Cost Of Living in Switzerland

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Switzerland

Whether you're living in Switzerland or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
8,300 CHF
average per month
2,100 CHF
Range
18,000 CHF

Couple
16,000 CHF
average per month
3,100 CHF
Range
25,000 CHF

Family
25,000 CHF
average per month
7,300 CHF
Range
37,000 CHF

Student
6,200 CHF
average per month
1,000 CHF
Range
13,000 CHF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Switzerland is 8,300 CHF. Expenses can range from 2,100 CHF at the minimum level to 18,000 CHF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Switzerland is 16,000 CHF. Expenditure can range from 3,100 CHF to 25,000 CHF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Switzerland is 25,000 CHF per month. Families spend anywhere from 7,300 CHF to 37,000 CHF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Switzerland is 6,200 CHF. Students spend from 1,000 CHF to 13,000 CHF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Switzerland

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

2.1 CHF

2.1 CHF
2.1 CHF

Fast food
combo meal

21 CHF

15 CHF
35 CHF

Restaurant
meal for one

69 CHF

55 CHF
86 CHF

Fine dining
meal for one

170 CHF

120 CHF
210 CHF

Soda
Soft Drink

1.7 CHF

1.7 CHF
1.7 CHF

Cappuccino
or latte

14 CHF

8.6 CHF
21 CHF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

10 CHF

8.6 CHF
12 CHF

Loaf of
bread

1.5 CHF

1.3 CHF
1.7 CHF

12
eggs

10 CHF

8.6 CHF
13 CHF

Fresh whole
chicken

24 CHF

19 CHF
30 CHF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

27 CHF

23 CHF
35 CHF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

15 CHF

13 CHF
17 CHF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

6.9 CHF

5.8 CHF
8.6 CHF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

7.4 CHF

6.5 CHF
8.0 CHF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

7.1 CHF

6.3 CHF
8.0 CHF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

10 CHF

8.6 CHF
21 CHF

Average car
full tank

69 CHF

52 CHF
140 CHF

Average car
1-day rental

69 CHF

52 CHF
100 CHF

Average car
price

52,000 CHF

26,000 CHF
69,000 CHF

Bus ticket
one way

2.6 CHF

1.7 CHF
5.2 CHF

Car
Service

100 CHF

69 CHF
210 CHF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

500 CHF

120 CHF
1,100 CHF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

620 CHF

160 CHF
1,200 CHF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

990 CHF

220 CHF
1,100 CHF

Internet
and cable

100 CHF

52 CHF
140 CHF

Mobile phone
charges

69 CHF

41 CHF
210 CHF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

35 CHF

26 CHF
52 CHF

One month gym
membership

100 CHF

83 CHF
210 CHF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

86 CHF

61 CHF
130 CHF

Woman
dress

80 CHF

58 CHF
260 CHF

Woman
shoes

74 CHF

55 CHF
170 CHF

Men
shoes

58 CHF

47 CHF
120 CHF

Men
suit

65 CHF

52 CHF
350 CHF

Regular
t-shirt

35 CHF

26 CHF
100 CHF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,300 CHF

860 CHF
3,500 CHF

1-bedroom
apartment

2,100 CHF

1,300 CHF
5,200 CHF

2-bedroom
apartment

2,600 CHF

1,700 CHF
6,900 CHF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

260,000 CHF

170,000 CHF
520,000 CHF

1-bedroom
apartment

350,000 CHF

210,000 CHF
1,300,000 CHF

2-bedroom
apartment

1,000,000 CHF

350,000 CHF
2,100,000 CHF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,300 CHF

1,000 CHF
1,700 CHF

Double
Bed

1,000 CHF

690 CHF
1,300 CHF

Single
Bed

800 CHF

610 CHF
1,000 CHF

Living
Room

1,500 CHF

1,200 CHF
5,200 CHF

Dining
Table

690 CHF

520 CHF
1,300 CHF

Sofa
or Couch

940 CHF

690 CHF
2,100 CHF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,000 CHF

690 CHF
2,100 CHF

Fridge
or Freezer

940 CHF

610 CHF
1,300 CHF

Washing
Machine

1,200 CHF

800 CHF
2,100 CHF

Stove
or Cooker

940 CHF

740 CHF
1,300 CHF

Mobile
Phone

1,000 CHF

860 CHF
1,500 CHF

Laptop
or Computer

1,200 CHF

940 CHF
2,100 CHF

How do people spend their money in Switzerland?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Switzerland

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW750 CHF
AVERAGE3,000 CHF
HIGH6,300 CHF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW120 CHF
AVERAGE500 CHF
HIGH1,100 CHF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW170 CHF
AVERAGE660 CHF
HIGH1,400 CHF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW330 CHF
AVERAGE1,300 CHF
HIGH2,800 CHF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW190 CHF
AVERAGE750 CHF
HIGH1,600 CHF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW100 CHF
AVERAGE410 CHF
HIGH880 CHF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW41 CHF
AVERAGE170 CHF
HIGH350 CHF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW370 CHF
AVERAGE1,500 CHF
HIGH3,200 CHF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Switzerland

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,000 CHF
AVERAGE5,100 CHF
HIGH8,200 CHF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW160 CHF
AVERAGE620 CHF
HIGH1,200 CHF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW370 CHF
AVERAGE1,900 CHF
HIGH3,000 CHF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW440 CHF
AVERAGE2,200 CHF
HIGH3,500 CHF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW340 CHF
AVERAGE1,700 CHF
HIGH2,700 CHF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW190 CHF
AVERAGE930 CHF
HIGH1,500 CHF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW62 CHF
AVERAGE310 CHF
HIGH500 CHF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW530 CHF
AVERAGE2,600 CHF
HIGH4,200 CHF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Switzerland

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW2,300 CHF
AVERAGE8,000 CHF
HIGH12,000 CHF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW220 CHF
AVERAGE990 CHF
HIGH1,100 CHF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW580 CHF
AVERAGE2,000 CHF
HIGH3,000 CHF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,300 CHF
AVERAGE4,500 CHF
HIGH6,700 CHF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW580 CHF
AVERAGE2,000 CHF
HIGH3,000 CHF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW360 CHF
AVERAGE1,200 CHF
HIGH1,900 CHF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,000 CHF
AVERAGE3,500 CHF
HIGH5,200 CHF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW870 CHF
AVERAGE3,000 CHF
HIGH4,500 CHF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Switzerland

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW250 CHF
AVERAGE1,500 CHF
HIGH3,200 CHF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW41 CHF
AVERAGE250 CHF
HIGH540 CHF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW73 CHF
AVERAGE440 CHF
HIGH940 CHF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW210 CHF
AVERAGE1,200 CHF
HIGH2,700 CHF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW62 CHF
AVERAGE370 CHF
HIGH810 CHF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW52 CHF
AVERAGE310 CHF
HIGH670 CHF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW200 CHF
AVERAGE1,200 CHF
HIGH2,600 CHF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW160 CHF
AVERAGE930 CHF
HIGH2,000 CHF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Switzerland typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 4,400 CHF with expenditure ranging from 1,100 CHF and 7,400 CHF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Switzerland ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 590 CHF with 130 CHF and 990 CHF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 300 CHF to 2,100 CHF on commuting with 1,200 CHF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Switzerland is 2,300 CHF. The cost of groceries can range between 570 CHF to 3,900 CHF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Switzerland allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 290 CHF to 2,000 CHF with 1,200 CHF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 180 CHF to 1,200 CHF with 730 CHF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,300 CHF per month with 330 CHF being the minimum spent amount and 2,200 CHF being the maximum.

©copound