Cost Of Living in Taiwan

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Taiwan

Whether you're living in Taiwan or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
100,000 TWD
average per month
26,000 TWD
Range
220,000 TWD

Couple
190,000 TWD
average per month
39,000 TWD
Range
310,000 TWD

Family
310,000 TWD
average per month
91,000 TWD
Range
470,000 TWD

Student
78,000 TWD
average per month
13,000 TWD
Range
170,000 TWD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Taiwan is 100,000 TWD. Expenses can range from 26,000 TWD at the minimum level to 220,000 TWD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Taiwan is 190,000 TWD. Expenditure can range from 39,000 TWD to 310,000 TWD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Taiwan is 310,000 TWD per month. Families spend anywhere from 91,000 TWD to 470,000 TWD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Taiwan is 78,000 TWD. Students spend from 13,000 TWD to 170,000 TWD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Taiwan

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

26 TWD

26 TWD
26 TWD

Fast food
combo meal

260 TWD

190 TWD
430 TWD

Restaurant
meal for one

870 TWD

680 TWD
1,100 TWD

Fine dining
meal for one

2,200 TWD

1,400 TWD
2,600 TWD

Soda
Soft Drink

22 TWD

22 TWD
22 TWD

Cappuccino
or latte

170 TWD

110 TWD
260 TWD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

130 TWD

110 TWD
140 TWD

Loaf of
bread

19 TWD

16 TWD
22 TWD

12
eggs

130 TWD

110 TWD
160 TWD

Fresh whole
chicken

300 TWD

240 TWD
370 TWD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

340 TWD

290 TWD
430 TWD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

190 TWD

160 TWD
220 TWD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

87 TWD

72 TWD
110 TWD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

93 TWD

81 TWD
100 TWD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

90 TWD

79 TWD
100 TWD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

130 TWD

110 TWD
260 TWD

Average car
full tank

870 TWD

650 TWD
1,700 TWD

Average car
1-day rental

870 TWD

650 TWD
1,300 TWD

Average car
price

650,000 TWD

320,000 TWD
870,000 TWD

Bus ticket
one way

32 TWD

22 TWD
65 TWD

Car
Service

1,300 TWD

870 TWD
2,600 TWD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

6,200 TWD

1,600 TWD
13,000 TWD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

7,800 TWD

1,900 TWD
16,000 TWD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

12,000 TWD

2,700 TWD
14,000 TWD

Internet
and cable

1,300 TWD

650 TWD
1,700 TWD

Mobile phone
charges

870 TWD

520 TWD
2,600 TWD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

430 TWD

320 TWD
650 TWD

One month gym
membership

1,300 TWD

1,000 TWD
2,600 TWD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

1,100 TWD

760 TWD
1,600 TWD

Woman
dress

1,000 TWD

720 TWD
3,200 TWD

Woman
shoes

930 TWD

680 TWD
2,200 TWD

Men
shoes

720 TWD

590 TWD
1,400 TWD

Men
suit

810 TWD

650 TWD
4,300 TWD

Regular
t-shirt

430 TWD

320 TWD
1,300 TWD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

16,000 TWD

11,000 TWD
43,000 TWD

1-bedroom
apartment

26,000 TWD

16,000 TWD
65,000 TWD

2-bedroom
apartment

32,000 TWD

22,000 TWD
87,000 TWD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

3,200,000 TWD

2,200,000 TWD
6,500,000 TWD

1-bedroom
apartment

4,300,000 TWD

2,600,000 TWD
16,000,000 TWD

2-bedroom
apartment

13,000,000 TWD

4,300,000 TWD
26,000,000 TWD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

