Cost Of Living in Tanzania

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Tanzania

Whether you're living in Tanzania or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,000,000 TZS
average per month
250,000 TZS
Range
2,200,000 TZS

Couple
1,900,000 TZS
average per month
380,000 TZS
Range
3,000,000 TZS

Family
3,000,000 TZS
average per month
890,000 TZS
Range
4,600,000 TZS

Student
760,000 TZS
average per month
130,000 TZS
Range
1,600,000 TZS
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Tanzania is 1,000,000 TZS. Expenses can range from 250,000 TZS at the minimum level to 2,200,000 TZS at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Tanzania is 1,900,000 TZS. Expenditure can range from 380,000 TZS to 3,000,000 TZS per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Tanzania is 3,000,000 TZS per month. Families spend anywhere from 890,000 TZS to 4,600,000 TZS.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Tanzania is 760,000 TZS. Students spend from 130,000 TZS to 1,600,000 TZS per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Tanzania

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

250 TZS

250 TZS
250 TZS

Fast food
combo meal

2,500 TZS

1,800 TZS
4,200 TZS

Restaurant
meal for one

8,400 TZS

6,700 TZS
11,000 TZS

Fine dining
meal for one

21,000 TZS

14,000 TZS
25,000 TZS

Soda
Soft Drink

210 TZS

210 TZS
210 TZS

Cappuccino
or latte

1,700 TZS

1,100 TZS
2,500 TZS

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1,300 TZS

1,100 TZS
1,400 TZS

Loaf of
bread

180 TZS

160 TZS
210 TZS

12
eggs

1,300 TZS

1,100 TZS
1,600 TZS

Fresh whole
chicken

2,900 TZS

2,300 TZS
3,600 TZS

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

3,300 TZS

2,800 TZS
4,200 TZS

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

1,800 TZS

1,600 TZS
2,100 TZS

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

840 TZS

700 TZS
1,100 TZS

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

910 TZS

790 TZS
970 TZS

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

870 TZS

770 TZS
970 TZS

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1,300 TZS

1,100 TZS
2,500 TZS

Average car
full tank

8,400 TZS

6,300 TZS
17,000 TZS

Average car
1-day rental

8,400 TZS

6,300 TZS
13,000 TZS

Average car
price

6,300,000 TZS

3,200,000 TZS
8,400,000 TZS

Bus ticket
one way

320 TZS

210 TZS
630 TZS

Car
Service

13,000 TZS

8,400 TZS
25,000 TZS

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

61,000 TZS

15,000 TZS
130,000 TZS

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

76,000 TZS

19,000 TZS
150,000 TZS

Electricity
and water bill
Family

120,000 TZS

27,000 TZS
140,000 TZS

Internet
and cable

13,000 TZS

6,300 TZS
17,000 TZS

Mobile phone
charges

8,400 TZS

5,100 TZS
25,000 TZS

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

4,200 TZS

3,200 TZS
6,300 TZS

One month gym
membership

13,000 TZS

10,000 TZS
25,000 TZS

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

11,000 TZS

7,500 TZS
16,000 TZS

Woman
dress

9,700 TZS

7,000 TZS
32,000 TZS

Woman
shoes

9,100 TZS

6,700 TZS
21,000 TZS

Men
shoes

7,000 TZS

5,800 TZS
14,000 TZS

Men
suit

7,900 TZS

6,300 TZS
42,000 TZS

Regular
t-shirt

4,200 TZS

3,200 TZS
13,000 TZS

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

160,000 TZS

110,000 TZS
420,000 TZS

1-bedroom
apartment

250,000 TZS

160,000 TZS
630,000 TZS

2-bedroom
apartment

320,000 TZS

210,000 TZS
840,000 TZS

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

32,000,000 TZS

21,000,000 TZS
63,000,000 TZS

1-bedroom
apartment

42,000,000 TZS

25,000,000 TZS
160,000,000 TZS

2-bedroom
apartment

130,000,000 TZS

42,000,000 TZS
250,000,000 TZS

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

160,000 TZS

130,000 TZS
210,000 TZS

Double
Bed

130,000 TZS

84,000 TZS
160,000 TZS

Single
Bed

97,000 TZS

75,000 TZS
130,000 TZS

Living
Room

180,000 TZS

140,000 TZS
630,000 TZS

Dining
Table

84,000 TZS

63,000 TZS
160,000 TZS

Sofa
or Couch

120,000 TZS

84,000 TZS
250,000 TZS

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

130,000 TZS

84,000 TZS
250,000 TZS

Fridge
or Freezer

120,000 TZS

75,000 TZS
160,000 TZS

Washing
Machine

140,000 TZS

97,000 TZS
250,000 TZS

Stove
or Cooker

120,000 TZS

91,000 TZS
160,000 TZS

Mobile
Phone

130,000 TZS

110,000 TZS
180,000 TZS

Laptop
or Computer

140,000 TZS

120,000 TZS
250,000 TZS

