Cost Of Living in Sweden

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Sweden

Whether you're living in Sweden or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
36,000 SEK
average per month
9,100 SEK
Range
77,000 SEK

Couple
68,000 SEK
average per month
14,000 SEK
Range
110,000 SEK

Family
110,000 SEK
average per month
32,000 SEK
Range
160,000 SEK

Student
27,000 SEK
average per month
4,500 SEK
Range
59,000 SEK
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Sweden is 36,000 SEK. Expenses can range from 9,100 SEK at the minimum level to 77,000 SEK at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Sweden is 68,000 SEK. Expenditure can range from 14,000 SEK to 110,000 SEK per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Sweden is 110,000 SEK per month. Families spend anywhere from 32,000 SEK to 160,000 SEK.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Sweden is 27,000 SEK. Students spend from 4,500 SEK to 59,000 SEK per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Sweden

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

9.1 SEK

9.1 SEK
9.1 SEK

Fast food
combo meal

91 SEK

65 SEK
150 SEK

Restaurant
meal for one

300 SEK

240 SEK
380 SEK

Fine dining
meal for one

750 SEK

500 SEK
910 SEK

Soda
Soft Drink

7.6 SEK

7.6 SEK
7.6 SEK

Cappuccino
or latte

60 SEK

38 SEK
91 SEK

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

45 SEK

38 SEK
50 SEK

Loaf of
bread

6.5 SEK

5.7 SEK
7.6 SEK

12
eggs

45 SEK

38 SEK
57 SEK

Fresh whole
chicken

110 SEK

82 SEK
130 SEK

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

120 SEK

100 SEK
150 SEK

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

65 SEK

57 SEK
75 SEK

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

30 SEK

25 SEK
38 SEK

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

32 SEK

28 SEK
35 SEK

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

31 SEK

27 SEK
35 SEK

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

45 SEK

38 SEK
91 SEK

Average car
full tank

300 SEK

230 SEK
600 SEK

Average car
1-day rental

300 SEK

230 SEK
450 SEK

Average car
price

230,000 SEK

110,000 SEK
300,000 SEK

Bus ticket
one way

11 SEK

7.6 SEK
23 SEK

Car
Service

450 SEK

300 SEK
910 SEK

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

2,200 SEK

540 SEK
4,600 SEK

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

2,700 SEK

680 SEK
5,400 SEK

Electricity
and water bill
Family

4,300 SEK

950 SEK
4,900 SEK

Internet
and cable

450 SEK

230 SEK
600 SEK

Mobile phone
charges

300 SEK

180 SEK
910 SEK

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

150 SEK

110 SEK
230 SEK

One month gym
membership

450 SEK

360 SEK
910 SEK

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

380 SEK

270 SEK
570 SEK

Woman
dress

350 SEK

250 SEK
1,100 SEK

Woman
shoes

320 SEK

240 SEK
750 SEK

Men
shoes

250 SEK

210 SEK
500 SEK

Men
suit

280 SEK

230 SEK
1,500 SEK

Regular
t-shirt

150 SEK

110 SEK
450 SEK

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

5,700 SEK

3,800 SEK
15,000 SEK

1-bedroom
apartment

9,100 SEK

5,700 SEK
23,000 SEK

2-bedroom
apartment

11,000 SEK

7,500 SEK
30,000 SEK

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

1,100,000 SEK

750,000 SEK
2,300,000 SEK

1-bedroom
apartment

1,500,000 SEK

910,000 SEK
5,700,000 SEK

2-bedroom
apartment

4,500,000 SEK

1,500,000 SEK
9,100,000 SEK

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

5,700 SEK

4,500 SEK
7,500 SEK

Double
Bed

4,500 SEK

3,000 SEK
5,700 SEK

Single
Bed

3,500 SEK

2,700 SEK
4,500 SEK

Living
Room

6,500 SEK

5,000 SEK
23,000 SEK

Dining
Table

3,000 SEK

2,300 SEK
5,700 SEK

Sofa
or Couch

4,100 SEK

3,000 SEK
9,100 SEK

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

4,500 SEK

3,000 SEK
9,100 SEK

Fridge
or Freezer

4,100 SEK

2,700 SEK
5,700 SEK

Washing
Machine

5,000 SEK

3,500 SEK
9,100 SEK

Stove
or Cooker

4,100 SEK

3,200 SEK
5,700 SEK

Mobile
Phone

4,500 SEK

3,800 SEK
6,500 SEK

Laptop
or Computer

5,000 SEK

4,100 SEK
9,100 SEK

How do people spend their money in Sweden?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Sweden

