Cost Of Living in Syria

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Syria

Whether you're living in Syria or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
120,000 SYP
average per month
30,000 SYP
Range
250,000 SYP

Couple
220,000 SYP
average per month
45,000 SYP
Range
360,000 SYP

Family
360,000 SYP
average per month
100,000 SYP
Range
540,000 SYP

Student
89,000 SYP
average per month
15,000 SYP
Range
190,000 SYP
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Syria is 120,000 SYP. Expenses can range from 30,000 SYP at the minimum level to 250,000 SYP at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Syria is 220,000 SYP. Expenditure can range from 45,000 SYP to 360,000 SYP per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Syria is 360,000 SYP per month. Families spend anywhere from 100,000 SYP to 540,000 SYP.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Syria is 89,000 SYP. Students spend from 15,000 SYP to 190,000 SYP per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Syria

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

30 SYP

30 SYP
30 SYP

Fast food
combo meal

300 SYP

210 SYP
500 SYP

Restaurant
meal for one

990 SYP

780 SYP
1,200 SYP

Fine dining
meal for one

2,500 SYP

1,700 SYP
3,000 SYP

Soda
Soft Drink

25 SYP

25 SYP
25 SYP

Cappuccino
or latte

200 SYP

120 SYP
300 SYP

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

150 SYP

120 SYP
170 SYP

Loaf of
bread

21 SYP

19 SYP
25 SYP

12
eggs

150 SYP

120 SYP
190 SYP

Fresh whole
chicken

350 SYP

270 SYP
430 SYP

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

390 SYP

330 SYP
500 SYP

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

210 SYP

190 SYP
250 SYP

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

99 SYP

83 SYP
120 SYP

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

110 SYP

93 SYP
110 SYP

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

100 SYP

90 SYP
110 SYP

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

150 SYP

120 SYP
300 SYP

Average car
full tank

990 SYP

750 SYP
2,000 SYP

Average car
1-day rental

990 SYP

750 SYP
1,500 SYP

Average car
price

750,000 SYP

370,000 SYP
990,000 SYP

Bus ticket
one way

37 SYP

25 SYP
75 SYP

Car
Service

1,500 SYP

990 SYP
3,000 SYP

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

7,200 SYP

1,800 SYP
15,000 SYP

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

8,900 SYP

2,200 SYP
18,000 SYP

Electricity
and water bill
Family

14,000 SYP

3,100 SYP
16,000 SYP

Internet
and cable

1,500 SYP

750 SYP
2,000 SYP

Mobile phone
charges

990 SYP

600 SYP
3,000 SYP

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

500 SYP

370 SYP
750 SYP

One month gym
membership

1,500 SYP

1,200 SYP
3,000 SYP

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

1,200 SYP

880 SYP
1,900 SYP

Woman
dress

1,100 SYP

830 SYP
3,700 SYP

Woman
shoes

1,100 SYP

780 SYP
2,500 SYP

Men
shoes

830 SYP

680 SYP
1,700 SYP

Men
suit

930 SYP

750 SYP
5,000 SYP

Regular
t-shirt

500 SYP

370 SYP
1,500 SYP

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

19,000 SYP

12,000 SYP
50,000 SYP

1-bedroom
apartment

30,000 SYP

19,000 SYP
75,000 SYP

2-bedroom
apartment

37,000 SYP

25,000 SYP
99,000 SYP

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

3,700,000 SYP

2,500,000 SYP
7,500,000 SYP

1-bedroom
apartment

5,000,000 SYP

3,000,000 SYP
19,000,000 SYP

2-bedroom
apartment

15,000,000 SYP

5,000,000 SYP
30,000,000 SYP

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

19,000 SYP

15,000 SYP
25,000 SYP

Double
Bed

15,000 SYP

9,900 SYP
19,000 SYP

Single
Bed

11,000 SYP

8,800 SYP
15,000 SYP

Living
Room

21,000 SYP

17,000 SYP
75,000 SYP

Dining
Table

9,900 SYP

7,500 SYP
19,000 SYP

Sofa
or Couch

14,000 SYP

9,900 SYP
30,000 SYP

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

15,000 SYP

9,900 SYP
30,000 SYP

Fridge
or Freezer

14,000 SYP

8,800 SYP
19,000 SYP

Washing
Machine

17,000 SYP

11,000 SYP
30,000 SYP

Stove
or Cooker

14,000 SYP

11,000 SYP
19,000 SYP

Mobile
Phone

15,000 SYP

12,000 SYP
21,000 SYP

Laptop
or Computer

17,000 SYP

14,000 SYP
30,000 SYP

How do people spend their money in Syria?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Syria

