SZL
45 SZL

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

570 SZL

380 SZL
1,500 SZL

1-bedroom
apartment

900 SZL

570 SZL
2,300 SZL

2-bedroom
apartment

1,100 SZL

750 SZL
3,000 SZL

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

110,000 SZL

75,000 SZL
230,000 SZL

1-bedroom
apartment

150,000 SZL

90,000 SZL
570,000 SZL

2-bedroom
apartment

450,000 SZL

150,000 SZL
900,000 SZL

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

570 SZL

450 SZL
750 SZL

Double
Bed

450 SZL

300 SZL
570 SZL

Single
Bed

350 SZL

270 SZL
450 SZL

Living
Room

650 SZL

500 SZL
2,300 SZL

Dining
Table

300 SZL

230 SZL
570 SZL

Sofa
or Couch

410 SZL

300 SZL
900 SZL

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

450 SZL

300 SZL
900 SZL

Fridge
or Freezer

410 SZL

270 SZL
570 SZL

Washing
Machine

500 SZL

350 SZL
900 SZL

Stove
or Cooker

410 SZL

320 SZL
570 SZL

Mobile
Phone

450 SZL

380 SZL
650 SZL

Laptop
or Computer

500 SZL

410 SZL
900 SZL

How do people spend their money in Swaziland?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Swaziland

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW330 SZL
AVERAGE1,300 SZL
HIGH2,800 SZL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW54 SZL
AVERAGE220 SZL
HIGH460 SZL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW72 SZL
AVERAGE290 SZL
HIGH620 SZL
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW140 SZL
AVERAGE580 SZL
HIGH1,200 SZL
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW81 SZL
AVERAGE330 SZL
HIGH690 SZL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW45 SZL
AVERAGE180 SZL
HIGH380 SZL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW18 SZL
AVERAGE72 SZL
HIGH150 SZL
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW160 SZL
AVERAGE650 SZL
HIGH1,400 SZL
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Swaziland

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW450 SZL
AVERAGE2,200 SZL
HIGH3,600 SZL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW68 SZL
AVERAGE270 SZL
HIGH540 SZL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW160 SZL
AVERAGE810 SZL
HIGH1,300 SZL
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW190 SZL
AVERAGE950 SZL
HIGH1,500 SZL
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW150 SZL
AVERAGE750 SZL
HIGH1,200 SZL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW81 SZL
AVERAGE410 SZL
HIGH650 SZL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW27 SZL
AVERAGE140 SZL
HIGH220 SZL
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW230 SZL
AVERAGE1,200 SZL
HIGH1,800 SZL
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Swaziland

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,000 SZL
AVERAGE3,500 SZL
HIGH5,200 SZL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW95 SZL
AVERAGE430 SZL
HIGH490 SZL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW250 SZL
AVERAGE870 SZL
HIGH1,300 SZL
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW570 SZL
AVERAGE2,000 SZL
HIGH2,900 SZL
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW250 SZL
AVERAGE870 SZL
HIGH1,300 SZL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW160 SZL
AVERAGE540 SZL
HIGH810 SZL
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW440 SZL
AVERAGE1,500 SZL
HIGH2,300 SZL
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW380 SZL
AVERAGE1,300 SZL
HIGH2,000 SZL
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Swaziland

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW110 SZL
AVERAGE650 SZL
HIGH1,400 SZL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW18 SZL
AVERAGE110 SZL
HIGH240 SZL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW32 SZL
AVERAGE190 SZL
HIGH410 SZL
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW90 SZL
AVERAGE540 SZL
HIGH1,200 SZL
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW27 SZL
AVERAGE160 SZL
HIGH350 SZL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW23 SZL
AVERAGE140 SZL
HIGH290 SZL
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW86 SZL
AVERAGE520 SZL
HIGH1,100 SZL
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW68 SZL
AVERAGE410 SZL
HIGH880 SZL
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Swaziland typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,900 SZL with expenditure ranging from 470 SZL and 3,200 SZL. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Swaziland ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 260 SZL with 59 SZL and 430 SZL being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 130 SZL to 910 SZL on commuting with 540 SZL being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Swaziland is 1,000 SZL. The cost of groceries can range between 250 SZL to 1,700 SZL. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Swaziland allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 130 SZL to 890 SZL with 530 SZL being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 77 SZL to 540 SZL with 320 SZL being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 560 SZL per month with 140 SZL being the minimum spent amount and 940 SZL being the maximum.

©copound