Cost Of Living in Togo

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Togo

Whether you're living in Togo or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
420,000 XOF
average per month
110,000 XOF
Range
900,000 XOF

Couple
790,000 XOF
average per month
160,000 XOF
Range
1,300,000 XOF

Family
1,300,000 XOF
average per month
370,000 XOF
Range
1,900,000 XOF

Student
320,000 XOF
average per month
53,000 XOF
Range
690,000 XOF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Togo is 420,000 XOF. Expenses can range from 110,000 XOF at the minimum level to 900,000 XOF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Togo is 790,000 XOF. Expenditure can range from 160,000 XOF to 1,300,000 XOF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Togo is 1,300,000 XOF per month. Families spend anywhere from 370,000 XOF to 1,900,000 XOF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Togo is 320,000 XOF. Students spend from 53,000 XOF to 690,000 XOF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Togo

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

110 XOF

110 XOF
110 XOF

Fast food
combo meal

1,100 XOF

760 XOF
1,800 XOF

Restaurant
meal for one

3,500 XOF

2,800 XOF
4,400 XOF

Fine dining
meal for one

8,800 XOF

5,900 XOF
11,000 XOF

Soda
Soft Drink

88 XOF

88 XOF
88 XOF

Cappuccino
or latte

710 XOF

440 XOF
1,100 XOF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

530 XOF

440 XOF
590 XOF

Loaf of
bread

76 XOF

66 XOF
88 XOF

12
eggs

530 XOF

440 XOF
660 XOF

Fresh whole
chicken

1,200 XOF

960 XOF
1,500 XOF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

1,400 XOF

1,200 XOF
1,800 XOF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

760 XOF

660 XOF
880 XOF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

350 XOF

290 XOF
440 XOF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

380 XOF

330 XOF
410 XOF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

360 XOF

320 XOF
410 XOF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

530 XOF

440 XOF
1,100 XOF

Average car
full tank

3,500 XOF

2,600 XOF
7,100 XOF

Average car
1-day rental

3,500 XOF

2,600 XOF
5,300 XOF

Average car
price

2,600,000 XOF

1,300,000 XOF
3,500,000 XOF

Bus ticket
one way

130 XOF

88 XOF
260 XOF

Car
Service

5,300 XOF

3,500 XOF
11,000 XOF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

25,000 XOF

6,300 XOF
54,000 XOF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

32,000 XOF

7,900 XOF
63,000 XOF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

51,000 XOF

11,000 XOF
57,000 XOF

Internet
and cable

5,300 XOF

2,600 XOF
7,100 XOF

Mobile phone
charges

3,500 XOF

2,100 XOF
11,000 XOF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

1,800 XOF

1,300 XOF
2,600 XOF

One month gym
membership

5,300 XOF

4,200 XOF
11,000 XOF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

4,400 XOF

3,100 XOF
6,600 XOF

Woman
dress

4,100 XOF

2,900 XOF
13,000 XOF

Woman
shoes

3,800 XOF

2,800 XOF
8,800 XOF

Men
shoes

2,900 XOF

2,400 XOF
5,900 XOF

Men
suit

3,300 XOF

2,600 XOF
18,000 XOF

Regular
t-shirt

1,800 XOF

1,300 XOF
5,300 XOF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

66,000 XOF

44,000 XOF
180,000 XOF

1-bedroom
apartment

110,000 XOF

66,000 XOF
260,000 XOF

2-bedroom
apartment

130,000 XOF

88,000 XOF
350,000 XOF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

13,000,000 XOF

8,800,000 XOF
26,000,000 XOF

1-bedroom
apartment

18,000,000 XOF

11,000,000 XOF
66,000,000 XOF

2-bedroom
apartment

53,000,000 XOF

18,000,000 XOF
110,000,000 XOF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