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW11,000 SYP
AVERAGE43,000 SYP
HIGH91,000 SYP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,800 SYP
AVERAGE7,200 SYP
HIGH15,000 SYP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW2,400 SYP
AVERAGE9,500 SYP
HIGH20,000 SYP
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW4,800 SYP
AVERAGE19,000 SYP
HIGH41,000 SYP
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW2,700 SYP
AVERAGE11,000 SYP
HIGH23,000 SYP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,500 SYP
AVERAGE6,000 SYP
HIGH13,000 SYP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW600 SYP
AVERAGE2,400 SYP
HIGH5,100 SYP
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW5,400 SYP
AVERAGE21,000 SYP
HIGH46,000 SYP
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Syria

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW15,000 SYP
AVERAGE74,000 SYP
HIGH120,000 SYP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW2,200 SYP
AVERAGE8,900 SYP
HIGH18,000 SYP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW5,400 SYP
AVERAGE27,000 SYP
HIGH43,000 SYP
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW6,300 SYP
AVERAGE31,000 SYP
HIGH50,000 SYP
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW4,900 SYP
AVERAGE25,000 SYP
HIGH39,000 SYP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW2,700 SYP
AVERAGE13,000 SYP
HIGH21,000 SYP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW890 SYP
AVERAGE4,500 SYP
HIGH7,200 SYP
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW7,600 SYP
AVERAGE38,000 SYP
HIGH61,000 SYP
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Syria

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW33,000 SYP
AVERAGE110,000 SYP
HIGH170,000 SYP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW3,100 SYP
AVERAGE14,000 SYP
HIGH16,000 SYP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW8,300 SYP
AVERAGE29,000 SYP
HIGH43,000 SYP
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW19,000 SYP
AVERAGE64,000 SYP
HIGH97,000 SYP
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW8,300 SYP
AVERAGE29,000 SYP
HIGH43,000 SYP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW5,200 SYP
AVERAGE18,000 SYP
HIGH27,000 SYP
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW15,000 SYP
AVERAGE50,000 SYP
HIGH75,000 SYP
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW13,000 SYP
AVERAGE43,000 SYP
HIGH64,000 SYP
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Syria

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW3,600 SYP
AVERAGE21,000 SYP
HIGH47,000 SYP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW600 SYP
AVERAGE3,600 SYP
HIGH7,800 SYP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW1,000 SYP
AVERAGE6,300 SYP
HIGH14,000 SYP
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW3,000 SYP
AVERAGE18,000 SYP
HIGH39,000 SYP
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW890 SYP
AVERAGE5,400 SYP
HIGH12,000 SYP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW750 SYP
AVERAGE4,500 SYP
HIGH9,700 SYP
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW2,800 SYP
AVERAGE17,000 SYP
HIGH37,000 SYP
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW2,200 SYP
AVERAGE13,000 SYP
HIGH29,000 SYP
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Syria typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 63,000 SYP with expenditure ranging from 16,000 SYP and 110,000 SYP. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Syria ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 8,500 SYP with 1,900 SYP and 14,000 SYP being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 4,300 SYP to 30,000 SYP on commuting with 18,000 SYP being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Syria is 33,000 SYP. The cost of groceries can range between 8,200 SYP to 57,000 SYP. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Syria allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 4,200 SYP to 29,000 SYP with 17,000 SYP being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 2,500 SYP to 18,000 SYP with 10,000 SYP being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 18,000 SYP per month with 4,700 SYP being the minimum spent amount and 31,000 SYP being the maximum.

©copound