Cost Of Living in Tajikistan

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Tajikistan

Whether you're living in Tajikistan or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
9,400 TJS
average per month
2,300 TJS
Range
20,000 TJS

Couple
18,000 TJS
average per month
3,500 TJS
Range
28,000 TJS

Family
28,000 TJS
average per month
8,200 TJS
Range
42,000 TJS

Student
7,000 TJS
average per month
1,200 TJS
Range
15,000 TJS
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Tajikistan is 9,400 TJS. Expenses can range from 2,300 TJS at the minimum level to 20,000 TJS at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Tajikistan is 18,000 TJS. Expenditure can range from 3,500 TJS to 28,000 TJS per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Tajikistan is 28,000 TJS per month. Families spend anywhere from 8,200 TJS to 42,000 TJS.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Tajikistan is 7,000 TJS. Students spend from 1,200 TJS to 15,000 TJS per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Tajikistan

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

2.3 TJS

2.3 TJS
2.3 TJS

Fast food
combo meal

23 TJS

17 TJS
39 TJS

Restaurant
meal for one

78 TJS

62 TJS
97 TJS

Fine dining
meal for one

190 TJS

130 TJS
230 TJS

Soda
Soft Drink

2.0 TJS

2.0 TJS
2.0 TJS

Cappuccino
or latte

16 TJS

9.7 TJS
23 TJS

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

12 TJS

9.7 TJS
13 TJS

Loaf of
bread

1.7 TJS

1.5 TJS
2.0 TJS

12
eggs

12 TJS

9.7 TJS
15 TJS

Fresh whole
chicken

27 TJS

21 TJS
33 TJS

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

31 TJS

26 TJS
39 TJS

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

17 TJS

15 TJS
19 TJS

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

7.8 TJS

6.5 TJS
9.7 TJS

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

8.4 TJS

7.3 TJS
9.0 TJS

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

8.1 TJS

7.1 TJS
9.0 TJS

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

12 TJS

9.7 TJS
23 TJS

Average car
full tank

78 TJS

58 TJS
160 TJS

Average car
1-day rental

78 TJS

58 TJS
120 TJS

Average car
price

58,000 TJS

29,000 TJS
78,000 TJS

Bus ticket
one way

2.9 TJS

2.0 TJS
5.9 TJS

Car
Service

120 TJS

78 TJS
230 TJS

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

560 TJS

140 TJS
1,200 TJS

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

700 TJS

180 TJS
1,400 TJS

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,100 TJS

250 TJS
1,300 TJS

Internet
and cable

120 TJS

58 TJS
160 TJS

Mobile phone
charges

78 TJS

47 TJS
230 TJS

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

39 TJS

29 TJS
58 TJS

One month gym
membership

120 TJS

94 TJS
230 TJS

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

97 TJS

69 TJS
150 TJS

Woman
dress

90 TJS

65 TJS
290 TJS

Woman
shoes

84 TJS

62 TJS
190 TJS

Men
shoes

65 TJS

53 TJS
130 TJS

Men
suit

73 TJS

58 TJS
390 TJS

Regular
t-shirt

39 TJS

29 TJS
120 TJS

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,500 TJS

970 TJS
3,900 TJS

1-bedroom
apartment

2,300 TJS

1,500 TJS
5,800 TJS

2-bedroom
apartment

2,900 TJS

1,900 TJS
7,800 TJS

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

290,000 TJS

190,000 TJS
580,000 TJS

1-bedroom
apartment

390,000 TJS

230,000 TJS
1,500,000 TJS

2-bedroom
apartment

1,200,000 TJS

390,000 TJS
2,300,000 TJS

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,500 TJS

1,200 TJS
1,900 TJS

Double
Bed

1,200 TJS

780 TJS
1,500 TJS

Single
Bed

900 TJS

690 TJS
1,200 TJS

Living
Room

1,700 TJS

1,300 TJS
5,800 TJS

Dining
Table

780 TJS

580 TJS
1,500 TJS

Sofa
or Couch

1,100 TJS

780 TJS
2,300 TJS

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,200 TJS

780 TJS
2,300 TJS

Fridge
or Freezer

1,100 TJS

690 TJS
1,500 TJS

Washing
Machine

1,300 TJS

900 TJS
2,300 TJS

Stove
or Cooker

1,100 TJS

840 TJS
1,500 TJS

Mobile
Phone

1,200 TJS

970 TJS
1,700 TJS

Laptop
or Computer

1,300 TJS

1,100 TJS
2,300 TJS

How do people spend their money in Tajikistan?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Tajikistan