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW3,300 SEK
AVERAGE13,000 SEK
HIGH28,000 SEK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW540 SEK
AVERAGE2,200 SEK
HIGH4,600 SEK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW720 SEK
AVERAGE2,900 SEK
HIGH6,200 SEK
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,400 SEK
AVERAGE5,800 SEK
HIGH12,000 SEK
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW820 SEK
AVERAGE3,300 SEK
HIGH6,900 SEK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW450 SEK
AVERAGE1,800 SEK
HIGH3,800 SEK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW180 SEK
AVERAGE720 SEK
HIGH1,500 SEK
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,600 SEK
AVERAGE6,500 SEK
HIGH14,000 SEK
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Sweden

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW4,500 SEK
AVERAGE22,000 SEK
HIGH36,000 SEK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW680 SEK
AVERAGE2,700 SEK
HIGH5,400 SEK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,600 SEK
AVERAGE8,200 SEK
HIGH13,000 SEK
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,900 SEK
AVERAGE9,500 SEK
HIGH15,000 SEK
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,500 SEK
AVERAGE7,500 SEK
HIGH12,000 SEK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW820 SEK
AVERAGE4,100 SEK
HIGH6,500 SEK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW270 SEK
AVERAGE1,400 SEK
HIGH2,200 SEK
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW2,300 SEK
AVERAGE12,000 SEK
HIGH18,000 SEK
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Sweden

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW10,000 SEK
AVERAGE35,000 SEK
HIGH52,000 SEK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW950 SEK
AVERAGE4,300 SEK
HIGH4,900 SEK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW2,500 SEK
AVERAGE8,700 SEK
HIGH13,000 SEK
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW5,700 SEK
AVERAGE20,000 SEK
HIGH29,000 SEK
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW2,500 SEK
AVERAGE8,700 SEK
HIGH13,000 SEK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,600 SEK
AVERAGE5,400 SEK
HIGH8,200 SEK
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW4,400 SEK
AVERAGE15,000 SEK
HIGH23,000 SEK
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW3,800 SEK
AVERAGE13,000 SEK
HIGH20,000 SEK
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Sweden

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW1,100 SEK
AVERAGE6,500 SEK
HIGH14,000 SEK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW180 SEK
AVERAGE1,100 SEK
HIGH2,400 SEK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW320 SEK
AVERAGE1,900 SEK
HIGH4,100 SEK
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW910 SEK
AVERAGE5,400 SEK
HIGH12,000 SEK
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW270 SEK
AVERAGE1,600 SEK
HIGH3,500 SEK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW230 SEK
AVERAGE1,400 SEK
HIGH2,900 SEK
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW860 SEK
AVERAGE5,200 SEK
HIGH11,000 SEK
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW680 SEK
AVERAGE4,100 SEK
HIGH8,800 SEK
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Sweden typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 19,000 SEK with expenditure ranging from 4,700 SEK and 32,000 SEK. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Sweden ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 2,600 SEK with 590 SEK and 4,300 SEK being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 1,300 SEK to 9,100 SEK on commuting with 5,400 SEK being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Sweden is 10,000 SEK. The cost of groceries can range between 2,500 SEK to 17,000 SEK. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Sweden allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 1,300 SEK to 8,900 SEK with 5,300 SEK being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 770 SEK to 5,400 SEK with 3,200 SEK being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 5,600 SEK per month with 1,400 SEK being the minimum spent amount and 9,400 SEK being the maximum.

©copound