Cost Of Living in Thailand

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Thailand

Whether you're living in Thailand or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
78,000 THB
average per month
19,000 THB
Range
170,000 THB

Couple
150,000 THB
average per month
29,000 THB
Range
230,000 THB

Family
230,000 THB
average per month
68,000 THB
Range
350,000 THB

Student
58,000 THB
average per month
9,700 THB
Range
130,000 THB
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Thailand is 78,000 THB. Expenses can range from 19,000 THB at the minimum level to 170,000 THB at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Thailand is 150,000 THB. Expenditure can range from 29,000 THB to 230,000 THB per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Thailand is 230,000 THB per month. Families spend anywhere from 68,000 THB to 350,000 THB.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Thailand is 58,000 THB. Students spend from 9,700 THB to 130,000 THB per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Thailand

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

19 THB

19 THB
19 THB

Fast food
combo meal

190 THB

140 THB
320 THB

Restaurant
meal for one

650 THB

510 THB
810 THB

Fine dining
meal for one

1,600 THB

1,100 THB
1,900 THB

Soda
Soft Drink

16 THB

16 THB
16 THB

Cappuccino
or latte

130 THB

81 THB
190 THB

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

97 THB

81 THB
110 THB

Loaf of
bread

14 THB

12 THB
16 THB

12
eggs

97 THB

81 THB
120 THB

Fresh whole
chicken

230 THB

180 THB
280 THB

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

260 THB

220 THB
320 THB

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

140 THB

120 THB
160 THB

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

65 THB

54 THB
81 THB

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

69 THB

61 THB
75 THB

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

67 THB

59 THB
75 THB

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

97 THB

81 THB
190 THB

Average car
full tank

650 THB

490 THB
1,300 THB

Average car
1-day rental

650 THB

490 THB
970 THB

Average car
price

490,000 THB

240,000 THB
650,000 THB

Bus ticket
one way

24 THB

16 THB
49 THB

Car
Service

970 THB

650 THB
1,900 THB

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

4,700 THB

1,200 THB
9,900 THB

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

5,800 THB

1,500 THB
12,000 THB

Electricity
and water bill
Family

9,300 THB

2,000 THB
11,000 THB

Internet
and cable

970 THB

490 THB
1,300 THB

Mobile phone
charges

650 THB

390 THB
1,900 THB

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

320 THB

240 THB
490 THB

One month gym
membership

970 THB

780 THB
1,900 THB

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

810 THB

570 THB
1,200 THB

Woman
dress

750 THB

540 THB
2,400 THB

Woman
shoes

690 THB

510 THB
1,600 THB

Men
shoes

540 THB

440 THB
1,100 THB

Men
suit

610 THB

490 THB
3,200 THB

Regular
t-shirt

320 THB

240 THB
970 THB

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

12,000 THB

8,100 THB
32,000 THB

1-bedroom
apartment

19,000 THB

12,000 THB
49,000 THB

2-bedroom
apartment

24,000 THB

16,000 THB
65,000 THB

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

2,400,000 THB

1,600,000 THB
4,900,000 THB

1-bedroom
apartment

3,200,000 THB

1,900,000 THB
12,000,000 THB

2-bedroom
apartment

9,700,000 THB

3,200,000 THB
19,000,000 THB

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

12,000 THB

9,700 THB
16,000 THB

Double
Bed

9,700 THB

6,500 THB
12,000 THB

Single
Bed

7,500 THB

5,700 THB
9,700 THB

Living
Room

14,000 THB

11,000 THB
49,000 THB

Dining
Table

6,500 THB

4,900 THB
12,000 THB

Sofa
or Couch

8,800 THB

6,500 THB
19,000 THB

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

9,700 THB

6,500 THB
19,000 THB

Fridge
or Freezer

8,800 THB

5,700 THB
12,000 THB

Washing
Machine

11,000 THB

7,500 THB
19,000 THB

Stove
or Cooker

8,800 THB

6,900 THB
12,000 THB

Mobile
Phone

9,700 THB

8,100 THB
14,000 THB

Laptop
or Computer

11,000 THB

8,800 THB
19,000 THB

How do people spend their money in Thailand?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Thailand

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW7,000 THB
AVERAGE28,000 THB
HIGH60,000 THB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,200 THB
AVERAGE4,700 THB
HIGH9,900 THB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW1,600 THB
AVERAGE6,200 THB
HIGH13,000 THB
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW3,100 THB
AVERAGE12,000 THB
HIGH26,000 THB
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,800 THB
AVERAGE7,000 THB
HIGH15,000 THB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW970 THB
AVERAGE3,900 THB
HIGH8,300 THB
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW390 THB
AVERAGE1,600 THB
HIGH3,300 THB
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW3,500 THB
AVERAGE14,000 THB
HIGH30,000 THB
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Thailand

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW9,600 THB
AVERAGE48,000 THB
HIGH77,000 THB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW1,500 THB
AVERAGE5,800 THB
HIGH12,000 THB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW3,500 THB
AVERAGE18,000 THB
HIGH28,000 THB
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW4,100 THB
AVERAGE20,000 THB
HIGH33,000 THB
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW3,200 THB
AVERAGE16,000 THB
HIGH26,000 THB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW1,800 THB
AVERAGE8,800 THB
HIGH14,000 THB
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW580 THB
AVERAGE2,900 THB
HIGH4,700 THB
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW5,000 THB
AVERAGE25,000 THB
HIGH40,000 THB
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Thailand

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW22,000 THB
AVERAGE75,000 THB
HIGH110,000 THB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW2,000 THB
AVERAGE9,300 THB
HIGH11,000 THB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW5,400 THB
AVERAGE19,000 THB
HIGH28,000 THB
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW12,000 THB
AVERAGE42,000 THB
HIGH63,000 THB
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW5,400 THB
AVERAGE19,000 THB
HIGH28,000 THB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,400 THB
AVERAGE12,000 THB
HIGH18,000 THB
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW9,500 THB
AVERAGE33,000 THB
HIGH49,000 THB
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW8,200 THB
AVERAGE28,000 THB
HIGH42,000 THB
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Thailand

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW2,300 THB
AVERAGE14,000 THB
HIGH30,000 THB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW390 THB
AVERAGE2,300 THB
HIGH5,100 THB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW680 THB
AVERAGE4,100 THB
HIGH8,900 THB
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW1,900 THB
AVERAGE12,000 THB
HIGH25,000 THB
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW580 THB
AVERAGE3,500 THB
HIGH7,600 THB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW490 THB
AVERAGE2,900 THB
HIGH6,300 THB
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW1,800 THB
AVERAGE11,000 THB
HIGH24,000 THB
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW1,500 THB
AVERAGE8,800 THB
HIGH19,000 THB
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Thailand typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 41,000 THB with expenditure ranging from 10,000 THB and 70,000 THB. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Thailand ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 5,500 THB with 1,300 THB and 9,300 THB being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 2,800 THB to 20,000 THB on commuting with 12,000 THB being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Thailand is 22,000 THB. The cost of groceries can range between 5,300 THB to 37,000 THB. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Thailand allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 2,700 THB to 19,000 THB with 11,000 THB being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 1,700 THB to 12,000 THB with 6,800 THB being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 12,000 THB per month with 3,100 THB being the minimum spent amount and 20,000 THB being the maximum.

©copound