Cost Of Living in Trinidad and Tobago

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Trinidad and Tobago

Whether you're living in Trinidad and Tobago or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
7,800 TTD
average per month
2,000 TTD
Range
17,000 TTD

Couple
15,000 TTD
average per month
2,900 TTD
Range
24,000 TTD

Family
24,000 TTD
average per month
6,900 TTD
Range
35,000 TTD

Student
5,900 TTD
average per month
980 TTD
Range
13,000 TTD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Trinidad and Tobago is 7,800 TTD. Expenses can range from 2,000 TTD at the minimum level to 17,000 TTD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Trinidad and Tobago is 15,000 TTD. Expenditure can range from 2,900 TTD to 24,000 TTD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Trinidad and Tobago is 24,000 TTD per month. Families spend anywhere from 6,900 TTD to 35,000 TTD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Trinidad and Tobago is 5,900 TTD. Students spend from 980 TTD to 13,000 TTD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Trinidad and Tobago

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

2.0 TTD

2.0 TTD
2.0 TTD

Fast food
combo meal

20 TTD

14 TTD
33 TTD

Restaurant
meal for one

65 TTD

52 TTD
82 TTD

Fine dining
meal for one

160 TTD

110 TTD
200 TTD

Soda
Soft Drink

1.6 TTD

1.6 TTD
1.6 TTD

Cappuccino
or latte

13 TTD

8.2 TTD
20 TTD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

9.8 TTD

8.2 TTD
11 TTD

Loaf of
bread

1.4 TTD

1.2 TTD
1.6 TTD

12
eggs

9.8 TTD

8.2 TTD
12 TTD

Fresh whole
chicken

23 TTD

18 TTD
28 TTD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

26 TTD

22 TTD
33 TTD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

14 TTD

12 TTD
16 TTD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

6.5 TTD

5.5 TTD
8.2 TTD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

7.0 TTD

6.1 TTD
7.5 TTD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

6.8 TTD

5.9 TTD
7.5 TTD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

9.8 TTD

8.2 TTD
20 TTD

Average car
full tank

65 TTD

49 TTD
130 TTD

Average car
1-day rental

65 TTD

49 TTD
98 TTD

Average car
price

49,000 TTD

25,000 TTD
65,000 TTD

Bus ticket
one way

2.5 TTD

1.6 TTD
4.9 TTD

Car
Service

98 TTD

65 TTD
200 TTD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

470 TTD

120 TTD
1,000 TTD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

590 TTD

150 TTD
1,200 TTD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

940 TTD

210 TTD
1,100 TTD

Internet
and cable

98 TTD

49 TTD
130 TTD

Mobile phone
charges

65 TTD

39 TTD
200 TTD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

33 TTD

25 TTD
49 TTD

One month gym
membership

98 TTD

78 TTD
200 TTD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

82 TTD

58 TTD
120 TTD

Woman
dress

75 TTD

54 TTD
250 TTD

Woman
shoes

70 TTD

52 TTD
160 TTD

Men
shoes

54 TTD

45 TTD
110 TTD

Men
suit

61 TTD

49 TTD
330 TTD

Regular
t-shirt

33 TTD

25 TTD
98 TTD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,200 TTD

820 TTD
3,300 TTD

1-bedroom
apartment

2,000 TTD

1,200 TTD
4,900 TTD

2-bedroom
apartment

2,500 TTD

1,600 TTD
6,500 TTD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

250,000 TTD

160,000 TTD
490,000 TTD

1-bedroom
apartment

330,000 TTD

200,000 TTD
1,200,000 TTD

2-bedroom
apartment

980,000 TTD

330,000 TTD
2,000,000 TTD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,200 TTD