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW840 TJS
AVERAGE3,400 TJS
HIGH7,200 TJS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW140 TJS
AVERAGE560 TJS
HIGH1,200 TJS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW190 TJS
AVERAGE750 TJS
HIGH1,600 TJS
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW370 TJS
AVERAGE1,500 TJS
HIGH3,200 TJS
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW210 TJS
AVERAGE840 TJS
HIGH1,800 TJS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW120 TJS
AVERAGE470 TJS
HIGH990 TJS
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW47 TJS
AVERAGE190 TJS
HIGH400 TJS
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW420 TJS
AVERAGE1,700 TJS
HIGH3,600 TJS
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Tajikistan

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,200 TJS
AVERAGE5,800 TJS
HIGH9,300 TJS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW180 TJS
AVERAGE700 TJS
HIGH1,400 TJS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW420 TJS
AVERAGE2,100 TJS
HIGH3,400 TJS
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW490 TJS
AVERAGE2,500 TJS
HIGH3,900 TJS
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW390 TJS
AVERAGE1,900 TJS
HIGH3,100 TJS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW210 TJS
AVERAGE1,100 TJS
HIGH1,700 TJS
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW70 TJS
AVERAGE350 TJS
HIGH560 TJS
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW600 TJS
AVERAGE3,000 TJS
HIGH4,800 TJS
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Tajikistan

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW2,600 TJS
AVERAGE9,000 TJS
HIGH13,000 TJS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW250 TJS
AVERAGE1,100 TJS
HIGH1,300 TJS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW650 TJS
AVERAGE2,200 TJS
HIGH3,400 TJS
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,500 TJS
AVERAGE5,100 TJS
HIGH7,600 TJS
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW650 TJS
AVERAGE2,200 TJS
HIGH3,400 TJS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW410 TJS
AVERAGE1,400 TJS
HIGH2,100 TJS
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,100 TJS
AVERAGE3,900 TJS
HIGH5,900 TJS
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW980 TJS
AVERAGE3,400 TJS
HIGH5,100 TJS
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Tajikistan

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW280 TJS
AVERAGE1,700 TJS
HIGH3,600 TJS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW47 TJS
AVERAGE280 TJS
HIGH610 TJS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW82 TJS
AVERAGE490 TJS
HIGH1,100 TJS
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW230 TJS
AVERAGE1,400 TJS
HIGH3,000 TJS
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW70 TJS
AVERAGE420 TJS
HIGH910 TJS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW58 TJS
AVERAGE350 TJS
HIGH760 TJS
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW220 TJS
AVERAGE1,300 TJS
HIGH2,900 TJS
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW180 TJS
AVERAGE1,100 TJS
HIGH2,300 TJS
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Tajikistan typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 5,000 TJS with expenditure ranging from 1,200 TJS and 8,400 TJS. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Tajikistan ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 670 TJS with 150 TJS and 1,100 TJS being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 340 TJS to 2,300 TJS on commuting with 1,400 TJS being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Tajikistan is 2,600 TJS. The cost of groceries can range between 640 TJS to 4,400 TJS. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Tajikistan allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 330 TJS to 2,300 TJS with 1,400 TJS being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 200 TJS to 1,400 TJS with 820 TJS being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,400 TJS per month with 370 TJS being the minimum spent amount and 2,400 TJS being the maximum.

©copound