How do people spend their money in Tanzania?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Tanzania

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW91,000 TZS
AVERAGE360,000 TZS
HIGH780,000 TZS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW15,000 TZS
AVERAGE61,000 TZS
HIGH130,000 TZS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW20,000 TZS
AVERAGE81,000 TZS
HIGH170,000 TZS
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW41,000 TZS
AVERAGE160,000 TZS
HIGH340,000 TZS
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW23,000 TZS
AVERAGE91,000 TZS
HIGH190,000 TZS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW13,000 TZS
AVERAGE51,000 TZS
HIGH110,000 TZS
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW5,100 TZS
AVERAGE20,000 TZS
HIGH43,000 TZS
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW46,000 TZS
AVERAGE180,000 TZS
HIGH390,000 TZS
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Tanzania

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW130,000 TZS
AVERAGE630,000 TZS
HIGH1,000,000 TZS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW19,000 TZS
AVERAGE76,000 TZS
HIGH150,000 TZS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW46,000 TZS
AVERAGE230,000 TZS
HIGH360,000 TZS
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW53,000 TZS
AVERAGE270,000 TZS
HIGH430,000 TZS
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW42,000 TZS
AVERAGE210,000 TZS
HIGH330,000 TZS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW23,000 TZS
AVERAGE110,000 TZS
HIGH180,000 TZS
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW7,600 TZS
AVERAGE38,000 TZS
HIGH61,000 TZS
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW65,000 TZS
AVERAGE320,000 TZS
HIGH520,000 TZS
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Tanzania

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW280,000 TZS
AVERAGE970,000 TZS
HIGH1,500,000 TZS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW27,000 TZS
AVERAGE120,000 TZS
HIGH140,000 TZS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW71,000 TZS
AVERAGE240,000 TZS
HIGH360,000 TZS
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW160,000 TZS
AVERAGE550,000 TZS
HIGH820,000 TZS
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW71,000 TZS
AVERAGE240,000 TZS
HIGH360,000 TZS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW44,000 TZS
AVERAGE150,000 TZS
HIGH230,000 TZS
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW120,000 TZS
AVERAGE430,000 TZS
HIGH640,000 TZS
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW110,000 TZS
AVERAGE360,000 TZS
HIGH550,000 TZS
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Tanzania

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW30,000 TZS
AVERAGE180,000 TZS
HIGH400,000 TZS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW5,100 TZS
AVERAGE30,000 TZS
HIGH66,000 TZS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW8,900 TZS
AVERAGE53,000 TZS
HIGH120,000 TZS
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW25,000 TZS
AVERAGE150,000 TZS
HIGH330,000 TZS
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW7,600 TZS
AVERAGE46,000 TZS
HIGH99,000 TZS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW6,300 TZS
AVERAGE38,000 TZS
HIGH82,000 TZS
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW24,000 TZS
AVERAGE140,000 TZS
HIGH310,000 TZS
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW19,000 TZS
AVERAGE110,000 TZS
HIGH250,000 TZS
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Tanzania typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 540,000 TZS with expenditure ranging from 130,000 TZS and 910,000 TZS. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Tanzania ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 72,000 TZS with 16,000 TZS and 120,000 TZS being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 36,000 TZS to 250,000 TZS on commuting with 150,000 TZS being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Tanzania is 280,000 TZS. The cost of groceries can range between 70,000 TZS to 480,000 TZS. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Tanzania allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 36,000 TZS to 250,000 TZS with 150,000 TZS being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 22,000 TZS to 150,000 TZS with 89,000 TZS being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 160,000 TZS per month with 40,000 TZS being the minimum spent amount and 260,000 TZS being the maximum.

©copound