980 TTD
1,600 TTD

Double
Bed

980 TTD

650 TTD
1,200 TTD

Single
Bed

750 TTD

580 TTD
980 TTD

Living
Room

1,400 TTD

1,100 TTD
4,900 TTD

Dining
Table

650 TTD

490 TTD
1,200 TTD

Sofa
or Couch

890 TTD

650 TTD
2,000 TTD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

980 TTD

650 TTD
2,000 TTD

Fridge
or Freezer

890 TTD

580 TTD
1,200 TTD

Washing
Machine

1,100 TTD

750 TTD
2,000 TTD

Stove
or Cooker

890 TTD

700 TTD
1,200 TTD

Mobile
Phone

980 TTD

820 TTD
1,400 TTD

Laptop
or Computer

1,100 TTD

890 TTD
2,000 TTD

How do people spend their money in Trinidad and Tobago?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Trinidad and Tobago

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW710 TTD
AVERAGE2,800 TTD
HIGH6,000 TTD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW120 TTD
AVERAGE470 TTD
HIGH1,000 TTD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW160 TTD
AVERAGE630 TTD
HIGH1,300 TTD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW310 TTD
AVERAGE1,300 TTD
HIGH2,700 TTD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW180 TTD
AVERAGE710 TTD
HIGH1,500 TTD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW98 TTD
AVERAGE390 TTD
HIGH830 TTD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW39 TTD
AVERAGE160 TTD
HIGH330 TTD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW350 TTD
AVERAGE1,400 TTD
HIGH3,000 TTD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Trinidad and Tobago

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW970 TTD
AVERAGE4,900 TTD
HIGH7,800 TTD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW150 TTD
AVERAGE590 TTD
HIGH1,200 TTD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW350 TTD
AVERAGE1,800 TTD
HIGH2,800 TTD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW410 TTD
AVERAGE2,100 TTD
HIGH3,300 TTD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW320 TTD
AVERAGE1,600 TTD
HIGH2,600 TTD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW180 TTD
AVERAGE880 TTD
HIGH1,400 TTD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW59 TTD
AVERAGE290 TTD
HIGH470 TTD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW500 TTD
AVERAGE2,500 TTD
HIGH4,000 TTD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Trinidad and Tobago

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW2,200 TTD
AVERAGE7,500 TTD
HIGH11,000 TTD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW210 TTD
AVERAGE940 TTD
HIGH1,100 TTD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW550 TTD
AVERAGE1,900 TTD
HIGH2,800 TTD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,200 TTD
AVERAGE4,200 TTD
HIGH6,400 TTD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW550 TTD
AVERAGE1,900 TTD
HIGH2,800 TTD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW340 TTD
AVERAGE1,200 TTD
HIGH1,800 TTD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW960 TTD
AVERAGE3,300 TTD
HIGH4,900 TTD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW820 TTD
AVERAGE2,800 TTD
HIGH4,200 TTD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Trinidad and Tobago

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW240 TTD
AVERAGE1,400 TTD
HIGH3,100 TTD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW39 TTD
AVERAGE240 TTD
HIGH510 TTD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW69 TTD
AVERAGE410 TTD
HIGH890 TTD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW200 TTD
AVERAGE1,200 TTD
HIGH2,500 TTD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW59 TTD
AVERAGE350 TTD
HIGH760 TTD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW49 TTD
AVERAGE290 TTD
HIGH640 TTD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW190 TTD
AVERAGE1,100 TTD
HIGH2,400 TTD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW150 TTD
AVERAGE880 TTD
HIGH1,900 TTD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Trinidad and Tobago typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 4,200 TTD with expenditure ranging from 1,000 TTD and 7,000 TTD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Trinidad and Tobago ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 560 TTD with 130 TTD and 940 TTD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 280 TTD to 2,000 TTD on commuting with 1,200 TTD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Trinidad and Tobago is 2,200 TTD. The cost of groceries can range between 540 TTD to 3,700 TTD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Trinidad and Tobago allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 280 TTD to 1,900 TTD with 1,100 TTD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 170 TTD to 1,200 TTD with 690 TTD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,200 TTD per month with 310 TTD being the minimum spent amount and 2,000 TTD being the maximum.

©copound