66,000 XOF

53,000 XOF
88,000 XOF

Double
Bed

53,000 XOF

35,000 XOF
66,000 XOF

Single
Bed

41,000 XOF

31,000 XOF
53,000 XOF

Living
Room

76,000 XOF

59,000 XOF
260,000 XOF

Dining
Table

35,000 XOF

26,000 XOF
66,000 XOF

Sofa
or Couch

48,000 XOF

35,000 XOF
110,000 XOF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

53,000 XOF

35,000 XOF
110,000 XOF

Fridge
or Freezer

48,000 XOF

31,000 XOF
66,000 XOF

Washing
Machine

59,000 XOF

41,000 XOF
110,000 XOF

Stove
or Cooker

48,000 XOF

38,000 XOF
66,000 XOF

Mobile
Phone

53,000 XOF

44,000 XOF
76,000 XOF

Laptop
or Computer

59,000 XOF

48,000 XOF
110,000 XOF

How do people spend their money in Togo?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Togo

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW38,000 XOF
AVERAGE150,000 XOF
HIGH320,000 XOF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW6,300 XOF
AVERAGE25,000 XOF
HIGH54,000 XOF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW8,500 XOF
AVERAGE34,000 XOF
HIGH72,000 XOF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW17,000 XOF
AVERAGE68,000 XOF
HIGH140,000 XOF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW9,500 XOF
AVERAGE38,000 XOF
HIGH81,000 XOF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW5,300 XOF
AVERAGE21,000 XOF
HIGH45,000 XOF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,100 XOF
AVERAGE8,500 XOF
HIGH18,000 XOF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW19,000 XOF
AVERAGE76,000 XOF
HIGH160,000 XOF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Togo

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW52,000 XOF
AVERAGE260,000 XOF
HIGH420,000 XOF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW7,900 XOF
AVERAGE32,000 XOF
HIGH63,000 XOF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW19,000 XOF
AVERAGE95,000 XOF
HIGH150,000 XOF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW22,000 XOF
AVERAGE110,000 XOF
HIGH180,000 XOF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW17,000 XOF
AVERAGE87,000 XOF
HIGH140,000 XOF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW9,500 XOF
AVERAGE48,000 XOF
HIGH76,000 XOF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW3,200 XOF
AVERAGE16,000 XOF
HIGH25,000 XOF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW27,000 XOF
AVERAGE130,000 XOF
HIGH220,000 XOF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Togo

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW120,000 XOF
AVERAGE410,000 XOF
HIGH610,000 XOF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW11,000 XOF
AVERAGE51,000 XOF
HIGH57,000 XOF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW30,000 XOF
AVERAGE100,000 XOF
HIGH150,000 XOF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW67,000 XOF
AVERAGE230,000 XOF
HIGH340,000 XOF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW30,000 XOF
AVERAGE100,000 XOF
HIGH150,000 XOF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW19,000 XOF
AVERAGE63,000 XOF
HIGH95,000 XOF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW52,000 XOF
AVERAGE180,000 XOF
HIGH270,000 XOF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW44,000 XOF
AVERAGE150,000 XOF
HIGH230,000 XOF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Togo

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW13,000 XOF
AVERAGE76,000 XOF
HIGH170,000 XOF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW2,100 XOF
AVERAGE13,000 XOF
HIGH28,000 XOF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW3,700 XOF
AVERAGE22,000 XOF
HIGH48,000 XOF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW11,000 XOF
AVERAGE63,000 XOF
HIGH140,000 XOF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW3,200 XOF
AVERAGE19,000 XOF
HIGH41,000 XOF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,600 XOF
AVERAGE16,000 XOF
HIGH34,000 XOF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW10,000 XOF
AVERAGE60,000 XOF
HIGH130,000 XOF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW7,900 XOF
AVERAGE48,000 XOF
HIGH100,000 XOF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Togo typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 220,000 XOF with expenditure ranging from 55,000 XOF and 380,000 XOF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Togo ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 30,000 XOF with 6,900 XOF and 51,000 XOF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 15,000 XOF to 110,000 XOF on commuting with 63,000 XOF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Togo is 120,000 XOF. The cost of groceries can range between 29,000 XOF to 200,000 XOF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Togo allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 15,000 XOF to 100,000 XOF with 62,000 XOF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 9,000 XOF to 63,000 XOF with 37,000 XOF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 66,000 XOF per month with 17,000 XOF being the minimum spent amount and 110,000 XOF being the maximum.

Lome  
©copound