Cost Of Living in Tonga

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Tonga

Whether you're living in Tonga or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,500 TOP
average per month
370 TOP
Range
3,100 TOP

Couple
2,700 TOP
average per month
550 TOP
Range
4,400 TOP

Family
4,400 TOP
average per month
1,300 TOP
Range
6,600 TOP

Student
1,100 TOP
average per month
180 TOP
Range
2,400 TOP
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Tonga is 1,500 TOP. Expenses can range from 370 TOP at the minimum level to 3,100 TOP at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Tonga is 2,700 TOP. Expenditure can range from 550 TOP to 4,400 TOP per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Tonga is 4,400 TOP per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,300 TOP to 6,600 TOP.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Tonga is 1,100 TOP. Students spend from 180 TOP to 2,400 TOP per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Tonga

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.37 TOP

0.37 TOP
0.37 TOP

Fast food
combo meal

3.7 TOP

2.6 TOP
6.1 TOP

Restaurant
meal for one

12 TOP

9.6 TOP
15 TOP

Fine dining
meal for one

30 TOP

20 TOP
37 TOP

Soda
Soft Drink

0.30 TOP

0.30 TOP
0.30 TOP

Cappuccino
or latte

2.4 TOP

1.5 TOP
3.7 TOP

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1.8 TOP

1.5 TOP
2.0 TOP

Loaf of
bread

0.26 TOP

0.23 TOP
0.30 TOP

12
eggs

1.8 TOP

1.5 TOP
2.3 TOP

Fresh whole
chicken

4.3 TOP

3.3 TOP
5.2 TOP

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

4.8 TOP

4.1 TOP
6.1 TOP

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2.6 TOP

2.3 TOP
3.1 TOP

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.2 TOP

1.0 TOP
1.5 TOP

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.3 TOP

1.1 TOP
1.4 TOP

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.3 TOP

1.1 TOP
1.4 TOP

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1.8 TOP

1.5 TOP
3.7 TOP

Average car
full tank

12 TOP

9.1 TOP
24 TOP

Average car
1-day rental

12 TOP

9.1 TOP
18 TOP

Average car
price

9,100 TOP

4,600 TOP
12,000 TOP

Bus ticket
one way

0.46 TOP

0.30 TOP
0.91 TOP

Car
Service

18 TOP

12 TOP
37 TOP

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

88 TOP

22 TOP
190 TOP

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

110 TOP

27 TOP
220 TOP

Electricity
and water bill
Family

180 TOP

38 TOP
200 TOP

Internet
and cable

18 TOP

9.1 TOP
24 TOP

Mobile phone
charges

12 TOP

7.3 TOP
37 TOP

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

6.1 TOP

4.6 TOP
9.1 TOP

One month gym
membership

18 TOP

15 TOP
37 TOP

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

15 TOP

11 TOP
23 TOP

Woman
dress

14 TOP

10 TOP
46 TOP

Woman
shoes

13 TOP

9.6 TOP
30 TOP

Men
shoes

10 TOP

8.3 TOP
20 TOP

Men
suit

11 TOP

9.1 TOP
61 TOP

Regular
t-shirt

6.1 TOP

4.6 TOP
18 TOP

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

230 TOP

150 TOP
610 TOP

1-bedroom
apartment

370 TOP

230 TOP
910 TOP

2-bedroom
apartment

460 TOP

300 TOP
1,200 TOP

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

46,000 TOP

30,000 TOP
91,000 TOP

1-bedroom
apartment

61,000 TOP

37,000 TOP
230,000 TOP

2-bedroom
apartment

180,000 TOP

61,000 TOP
370,000 TOP

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

230 TOP

180 TOP
300 TOP

Double
Bed

180 TOP

120 TOP
230 TOP

Single
Bed

140 TOP

110 TOP
180 TOP

Living
Room

260 TOP

200 TOP
910 TOP

Dining
Table

120 TOP

91 TOP
230 TOP

Sofa
or Couch

170 TOP

120 TOP
370 TOP

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

180 TOP

120 TOP
370 TOP

Fridge
or Freezer

170 TOP

110 TOP
230 TOP

Washing
Machine

200 TOP

140 TOP
370 TOP

Stove
or Cooker

170 TOP

130 TOP
230 TOP

Mobile
Phone

180 TOP

150 TOP
260 TOP

Laptop
or Computer

200 TOP

170 TOP
370 TOP

How do people spend their money in Tonga?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Tonga

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW130 TOP
AVERAGE530 TOP
HIGH1,100 TOP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW22 TOP
AVERAGE88 TOP
HIGH190 TOP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW29 TOP
AVERAGE120 TOP
HIGH250 TOP
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW59 TOP
AVERAGE230 TOP
HIGH500 TOP
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW33 TOP
AVERAGE130 TOP
HIGH280 TOP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW18 TOP
AVERAGE73 TOP
HIGH160 TOP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW7.3 TOP
AVERAGE29 TOP
HIGH62 TOP
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW66 TOP
AVERAGE260 TOP
HIGH560 TOP
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Tonga

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW180 TOP
AVERAGE900 TOP
HIGH1,400 TOP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW27 TOP
AVERAGE110 TOP
HIGH220 TOP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW66 TOP
AVERAGE330 TOP
HIGH530 TOP
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW77 TOP
AVERAGE380 TOP
HIGH610 TOP
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW60 TOP
AVERAGE300 TOP
HIGH480 TOP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW33 TOP
AVERAGE160 TOP
HIGH260 TOP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW11 TOP
AVERAGE55 TOP
HIGH88 TOP
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW93 TOP
AVERAGE470 TOP
HIGH750 TOP
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Tonga

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW410 TOP
AVERAGE1,400 TOP
HIGH2,100 TOP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW38 TOP
AVERAGE180 TOP
HIGH200 TOP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW100 TOP
AVERAGE350 TOP
HIGH530 TOP
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW230 TOP
AVERAGE790 TOP
HIGH1,200 TOP
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW100 TOP
AVERAGE350 TOP
HIGH530 TOP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW64 TOP
AVERAGE220 TOP
HIGH330 TOP
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW180 TOP
AVERAGE610 TOP
HIGH920 TOP
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW150 TOP
AVERAGE530 TOP
HIGH790 TOP
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Tonga

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW44 TOP
AVERAGE260 TOP
HIGH570 TOP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW7.3 TOP
AVERAGE44 TOP
HIGH95 TOP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW13 TOP
AVERAGE77 TOP
HIGH170 TOP
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW37 TOP
AVERAGE220 TOP
HIGH480 TOP
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW11 TOP
AVERAGE66 TOP
HIGH140 TOP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW9.1 TOP
AVERAGE55 TOP
HIGH120 TOP
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW35 TOP
AVERAGE210 TOP
HIGH450 TOP
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW27 TOP
AVERAGE160 TOP
HIGH360 TOP
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Tonga typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 770 TOP with expenditure ranging from 190 TOP and 1,300 TOP. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Tonga ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 100 TOP with 24 TOP and 170 TOP being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 53 TOP to 370 TOP on commuting with 220 TOP being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Tonga is 410 TOP. The cost of groceries can range between 100 TOP to 690 TOP. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Tonga allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 52 TOP to 360 TOP with 210 TOP being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 31 TOP to 220 TOP with 130 TOP being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 230 TOP per month with 58 TOP being the minimum spent amount and 380 TOP being the maximum.

©copound