16,000 TWD

13,000 TWD
22,000 TWD

Double
Bed

13,000 TWD

8,700 TWD
16,000 TWD

Single
Bed

10,000 TWD

7,600 TWD
13,000 TWD

Living
Room

19,000 TWD

14,000 TWD
65,000 TWD

Dining
Table

8,700 TWD

6,500 TWD
16,000 TWD

Sofa
or Couch

12,000 TWD

8,700 TWD
26,000 TWD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

13,000 TWD

8,700 TWD
26,000 TWD

Fridge
or Freezer

12,000 TWD

7,600 TWD
16,000 TWD

Washing
Machine

14,000 TWD

10,000 TWD
26,000 TWD

Stove
or Cooker

12,000 TWD

9,300 TWD
16,000 TWD

Mobile
Phone

13,000 TWD

11,000 TWD
19,000 TWD

Laptop
or Computer

14,000 TWD

12,000 TWD
26,000 TWD

How do people spend their money in Taiwan?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Taiwan

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW9,300 TWD
AVERAGE37,000 TWD
HIGH79,000 TWD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,600 TWD
AVERAGE6,200 TWD
HIGH13,000 TWD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW2,100 TWD
AVERAGE8,300 TWD
HIGH18,000 TWD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW4,200 TWD
AVERAGE17,000 TWD
HIGH35,000 TWD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW2,300 TWD
AVERAGE9,300 TWD
HIGH20,000 TWD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,300 TWD
AVERAGE5,200 TWD
HIGH11,000 TWD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW520 TWD
AVERAGE2,100 TWD
HIGH4,400 TWD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW4,700 TWD
AVERAGE19,000 TWD
HIGH40,000 TWD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Taiwan

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW13,000 TWD
AVERAGE64,000 TWD
HIGH100,000 TWD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW1,900 TWD
AVERAGE7,800 TWD
HIGH16,000 TWD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW4,700 TWD
AVERAGE23,000 TWD
HIGH37,000 TWD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW5,500 TWD
AVERAGE27,000 TWD
HIGH44,000 TWD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW4,300 TWD
AVERAGE21,000 TWD
HIGH34,000 TWD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW2,300 TWD
AVERAGE12,000 TWD
HIGH19,000 TWD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW780 TWD
AVERAGE3,900 TWD
HIGH6,200 TWD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW6,600 TWD
AVERAGE33,000 TWD
HIGH53,000 TWD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Taiwan

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW29,000 TWD
AVERAGE100,000 TWD
HIGH150,000 TWD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW2,700 TWD
AVERAGE12,000 TWD
HIGH14,000 TWD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW7,300 TWD
AVERAGE25,000 TWD
HIGH37,000 TWD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW16,000 TWD
AVERAGE56,000 TWD
HIGH84,000 TWD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW7,300 TWD
AVERAGE25,000 TWD
HIGH37,000 TWD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW4,500 TWD
AVERAGE16,000 TWD
HIGH23,000 TWD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW13,000 TWD
AVERAGE44,000 TWD
HIGH65,000 TWD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW11,000 TWD
AVERAGE37,000 TWD
HIGH56,000 TWD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Taiwan

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW3,100 TWD
AVERAGE19,000 TWD
HIGH40,000 TWD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW520 TWD
AVERAGE3,100 TWD
HIGH6,700 TWD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW910 TWD
AVERAGE5,500 TWD
HIGH12,000 TWD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW2,600 TWD
AVERAGE16,000 TWD
HIGH34,000 TWD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW780 TWD
AVERAGE4,700 TWD
HIGH10,000 TWD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW650 TWD
AVERAGE3,900 TWD
HIGH8,400 TWD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW2,500 TWD
AVERAGE15,000 TWD
HIGH32,000 TWD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW1,900 TWD
AVERAGE12,000 TWD
HIGH25,000 TWD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Taiwan typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 55,000 TWD with expenditure ranging from 14,000 TWD and 93,000 TWD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Taiwan ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 7,400 TWD with 1,700 TWD and 12,000 TWD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 3,700 TWD to 26,000 TWD on commuting with 16,000 TWD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Taiwan is 29,000 TWD. The cost of groceries can range between 7,100 TWD to 49,000 TWD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Taiwan allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 3,700 TWD to 25,000 TWD with 15,000 TWD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 2,200 TWD to 15,000 TWD with 9,100 TWD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 16,000 TWD per month with 4,100 TWD being the minimum spent amount and 27,000 TWD being the maximum.

©copound